Finn - What do you think I am?

• Gold Top Dog

Finn - What do you think I am?

I know he's young, but I'm curious what you all think.  He'll be five months later this month.  He is 29 pounds right now.  He's also not really white like the pictures make him look.  He's more of a yellow color, like a lab.  Also, he came from Georgia, if that is any help.

Also, how big do you think he'll get.  If he's 29 pounds at 4 months, will he be huge?  The shelter said to expect a large dog.  I think his paws look small and he seems a bit stalky to become a huge dog.

• Gold Top Dog

That there's a GeeOHjah Mountain Yaller Dawg.

Ie, Shepherd/lab/pit/hound/herding dog pls someone's pet terrier thrown in for good measure.

• Gold Top Dog

haha!  I think you have just mentioned every breed we think we see in him.  DH swears he sees pit, which I have seen on occasion.  I first saw cattledog because of his long body.  Lab for his coloring.  Shepherd ears.  Some coarse fur on his back for terrier.  Also, the woman at the shelter saw basenji in his face.  I figured he probably has quite a few breeds in him!

I'd love to hear what other people see in him!

• Gold Top Dog

Do you see any distinct breeds in these dogs?

This last one gives you a clue as to what these dogs really are - completely unassociated from any established "breed" - multigenerational mutts known as "village dogs." Sometimes a yaller dog is just a yaller dog. Smile

• Gold Top Dog

i agree with the above. i've heard them called "Natural Dogs" too.. same thing though. multigenerational mutts. sometimes certain traits are stonger than others... shepherd markings, or yellow colour, or curly tails as well as pointy ears, but really they are too mixed to matter lol

he's so cute though! he must get great reception with those ears!

• Gold Top Dog

Here's my yeller, village dog. lol  I call him a lab/shep mix because it's so common in our area but he is probably a multi generational mix like Becca described.  Finn and he could be related based on the ears. lol  We almost named him Radar instead of Rex.

• Gold Top Dog
    • Gold Top Dog

Here's one of mine:

beautiful wise old Maggie - nearly sixteen and never been ill a day in her life. Still highly active, keeping up with the kids on their bike rides in the woods and going with us when we graze the sheep (just for company).

My other yaller dog, the famous not-a-Leonberger, Lynn - I do know her mix but it's a good illustration of how once you get more than a couple of very different genetics in the mix, things start averaging out fast. Half Golden (or possibly 1/4 Golden, 1/4 Chow), 1/4 Border Collie, 1/4 Dutch Shepherd:

• Gold Top Dog

brookcove

Here's one of mine:

beautiful wise old Maggie - nearly sixteen and never been ill a day in her life. Still highly active, keeping up with the kids on their bike rides in the woods and going with us when we graze the sheep (just for company).

Beautiful is right!  I can't remember- do you know what Maggie is mixed with?  She looks like there might be some Elkhound in there someplace.

• Gold Top Dog

JackieG

Gosh my heart's a-hammering - Rex is a stunner isn't he??!!!!

Gotta love the ears in this thread, and Finn just has the sweetest face Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks, Chuffy.  I am totally biased but I agree. Smile   

• Gold Top Dog

micksmom

brookcove

Here's one of mine:

Beautiful is right!  I can't remember- do you know what Maggie is mixed with?  She looks like there might be some Elkhound in there someplace.

We're not sure but I saw a local PBS show where they deliberately crossed Border Collies, Finnish Spitz, and terriers or fiests to make a custom squirrel dog. The dogs looked just like Maggie!

• Bronze

Big ear dogs, so cute, just like Chihuahua.

• Silver

I had to post!! I have my big eared myster mutt Bandit. He looks different in every single picture you take of him. LOL. I just told someone the other day that Bandit was a pure bred Mystery Mutt and they asked oh really what is that. I had to giggle and say an australian cattle dog, german shepherd, lab, boxer, pit, chow chow, and a little of this and a little of that. Bandit has a lot of the same things that your dog has, longer body, course hair on some parts, but Bandit has webbed feet. Bandit weighs about 60-65 lbs right now at a year and a half. He weighed about 50 around 8 months old. 

I think your dog could be a australian cattle dog, lab, bull terrier, german shepherd, with a little of that and this. I would guess he is going to be around 50-60 lbs like Bandit.

• Puppy

Hi he looks alot like my puppy he is 5 months and also from georgia we have been told our pup is lab/shep and maybe a bit of pit he is also about 25 pounds I tried to load a pic but its not working sorry couldnt be more help seen your post and had to reply