Moving suggestions plz!

• Gold Top Dog

Moving suggestions plz!

Sooo we're moving in less than 2 weeks (ACK!) and I'm starting to get close to hitting the panic button - I really have no idea how to approach this.  

The details:

• interstate move of a 3bd, 2 ba house, 2 people, 3 dogs, and a cat
    • moving company has been hired to pack, move, and unload
    • packing will occur Friday the 16th, moving the morning of the 17th
    • I will be here during the weeks until the 16th but away the weekend of the 10th (in the new city prepping for moving stuff into the new house, figuring out location of furniture, bringing up some stuff we wanted to move ourselves).
    • DH will be away until the eve of the 15th, but will supervise the movers on the 16th, and stay for our cleaning person and rental walkthrough on the 17th
    • I will be at work the morning of the 16th, have a drs appt in the afternoon, and will drive up to the new house with the dogs on the evening of the 16th.  I will supervise the unloading process at the new house until DH gets up there to help unpack.

Sooooo since this will be the first time I will have prepped for a move by myself (first moves were with my parents' help, the last move with DH) and the first move where we've been able to have others pack our stuff, what do I need to do before the 16th?!  It seems like I should be doing some packing and organizing this weekend/week but I have no idea where to start or what is most important to do.

Right now I know that I'll be taking a carload of stuff up on the 9th - artwork, the cat and his basic necessities, some clothes for the following weekend, some stuff from the freezer/fridge, a couple dog beds, and the dogs (just for the weekend, they will go back with me on Sunday), but that's about it.

I need help!

• Gold Top Dog

I don't like being packed because if they find a spool of thread in the kitchen drawer it gets packed like it BELONGS there.  And, you really have to eagle eye them or they will pack perishables like bread, and already perished things, like the bag of trash.  If you don't mind what boxes things are in, do nothing.  It drives me insane not to know exactly what is in which box, so I do my packing in a way that makes sense to me.

I always have a load last, unload first box with tp, bathroom and kitchen stuff,lightbulbs, but I guess that won't really apply to you since you've likely got some of that stuff in the new house.  Really, since you're paying for packing, all you need to do is make sure that things are located in logical places for you, so that like things get packed together.  If you can make arrangements for the dogs the day of packing and loading, that's always best.  Day care or a play date.......

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I have moved across the country (minimum of 2000 miles) 9 times, 3 of which in the last 2 years.  I know what's going thru your head. :)

Although, it sounds like you're close enough to drive there and back within a day or two. 

stardog85
    what do I need to do before the 16th?! 
    • Movers will not transport plants - decide which ones you want to keep or give away, (or find room in your vehicles to transport)
    • Movers are also leery of transporting particle board furniture - expect it to be chipped, dented, split, or something on the other end. 
    • Movers might mark that your stuff was soiled if they find a mound of dust or dog hair from a place you rarely access (behind the furniture, etc), which gives them an out if there's damage done during the trip.  So, pull the furniture out, suck up the dog hair, etc.  Plus, it saves you the embarassment.  (Sister just cleaned the bottom drawer of the stove and found a bunch of dust.)
    • Drain the gasoline out of your lawnmower, generator, other equipment that has gas in it.  Movers won't transport stuff w/gas in it. 

stardog85
    I will be at work the morning of the 16th, have a drs appt in the afternoon, and will drive up to the new house with the dogs on the evening of the 16th. 

- So, does that mean you won't be supervising them packing on the 16th?

• stardog85
      It seems like I should be doing some packing and organizing this weekend/week but I have no idea where to start or what is most important to do.

