What breed?

• Bronze

What breed?

Hi all,

I was hoping for some opinions as to what breed my dog could be.  He is about 9 months old and 22 lbs.  This is Toby:

The white on his face tends to get a bit shaggier and I've clipped it, but otherwise his coat is in it's natural state.  In the belly shot, note the undershot jaw.  In the last pic, note the brindle.  He was a shelter rescue, I think originally a stray.  I have my guess as to his breeding, but would like yours first!  Thanks,  Jubadove

• Gold Top Dog

Boston Terrier/Jack Russell?

• Gold Top Dog

Schnauzer mixed with Boston Terrier.

Tena

• Bronze

^^ my thoughts exactly.

Absolutely adorable!

• Gold Top Dog

My guess is going to be a little different then everybody elses.  I see Border Terrier in his build.  So I'll guess Border Terrier/Boston Terrier mix.

Border Terriers:

http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=border+terrier&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=4HiASsubBYjYNYiO9PoC&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

• Gold Top Dog

Schnauzer x?

• Bronze

I was thinking that a larger breed was involved seeing as he is 22 lbs at 9 months old.  He stands 16 inches at the shoulders.

Boston Terrier:  10-25 lbs, 15-17 inches

Jack Russell:  ? lbs, 10-15 inches

Border Terrier:  11-16 lbs, 11-16 inches

Schnauzer:  12-100 lbs, 12-27.5 inches  (duh, I never even thought of a larger schnauzer breed until right now, I just had mini on the brain!)

My thoughts have been Boxer/Schnauzer cross.  He has the boxer build, the brindle, the undershot jaw, and a whole lot of Boxer personality.  High energy, goofy, strong willed and not so brilliant at times!!  He really reminds me of our deceased Boxer, but smaller and wire haired.  That said, I have never been around some of these other breeds much and am not familiar with their personalities.

The Boston could give the brindle, jaw, and build I would think.  Just add some Schnauzer or Border Terrier for the coat.  (Wonders if a Boston/Border would give enough size?  Maybe?)

I have had someone else tell me they have seen a Boston Terrier/Jack Russell that looks like him.  (Again....size?)

His shelter labeled him as a Boxer/Border Terrier cross.  His neuter papers label him as a Schnauzer cross.  I have been calling him a Schnoxer lately.  (Schnauzer/Boxer)   We do call him handsome and loved!!

Thanks for all the guesses, I just might have to spring for a DNA test.  Has anyone here had any experience with the results of these tests?  If I had at least one breed confirmed than he could be called a ______ cross!! Big Smile

ETA: Found some threads here about DNA testing, checking them out now.

• Gold Top Dog

I'd go with Boston/Schnauzer as well.  There are some larger Bostons, they just aren't to standard.  We have an over 30lb Boston who comes in to board at work.  If you looked at a pic, you'd not know he was huge for his breed. It's only in person, especially when he's standing next to his normal sized housemate, that you realize he's massive.

• Gold Top Dog

Jubadove

...ETA: Found some threads here about DNA testing, checking them out now.

Don't waste your money- they aren't very accurate.

• Gold Top Dog

His stance and tail say Boston.  He's far too small for Boxer, and I think the Brindle comes from the Boston.  He could have Border Terrier, but depending on where he comes from, I'd reserve my guess.  I don't think it's Schnauzer - he seems to have a more wiry coat - so I guess either Border or wire haired JRT.  Since Border Terriers aren't as common as JRT's, I'm going with Boston/JRT.  Of course, we could all be wrong:-)

• Gold Top Dog
    I'm going to go wild and crazy and say Crested is in there. The pattern of heavier hair growth on the extremities is what makes me think that. I'm really keen on the Boston idea also. My neighbors have a Boston and I can totally see the similarities. Bostons are a shorty breed, so if you cross that with a breed that's got "normal" dog shape genetics, you can get a dog the "size" of a Boston, but the shape/leg length of the Crested, which is more whippet shaped. It's a bit like a lurcher cross. The bully crosses always end up with longer legs. As a small breed he won't grow much more in height, if any.
    • Bronze

Jilly Cooper has written a book titled Intelligent and Loyal: a celebration of the mongrel.  In it she classifies mutts into some humerous types.  I've decided Toby is a cross between the "Woolly Whitejaw", characterized by a wiry astrakhan coat, white moustache and beard, elegant Angela Rippon legs, and the "Betrand Russell", which is a rough-coated, slightly shaggier version of a Jack Russell, comes in all colors, has a merry nature, is highly intelligent, and has terrier ancestry. Wink  That would make him a Woolly Russell or a Bertrand Whitejaw!!  Or I could follow the Australians and call him a Bitser, a bit of this and a bit of that!  Hmmm....still not sure...

• Gold Top Dog

Bitser!  Perfect.  He's incredibly cute no matter what you call him.  Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

I'm with Anne - boston/jack.

he's a cutie!

• Puppy

I'm guessing boston/jack as well.

He's got a very nice color.