Question for herding experts (shadowsgin)

• Gold Top Dog

Question for herding experts (shadowsgin)

I got an email from another forum about a Newf needing a home, he was rescued by Big Dogs Huge Paws.  When I went to look at him I saw a beautiful 6 yr old girl that I have never heard of...... AKBASH.   I did a yahoo search for that name and turns out its a herding breed.  I have really learned alot here from our experts with herding breeds but I dont ever remember hearing this name.

Is this girl a rare breed?  She was surrendered because she kept jumping a 4 ft fence so I am assuming :) that she was a town dog not a rural dog.  Would a girl of this age be able to pick up herding?  She is absolutely gorgeous!  I dont have a place for her but a neighbor has milk goats and a Gr. Pyr., she may have an interest but I wanted to hear from you before I approach her.

This is kinda rescue and breed related so I put it here..... sorry Mods if I should have put it somewhere else. 

• Gold Top Dog

Hi there,

According to dogbreedinfo.com, they state the dog is a livestock guardian.  There isn't anything there about herding.  They do state that they will need at least a 5' fence, are a rare breed and is probably a relative of the Komondor and Kuvasz.  I'd be interested to hear what anyone else on this site may say if they are familar with the breed... they are a pretty but serious dog from what I see :)

• Gold Top Dog

They are not really "rare" just probably not a lot registered with the AKC. They have a working registry or are FCI reg, as many of them are imported or direct import descendants. There's someone in the NC mts who breeds them, and a few more here and there in the state. In addition, I know a person who imports them directly from working farms in Turkey. She just brought a gorgeous young breeding pair recently. It's tempting but I don't need a long ranging dog like an Akbash.

They are actually closer related to the Anatolian or Kangal flock guardian dog. Most likely they are long-divided variations of the same strain. Both of them are a mix of sighthound and mastiff somewhat unusual among the LGDs. Both come in a smooth coated variety, and the Akbash has a long coated gene too. 

Like any LGD, you really can't keep them fenced in. 5' fencing would be more of a suggestion than a barrier. You'll have to train them to stay in your "territory" by bonding them with you and your family, and making sure they consider you the team leader. Akbash being more primitive, they require much more intense work in this area compared to the more human-friendly breeds like the Maremma and the Pyrenees.

They can be very dog aggressive. They are fine with dogs they grow up with, but strange dogs are always in danger.

They breed only once a year - that is, the ones from working stock.

They are probably the third most popular LGD here in North America. Their light or smooth coats makes them popular here in the south, along with the Kangal.

Here's a thread with a story my friend tells about smugg . . . - getting former LGDs out of Turkey through unofficial channels. Her story is about Kangals but I know she's gotten Akbash out too. Apparently the government confiscates sheep flocks and then turns the LGDs loose until they are poisoned or used as dogs in a newly flourishing dog fighting trade. Sad

Lots of cool pictures.

http://edgefieldsheep.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1826

• Gold Top Dog

I have an acquaintance who has a working sheep farm.  She had a coyote problem.  The coyotes would hide in the agility tunnels (within 50 feet of the backdoor of the house) and steal the lambs.  She also lost sheep in the larger hilly pastures.  She now uses a Pyr for the fields close to the house and an akbash for the more distant fields.  You may have seen his picture if you get the Spring Time Cataloge for Bug Off Garlic supplement.  She has zero pred. loss now.   He is rumored to have run down a coyote,  one fast big dog.  He came from a working ranch in TX (as a started guardian).

• Gold Top Dog

mrv
    He came from a working ranch in TX (as a started guardian).

Interesting, I have a friend with a ranch in Texas who owns Pyr's and Akbash.  He's used them for years and years to guard his goats and sheep.  I've got a pic somewhere of two of the Akbash we saw last time we were there. 

http://www.spanishgoats.org/bloodlines.htm#Syfan  edited to add this

Here's an article about Tom and Meta, good friends I've known for many years.  The article mentions the different dogs they use.  He and his wife also trained and trialed Labs for many years, which is how we met.