• What should be obvious, is packing up the things NOW that you don't use - that will save you money for them to pack it. 
  • DO NOT pack up your towels and comforters and blankets first.  They make good packing cushions for things you want to pack or transport yourself.  Why pay for paper when you can use your own towels.  Even hand-towels can be wrapped around a little figurine you want to transport in your car.  Generally, I use up all my towels/blankets packing things before I ever finish packing.
  • Go through your cabinets and drawers - the more empty those are, the faster your packing and move will go
  • Packers will pack everything in sight without discrimination - if it was in the same area as something else, it all goes in the box together.  Your leather jacket in with your spice rack if they're next to eachother.  There's no organization.  You might see your garbage can heading toward the moving truck - create a space where it's CLEAR these things are being packed, these things are not, these things are coming w/me in my car.  If you can, dedicate one room to the stuff that you have packed that the movers should take.  Dedicate one closet to the stuff you want to hide that they SHOULD NOT access.
  • Sub-topic to that above is to go through areas of your house and group things together that you want to have together - get that leather coat into your closet... or into the garage with your winter clothes.
  • Papers, jewelry, anything you need to keep safe, put in a place that these guys won't see it to consider packing it for you.  (ie, don't leave your jewelry box on your bureau if they're in your room moving furniture)
  • Movers will pack things like breakables with a gazillion pieces of paper - that's fine, but that adds to your # of boxes for them to move.  I'm OK with letting them pack up dishes and glasses - they're pro's and do a good job.  But I wrap up my own awkwardly shaped, potentially breakable items like artwork, larger "figurines" - I have some Dobe statues, a Buddha, etc.  They would take something like that, wrap it in a gazillion pieces of paper, and then stuff it into one box of its own.
  • See if you can get a wardrobe box ahead of time so you can stuff the bottom with comforters or shoes - the movers don't generally do that.
  • On the other end:

• Since you're having professionals pack, get yourself prepared for the things that might go missing, and highlight those box #s in your lists as you're watching them back.  (We're still missing bottles of wine & the wine rack.  How, I don't know.)
    • It's the furniture and break-able boxes that need to be inspected before your movers leave the house - a quick visual as something gets carried in won't reveal the split in the side of the wood panel (which a mover is conveniently covering w/their body as they move it in.)

For the trip:

• Bring clean-up supplies - you never know which dog/cat may yack or have diarrhea in their crate.  I also bring a towel to dry them off if it rains at a rest stop or their feet get ultra muddy
    • The dogs don't need to pee/poop as often as people may think (unless they get carsick)
    • I keep photocopies of my driver's license, insurance cards, passport, etc in case my wallet is stolen mid-trip, or my box of papers gets misplaced.  At least I have something to start with if I need to prove my identity,etc.
    • Since it seems like you're close enough to get there in a day then having a weather radio might not be necessary. My uncle insisted I have one because I was traveling through the middle of the country.
    • Also, for those traveling longer distances - your CDs will become boring as heck, and radio stations across the country can be sketchy.  Books on CD are good for these types of long trips.

Ask away if you have any questions.  We're packing now, in prep for professional movers.  Did the same thing a year ago to get here to Denver.  I've moved with pros, with just my family using a U-Haul, and also "whatever-will-fit-in-my-car".  I've moved 38 times total in my life - I'm semi-pro at it by now. lol

• Gold Top Dog

Did you pay for them pack everything up? If so, you really don't have to do much but stay out of their way. There are some things that I just don't trust to packers, such as my mom's china and stuff like that. However, know that if you pack it yourself, they sometimes won't cover breakage for that box or item. I do agree with Glenda that they're in the business of getting the job done and if that means packing a full garbage can....well, it can happen. Also wanted to mention that generally if they take something apart, they must put back together at the destination.

Funny story but when I moved back from Georgia, they took my futon couch apart. When it got here, the packers couldn't find any of the nuts & bolts to put it back together. I'd only bought insurance that covered damage based on the weight. They told me all I'd get reimbursed for was the price of the nuts and bolts. I had another couch by then, so it wasn't a huge deal and I did find the bag of nuts and bolts in one of my under the bed storage boxes months later. Ahhh...the joys of moving Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Cats will freak out, so have them in a crate during the entire process...Smile    Ours disappeared in the cellar among the heating ducts, and it took her 2 days of quiet to come out!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

cakana
    the packers couldn't find any of the nuts & bolts to put it back together.

