best dog breed to keep deer/critters off of property

• Bronze

best dog breed to keep deer/critters off of property

My Wife and I live on 3 acres of property that is covered with an invisible fence.  We have been having trouble with deer and other critters coming on our land and destroying garden, small trees, et all.  We are consider getting a dog to keep the critters off of property and was wonder what would be a good breed to do so that would honor the invisible fence?

Thanks

• Gold Top Dog

Welcome to the forum.Big Smile By invisible fence, do you mean the type in which a dog wears a collar that gives a shock when he crosses the electrical field? I think any dog would honor that; my understanding is that you can adjust the amount of shock the dog gets and decrease it as he learns the boundaries. You may not need a pure bred dog for chasing critters; our dog is a GSD mix, (mostly shepherd, probably with lab and beagle), and she will chase any critter, anytime. Most dogs instinctively chase animals that invade their territory.

• Bronze

Thanks.....and yes I meant the one that the dog wears the collar.  The reason I asked about that portion was I read on-line that the catahoula dog breed have enough of a pain tolerance they would run through the fence to continue to chase the deer.  I should mention that for the first time in 10 years we were hit by feral hogs as well.  We have trapped 8 so far but sure there are more......

• Gold Top Dog

We don't have feral hogs in our area, but I've seen programs about them and I'm sorry that you're dealing with them. If you want a dog that can handle them I don't know what breed that would be. The dog would have to be large, very intelligent, and agile in order to avoid being tusked. I'm sure others on this forum will be able to help, but I honestly wouldn't want my dog fighting a hog because it (the dog) could be seriously injured.

ETA;  I hope what I'm about to say doesn't offend you, but wanting to keep animals off your property should not be the primary reason for wanting a dog. The members of this forum are dog people and have dogs because we love them, and that is our primary reason for having them.

• Gold Top Dog

I saw a program on tv, where they used a Great Dane to catch the feral hogs and if I remember correctly some pitty x's. Its not like they just ran the property either they had handlers/owners that supervised the scenario and got the dog out of there if things got sketchy.

ETA: I 'm sure there was extensive training involved, it was not for a novice.

• Bronze

Yeah...I understand the concern with the feral hogs.  This is the first time in 10 years we had this issue and hopefully we will not again for a while.  The deer are the biggest issue.  I rode bike today and say 20 plus in the areas outside of my house.  As a side not the hogs did not have tusk (of the 8 we caught).  I wonder if it just the males that do.

• Bronze

Janice,

I agree with your comment about having dogs because you love them.  I have a whippet which is my house dog and understand that sentiment.

• Gold Top Dog

All feral hogs have tusks...boars just get bigger and protrude. A sow with piglet to watch over can slice most any dog to ribbons. This is why most hog hunters use multiple dogs, and the dogs wear KEVLAR vests to protect them. If you are willing to deal with the inevitable vet bills I would look into Livestock Guardian breeds like the Pyrenees, Tibetan Mastiff, Anatolian, Maremma, and Kuvaz. There are others. Googling Livestock Guardian Dog should yeild some results. Most of these breeds are barkers...especially at night, so if barking bothers you, or anyone else in your area you might consider that as well.

I am not sure about the aggression level of a LGD to deer. They may be viewed as livestock since technically they pose about zero threat to a dog unless provoked. They may see off the hogs, coyotes, bears...but leave the deer alone. Something to consider.

Akitas are quite capable of seeing off deer...in fact there are many instances where they have taken down and dispatched said same all on their own. they are quite highly prey driven. They also are...as many prey driven dogs are...impervious to a high level of pain...which would probably make your fence even on the highest setting...a mere nusiance to be dealt with when chasing a deer. They are also quite aggressive towards other canids...so bear that in mind.

Understand what you are asking. You are asking for a dog brave enough to take on the odd feral hog and coyote...chase deer...but stop, in full prey acquisition mode, to stop because the fence may zap it. Most truly prey driven dogs...do not stop if there's a chance of getting their prey. You might consider a bird dog type...those have it in them to somewhat "freeze" upon the arrival of prey...even if it is a short distance from the end of their nose. Setters, Pointers, some of the Spaniels...etc. They tend to be somewhat easily trained using stim from collars...in fact this is how many are trained for the field.

I would not send a bird dog out where there are hogs tho. I would not send anything less than a game Terrier breed or LGD out on that sort of mission. Perhaps one of the larger sighthounds...like a Borzoi or Wolfhound.

If you have not...consider a movable fence like http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=401&cat_id=53. It is easily put up...and powered...movable, and from every single thing I have read? VERY unpalatable to deer!

ETA: my disclaimer....

