Medical Alert Systems (Lifeline/Life Alert etc)

• Gold Top Dog

We used the Life Alert system for my mother prior to her moving into an Assisted Living Facility.  Great company, affordable (it was about $45.00 per month).  The equipment is a box with a big red button on it and is tied to the phone line.  We kept the box on her bed side table.  She also had a pendant/call button which could be worn on a necklace or around the wrist.

This system is truly a life saver.  Before she moved in with me, and was still living alone in her own home...she needed to use it.  She had fallen down, rather slipped away from her walker and was down on the ground.  She wore the pendant around her neck...so pushed the button.  Those paramedics were at her house and broke open the door in swift time.  It was truly phenominal service.

I would recommend that company, their people and their equipment to anyone!

• Gold Top Dog
    I also definitely recommend this kind of service. My great-aunt had one, as did both of my grandmothers. Very, very useful.

We got ours through our relatives' primary care doctors. Have you tried asking yours for recommendations? That's where I would start.

• Gold Top Dog
    Boyfriends grandmother has one - Life Alert, I believe. She had a stroke a few years ago, and that's part of the reason we live behind her - however, with our crazy work schedule, she needs to have something in the house with her. Have you tried talking to your local EMS provider and see who they recommend?

I wish my grandpa had something like this last year, he fell in his house and was there for two days before someone found him on the floor :(
    • Gold Top Dog

Thanks again for all of the great input.  We are starting with the non-monitored one that calls 4 designated phone numbers and sets an alarm off in the house.  My dad travels some, but most of the time he is there with her.  With the alarm sounding and it calling the house phone first, it will give him a chance to wake up and help her.  Then we will have it call my brother, me and lastly 911.  You have the ability to put a prerecorded message on it, and the person on the phone can also listen in to what's going on.  We will look into the monitored ones if things get to that point, but right now, it is just a little extra security for her that one of us will know if she falls and can come help her since we all live fairly close. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Because I have so many different health problems, myuvision is so bad I worry about tripping over something of misjudging and falling-----and hubby is a cross country truciker, I am home so much with just my Honey --I have considered getting one of those things, at leas til hubby fully retires.  Life Alert is the one I hve been thinking about.
    • Puppy

I'm not too big a fan of medical alert systems at all. The fact that you cannot know where to buy nembutal by any of such systems just tells you that they're of no use. I don't ever see myself using such systems.