Breed decisions are imminent! (corvus)

• Gold Top Dog

Breed decisions are imminent! (corvus)

Getting our next dog has become more than just idle musings this week. Kivi has been with my parents to give Penny a break and he is just wallowing in supreme happiness at the live-in dog park that is my parents' house. He is keeping himself constantly worn out as every time he finds some energy he burns it all up wrestling with Jill, playing tug with Shani, digging a hole to China, and playing wild games of tag with Jill. He is SO happy there I kinda feel bad about bringing him back here with us.

As I have mentioned in NDR, this week is Penny's last with us. I was thinking that maybe Kivi will be all right as an only dog for a while, but I've changed my mind. The timing is just quite good for another pup. I'm working only two days a week and often from home, and Kivi is just at that age where he's quite easy to look after and coming along very well with his obedience, but still wild about other dogs and about as energetic and playful as he's ever going to be. He thoroughly adores puppies and is capable of being very good with them once he settles down. Shani is less than half his size and I'm told they are getting along famously. Kivi doesn't really care what games everyone wants to play as long as they will play them with him, but he does especially love a boisterous wrestle.

Anyway, our breed of choice has changed several times in the last week. It was a Saluki for a few days until we reluctantly agreed that we might have trouble finding enough time to exercise one, then it was a Swedish Vallhund, which got scrubbed on the basis of noise, then we had a breif foray into Berners, but abandoned that one on the basis of size and health, then it was Bulldogs, which were also abandoned on health, then Dobes, abandoned on exercise requirements, and now it's settled on Shiba Inus. I am a bit worried about the Shibas, but my partner is keen on them and has done some research of his own in which he has found out a lot of the good things about Shibas but perhaps not many of the bad things.

I still want an Akita most, and am trying to swing a meeting with a local breeder who has 6 week old puppies at the moment. I still want a Basenji as well, but my breeder of choice is not having a litter this year, and my partner for some reason isn't wild about Basenjis (how could you not be wild about Basenjis??).

I tried my hardest to convince the man that we wanted another Lapphund, but he just would not hear of it. I tried also to convince him that we wanted a German Spitz, PBGV, or a Puli. It didn't work.

So here we are, looking like we are going to end up with a Japanese breed of some kind. I know I've asked about Shibas before, but is there any last minute advice people can offer to pass onto my partner? I researched the hell out of Akitas a few years ago when I wanted one, so I'm feeling confident about them, but haven't been able to pin anyone down on Shibas, really.

• Gold Top Dog

I've met quite a few nice shebas. Tend to be pretty healthy - I think. Playful, SMART. Not overly tolerante of kids - at least the ones I met - but I'm sure that's mostly in how you raise them

• Gold Top Dog

Not sure how breeders are in Australia..i know in the US alot of reputable breeders are very divided on what "correct" temperment is for an akita...some feel that the breed is traditionaly a guard dog, and by standard should be very aloof, sometimes even unaccepting of strangers...and some breeders feel that despite history, there dogs should accept everything and everyone...so just make sure you ask the breeder what there ideal of temperment is and make sure that matches with something you can live with.  I didnt know when i bought my Diesel, but have since then found a few others from the same breeding (some of different litters), that have all had some temperment "issues" of being aggressive- Diesel loves women and children, and generally is accepting of men as long as they arent overly confident and dont approach him wrong, but it has taken extensive training to get him to even tolerate another dog (besides the ones tha tlive with us)...and hes been like that since 12 weeks old- definatly no lack of socialization, it has been obvious from his upbringing that genetics have played a big impact in his attitude towards other animals.  Even though he will tolerate other dogs, id never turn him loose to socialize with other dogs i didnt know...he would not accept that well at all!

Other than that, keep in mind this is a very independent breed, very intelligent, but that does not mean that they will obey you at every command!  I can watch how he handles things and see that he comprehends alot of what i do with him, but asking him to perform can be another story! , so if your wanting a highly obedient dog- this may not be the dog for you.

On a good note, very clean breed of dog, very affectionate and attached with those they love....and who can say an akita isnt a beautiful dog!

• Gold Top Dog

Obedient? Meh, I've no interest in dogs that routinely do what they're told. Wink

Kivi Tarro's recall has come really good lately and someone with an Aussie and a Golden told me they were hugely impressed with how fast he recalls even when someone else is giving out food. I shrugged it off, thinking to myself that it was pretty easy. Then I thought about it and realised it actually hadn't been that easy. For all that Kivi is pretty into people and so laid back and easy going, he is still a spitz breed and he won't do anything that he doesn't think is in his best interests. If he doesn't want to do what he's been asked to do he won't. The only difference between him and my mother's super independent Vallhund or my friend's Sibe is that he sometimes does things he's asked to do because he can't immediately think of something he'd rather be doing. The Vallhund and Sibe carefully weigh up the pros and cons of doing something every time you ask and "I don't want to" rates as a really high con. I love that about them. You can't be lazy with a dog that thinks like that. 

Akitas are a good deal more uncommon over here than they are in the States. I've only met a few, but they have all been pretty mild-mannered. Certainly confident and quite self-contained, but not aggressive by any stretch of the word. It pays to be very careful about who you are getting one off, though, no matter where you are. It's not a breed to be taken lightly, is it?