I am really not against nor do I have an aversion to dogs working at a job. But I do think this is a potentially dangerous job. And I hope you've given very very careful thought to the fact that this living creature you bring into this situation to work, could be killed by even an angry doe that senses even for a moment...that the dog has a weaker will than she does. It happens. To say nothing of the stag. The life of a working patrol dog is VERY difficult...and I really would sit and think very carefully about the time you'd need to invest to train the dog and the possibility of it dying as a result of the job you set for it. It happens...in just about every sport and work out there. It doesn't mean no one should ever work a dog. It just means that every person who works a dog...even if it's "just" fribee competitions or conformation should understand that because of their choices the dog is at risk. Be comfortable and respectful of that...and be sure you are up for it. If the dog is going to put it's life on the line...it should at least be doing it for someone who can respect and honor that.

• Gold Top Dog

From what you say, you do not see using the dog(s) to get rid of the hogs/deer  -  just to make them move away - but most of the probable scenarios playing a single dog in a hog infested area are bad news for the dog.

To add to what RwBeagles said (great post and thinking process, Gina), if the hogs are there in numbers high enough for you to get eight, no single dog would be safe. You would need some kind of a mixed pack to be able to flush, stand, and possibly finish off the hogs, and even then, without human intervention at the finishing off, you would risk losses. Not to diminish what deer can do but there are two things in the wild in the US that I am truly frightened off, one is feral hogs, the other grizzly bears.  Moreover, if you have hogs and deers, there is a strong possibility you have coyotes also. Those, when working together, are bad news for most lone dogs too.

Think hard about what is the most valuable - a life or a garden - and do not let you whippet out until the hog situation is under control.

• Gold Top Dog
    You may also consider your laws. Here it is illegal for your dog/dogs to chase wildlife. Even on your own property and if chased onto someone else The dog could be shot. we keep our dogs in a 6ft no climb (horse fencing) fence. their barking alone usually keeps the deer at bay. our garden and orchard are the same fencing only 10ft. It keeps the wild life out except for all our under ground wild life (windmills are great for them) anf the occasional moose,they are hard on Fencing. :
    • Gold Top Dog

I've got to add one more thot --

You have an "invisible fence" that you want the dog to honor -- HOWEVER -- think about the position this puts the dog in ... are the hogs, deer, or whatever going to nicely stop AT THE LINE (or over it) ?? No. 

The drawback to an invisible fence is the fact that the DOG is the only one who honors it -- pests can come and go as they please -- OR they can charge your dog and then the dog has no way to get away FROM the other animal. 

Honesty?  Put up a regular fence.  Have a dog because you WANT one -- not to "guard" but then be left completely vulnerable and TRAPPED by the very fence it's not supposed to violate but the predators will KNOW that the dog is trapped (it's easy to see the dog wants to "stop" at a certain point).

Please -- this just isn't a good situation to put ANY animal in - it's inhumane to put a dog in a no-win situation like that.  To expect the dog, in chase-the-prey mode to stop AT the fence?  Most won't.  But then they're afraid to come back IN the fence boundary (not getting shocked twice!!)

And if they DO honor the fence then they get trashed by the animals they WANT to chase away.

Ugh.

• Gold Top Dog
    rwbeagles

All feral hogs have tusks...boars just get bigger and protrude. A sow with piglet to watch over can slice most any dog to ribbons. This is why most hog hunters use multiple dogs, and the dogs wear KEVLAR vests to protect them. If you are willing to deal with the inevitable vet bills I would look into Livestock Guardian breeds like the Pyrenees, Tibetan Mastiff, Anatolian, Maremma, and Kuvaz. There are others. Googling Livestock Guardian Dog should yeild some results. Most of these breeds are barkers...especially at night, so if barking bothers you, or anyone else in your area you might consider that as well.

I am not sure about the aggression level of a LGD to deer. They may be viewed as livestock since technically they pose about zero threat to a dog unless provoked. They may see off the hogs, coyotes, bears...but leave the deer alone. Something to consider.

Akitas are quite capable of seeing off deer...in fact there are many instances where they have taken down and dispatched said same all on their own. they are quite highly prey driven. They also are...as many prey driven dogs are...impervious to a high level of pain...which would probably make your fence even on the highest setting...a mere nusiance to be dealt with when chasing a deer. They are also quite aggressive towards other canids...so bear that in mind.

Understand what you are asking. You are asking for a dog brave enough to take on the odd feral hog and coyote...chase deer...but stop, in full prey acquisition mode, to stop because the fence may zap it. Most truly prey driven dogs...do not stop if there's a chance of getting their prey. You might consider a bird dog type...those have it in them to somewhat "freeze" upon the arrival of prey...even if it is a short distance from the end of their nose. Setters, Pointers, some of the Spaniels...etc. They tend to be somewhat easily trained using stim from collars...in fact this is how many are trained for the field.