Our movers had a box that was dedicated to just the nuts/bolts of things they took apart.  We took it upon ourselves to put each one in a ziplock, but they would paper-wrap each collection for a specific piece of furniture, and write the name on it.

cakana
    know that if you pack it yourself, they sometimes won't cover breakage for that box or item.
    No doubt - my sister packed a box of vases and it arrived smashed to heck - they had clearly dropped it and THAT is the reason why allowing the pro's to wrap your breakables is good, because they'll do a good job (or else they have to pay for it).  But it will be a waste for the larger/awkward things.

Watching them dedicate a single box to a lampshade still cracks me up.

Also, be prepared to tip the packers separately from the movers - and the more individual funds you can slap in each individual's hand, the better - you will see one guy working his tail off who deserves more $$, vs one guy you might just give a $10 to.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the tips so far!  I do remember someone saying that professional movers will pack everything in site, so I'm planning on doing what Paige said and making a few areas "off limits" for packing purposes.  I'm thinking about clearing out an office so that the dogs have a place to stay and I have a room where I can put things I'm taking and a trash can. Wink

Paige, DH will be here to supervise on the 16th, I will not.  He's pretty nitpicky at times so i have full faith in his supervisory ability. Smile   We are planning on labeling each room the same for both houses so that the movers know exactly where they need to go once at the new house.  I will be there to supervise the unloading as well.

The house is a 3 hour drive from our current place, so the trip I make with the critters will be easy peasy.

Luckily I should be able to move all the artwork/breakables with sentimental value and plants myself and we don't have any fiberboard type furniture that will be going with us, so that shouldn't be an issue.  I will ask about getting a wardrobe box or three ahead of time as I'd like to pack those myself anyway, especially if they don't generally fill up the bottoms.   I'm out of luck with the dog hair under furniture since our couch is the likeliest collector of dust bunnies and it's way too heavy for me to move myself.

Some great suggestions and tips so far, especially from our resident moving expert. Wink  Keep 'em coming! Smile

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

marty_ga
    Cats will freak out, so have them in a crate during the entire process...Smile  

Agreed!  Just one guy opening a door to see if the room needs to be packed (even though you told everyone NO) is all it takes for an animal to escape.  Put a sign on the door that says - ANIMALS INSIDE< DO NOT OPEN, or something like that.
    • Gold Top Dog

That's one main reason Pi is moving in a week ahead of the move - he'll also be crated when the movers are bringing stuff in.  I'm planning on putting a sign on the room animals are in and putting up a baby gate (36" tall) as well as a back up.

• Gold Top Dog
    For the dogs, Rascal always gets really excited if I leave one of his beds out and all of his favorite squeaky toys right away. So practically the first thing he sees in the new place is his favorite dog bed and all of his toys. He still gets nervous about the new residence ("OMG don't abandon me here!";), but he does get really happy seeing all of his favorite things in a new place.

We actually just finished moving me in to my new apartment - I'm typing this from a hotel in the area, since I have to get a new bed for my place (old one didn't fit). IMO the MOST important things when you are moving are 1) RELAX! (I'm bad at this part.) 2) Have a list of "critical" items and either mark them VERY clearly or transport them separately (like in your car). For me, these are things like my phone and charger, checkbooks, any unresolved papers/to-dos from the old place, computer/supplies, dog food, dog leash(es, just in case), dog meds, people meds, a change of clothes, etc. My philosophy is basically "if only this one box comes through to the other side, I'll still be okay for a day or two." Also, anything that absolutely can't be lost for days on end - then you know it's safe and sound.

• Gold Top Dog

Paige has it pretty well covered!

For the animals, I, too take their favorite beds and toys so that they know the new place is their home.  To make things easier I also premeasure out meals.

My last tip is breeeeaathe and try to relax :)

• Bronze

Looking for reliable Junk Removal in Athens, GA, and surrounding areas? Look no further! Our expert team ensures quick, efficient, and eco-friendly disposal of your unwanted items. Enjoy a clutter-free space with our affordable services. Call us today and experience top-notch customer service!