• Gold Top Dog

Definately not to be taken lightly.  Two out of the three that I know are very much like my chow, aloof, unaccepting of strangers, not great with other animals.  And, they started out GREAT and changed once adolescence hit. 

The third one I know is extremely well trained and realiable off leash and with people.  But, again, he's trained formally and constantly. 

Maybe you would like a Keeshond, they aren't Japanese but sort of along the look/type you seem to like. 

• Gold Top Dog
    my friend has a shiba inu pup. he actually asked me to look after him for 2 weeks while he went to Seattle but he called me really last minute as his first and second options decided they couldn't deal with the responsbility. I would have loved to take care of the puppy but it was too short notice and I had to work alot in those 2 weeks :-/ I don't really know much about shiba inu's except that they're tiny and cute and adorable. I've met one at Petsmart and it was awesome lol
    • Gold Top Dog

We decided we didn't want anything with as much hair or more than Kivi. It takes time to care for it all! Shibas are at the top of the list at the moment, but we'll see how it pans out over the next few weeks in talking to breeders.

• Gold Top Dog

I walk a Shiba 5x per week for 2 years now. She's very aloof with strangers and a major escape artist. She's very cat-like, also.

• Gold Top Dog

I've heard that Shibas are very independent and not reliable off leash.

• Gold Top Dog

Any particular reason you want a purebred dog?  Seems like a mix might fit your needs *and* you'd get a very unique dog. ;)

The above being said, I've heard a lot about how scary intelligent shibas are, their acrobatics, and their independant nature.  They are neat dog, but not for the faint of heart!

• Gold Top Dog

stardog85

Any particular reason you want a purebred dog?  Seems like a mix might fit your needs *and* you'd get a very unique dog. ;)

The above being said, I've heard a lot about how scary intelligent shibas are, their acrobatics, and their independant nature.  They are neat dog, but not for the faint of heart!

Yeah, good thinking Stardog! I think a "mutt" would be perfect!

• Gold Top Dog

Isn't it kind of hard to find a mutt puppy with a very, very specific temperament? In my experience, it's a little hard to tell what a dog's personality is going to be like in 2 years, unless you know the temperaments of the parents and relatives. I had no idea that Emma would turn out like she did, and if I had, I might have had a little more patience for her idiotic puppy years.

• Gold Top Dog

For me it's not been too hard to find pups that are exactly what I need, but part of that may be that I work at a shelter so i see a LOT of pups.  Z was adopted at 5.5mo and she's the happy-go-lucky socialite and fast, focused agility dog I was looking for.  Kes was 4mo when he came home and so far he's the hard-headed, rough and tumble, speedy, and scary smart dog I thought he would be.

The key for me was not settling for a pup just because of a cute face or the right timing, but taking the time to interact with a lot of dogs *after* I had made a list of what I needed.  Z is literally everything I had on my "what i want in my second dog" list except for breed and gender! I'll be honest that I didn't have a list made up before Kes came home as a foster, but the more I got to know him, the more I realized he could teach me and that he had some of the traits I'd been leaning toward.

One of the other things that helped me was being able to foster the dogs I liked before adopting to ensure that they were healthy and had the temperaments I was looking for and that they fit in the household (Maggie is a difficult dog to get along with at times).  This foster scenario can easily be set up if you connect up with a rescue ime.

A mix isn't right for everyone and there may be factors at play in the OPs situation I'm not aware of, but I can't help but promote mixed breeds when someone isn't completely set on a breed yet and I know would be a great dog owner for almost any dog. Wink

• Gold Top Dog

I dunno, I just prefer purebreeds. I like getting a puppy from a breeder who will have lots of advice and always be ready to help out. I like having a pretty good idea of what to expect. I like knowing the pup's parents have been health tested.

I don't really want to get an adult dog as we have the rabbits to account for. I don't want a shelter dog. We did that once and it was a disaster and I don't want other people's problems in dog form. It's just not my scene. Having said that, I think we're going to check out the shelters just in case, but I don't expect to find anything I'd be interested in because the shelters over here are full of Staffy crosses, Kelpie crosses, ACD crosses, Sibes and pigdog mixes (Wolfhound/Bullmastiff things). And a whole bunch of terrier things.

• Gold Top Dog

corvus
    I don't want a shelter dog. We did that once and it was a disaster and I don't want other people's problems in dog form. It's just not my scene.

First, let me say I completely understand your desire for a purebred dog.  The ability to know with a fair amount of certainty what a dog will look and act like is important for many people.  I owned Labs for that very reason for many years.  I just want to say that adopting a shelter dog, though not for everyone, is not always a case of taking on someone else's problem dog.  There are wonderful dogs in shelters and given some love and training (just as you would a puppy) they can make fantastic pets.  My own dog Rex is a perfect example. :)

I'm posting this on behalf of shelter dogs everywhere and for the lurkers who might not have adopted from a shelter or might assume that all shelter dogs are damaged beyond repair.  I respect your desire for a purebred and am not directing any criticism toward you.