I would not send a bird dog out where there are hogs tho. I would not send anything less than a game Terrier breed or LGD out on that sort of mission. Perhaps one of the larger sighthounds...like a Borzoi or Wolfhound.

If you have not...consider a movable fence like http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=401&cat_id=53. It is easily put up...and powered...movable, and from every single thing I have read? VERY unpalatable to deer!

ETA: my disclaimer....

I am really not against nor do I have an aversion to dogs working at a job. But I do think this is a potentially dangerous job. And I hope you've given very very careful thought to the fact that this living creature you bring into this situation to work, could be killed by even an angry doe that senses even for a moment...that the dog has a weaker will than she does. It happens. To say nothing of the stag. The life of a working patrol dog is VERY difficult...and I really would sit and think very carefully about the time you'd need to invest to train the dog and the possibility of it dying as a result of the job you set for it. It happens...in just about every sport and work out there. It doesn't mean no one should ever work a dog. It just means that every person who works a dog...even if it's "just" fribee competitions or conformation should understand that because of their choices the dog is at risk. Be comfortable and respectful of that...and be sure you are up for it. If the dog is going to put it's life on the line...it should at least be doing it for someone who can respect and honor that.

I'm quoting this because I think it's an excellent post. Another thing to consider is the needs of your dog - most livestock guardian breeds are okay living outside because they have livestock to guard, so the livestock becomes their "pack." If you are keeping a dog to guard your garden, not other animals, the dog is going to become extremely lonely if left outside by itself. Lonely dogs tend to resort to self-entertainment that is problematic for humans - for example, digging (often in the garden, because the dirt is softer and more fun), running through the electric fence (in search of entertainment, like animal chasing or visiting the neighbors), or incessant barking for attention. Basically, keeping a dog outdoors by itself is not a good idea for either you or the dog.

In your situation, I might consider a non-animal solution, maybe something like an "air cannon" to repel the animals with noise? (example: http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1928.html) You might also try ultrasonic noise generators. I have also read that strobe lights will disorient deer enough to keep them away.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Gold Top Dog

Personally, I would fence off the garden and landscape with trees and shrubs that deer don't like.  There are quite a few that deer don't find tasty but even those can fall prey to deer during times of drought.   The hogs are a huge problem around here and most areas of Texas.  I wouldn't use a dog to try and keep hogs off your propery as others have said the risk to the dog would be more than I was willing to take.  I tend to be the type of person who feels that if I live somewhere that wildlife live that I need to adjust to the wildlife as best possible.  Around these parts there are a lot of people who will trap hogs on your property for no charge.  The problem is they reproduce very fast and it's a never ending problem to control their numbers. 

• Gold Top Dog

JackieG

Personally, I would fence off the garden and landscape with trees and shrubs that deer don't like.  There are quite a few that deer don't find tasty but even those can fall prey to deer during times of drought.   The hogs are a huge problem around here and most areas of Texas.  I wouldn't use a dog to try and keep hogs off your propery as others have said the risk to the dog would be more than I was willing to take.  I tend to be the type of person who feels that if I live somewhere that wildlife live that I need to adjust to the wildlife as best possible.  Around these parts there are a lot of people who will trap hogs on your property for no charge.  The problem is they reproduce very fast and it's a never ending problem to control their numbers. 

I have to agree with using real fencing to keep the deer and hogs out and your dogs safe. As an Alaskan, I know how to cope with rather large wildlife. I understand that the hogs aren't really wildlife. Is there any kind of program to round them up and get them to slaughter?

I had to deal with feral domestic rabbits and that was a nightmare. I trapped them all out, and had some help from a fox on the rest. It took me a year to get them all. All except one black buck with red eyes that I dubbed the Satanic Rabbit. :-)

I think there are lots of remedies for deer infestation, too, but it is illegal to chase deer (or moose) with dogs. Good luck, and I hope you find some good options that work!

• Gold Top Dog
    Most dogs who would keep animals off your property, are not going to respect an invisible fence. I have an LGD mix, who loves chasing deer, and despite acting sensitive to an invisible fence at other times, he would run through it in order to chase deer. I believe most LGDs have a sort of selective pain tolerance, if they wanted to do something, regardless of pain, they most likely would. I would also recommend a fence to keep wildlife off the property. And if fencing the whole area isn't possible, you could look at fencing your garden, or areas you didn't want destroyed. I personally, would never put a dog, or dogs, unsupervised against deer or boars. There's too much risk of injury to the dog, in my opinion. I know Amanda has problems with hogs sometimes, and she keeps all her dogs inside until it's dealt with. She has Dobermans.