Need advice from dog handlers/showers (Aussie)

• Silver

Need advice from dog handlers/showers (Aussie)

I'm looking to get into showmanship by getting a new puppy I currently have 2 aussies that wouldnt do well in conformation, so they are going into agility.  Here's some pics from the breeder i'm going to look at, the female(first pic) is the pick of the litter and my favorite, though I love the blue eyed boy too(2nd pic).  What do you guys think?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Sango88/My%20RL%20pets/AggiePuppies030.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Sango88/My%20RL%20pets/AggiePuppies016.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Sango88/My%20RL%20pets/AggiePuppies003.jpg[/IMG]

• Gold Top Dog

I moved this to Breeds and added a breed mention. We do have people who show in conformation with Aussies. or own them and compete elsewhere here so hopefully they'll chime in.

Choosing a show pup is best left to your breeder and yourself IMO...along with anyone else heavily involved and familiar with the lines you are looking at. I show hounds for ex but I wouldn't try to pick a show pup from another breed without a LOT of study of their standard and tutorship from a mentor. Wink

The dogs if conformation is your intent...should be bred with an eye towards that, as well as other things if the breeder is into that. You should feel comfortable with them, asking anything that pops into your mind, and they should be comfy answering and offering said answers.

You should know their goals with the particular breeding, they should be able to share BOTH parents good and bad points...and any health screening that's been done. They should be able to tell you WHY a certain pup or puppy is a conformation prospect...and they should be willing to stand behind you and help you as you show...

Those are starting points...of course there is much more...but the right breeder at the outset is a huge important step...they will be your mentors and advisors and they should want you to do well with the puppy they sell you. It reflects on them and their breeding efforts, after all Wink

• Gold Top Dog

It has to do with so many things.  The pictures really do not offer any information that would allow someone to pick.  If there are videos of the puppies growing up, watch them.  Is the letter being evaluated for temperment and structure (by someone else)?  If not can you manage to get that done.

If not can you get a hold of Pat Hastings puppy puzzle video?

There are certain structure faults you want to avoid to be competitive in the ring (conformation and performance).  Length of bones in the forehand should be close to equal (important in single tracking); as is shoulder lay back and placement on the spine.  You need a level top line, and appropriate length of loin.  You need close to equal angulation front and rear.  The best time to examine these things in puppies is 7 weeks, sooner or  later you can not predict as well.

Recovery from startle, steady or pushy, interest in retrieving/chasing those are some of the items that can help define temperment and get an idea of a dog that could have the personality you would want.

• Gold Top Dog
    It is hard to tell by the pic, but does the white on the girl extend up to the shoulders and a little beyond? That would be a fault.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm NOT an Aussie person, but the earset looks kind of low on both those puppies. Are both parents champions? All four grandparents? Half-siblings? Is this breeder actively showing her dgos? NONE of those things are guarantees, but given the popularity of Aussies, they'd be a help.
    • Gold Top Dog

Right, the ears are not supposed to pass the eye line. However, these pups are at an age where their ears haven't perked up yet. They will most likley rise a bit as they go through their chewing phase.  Take a look at the parents. Where do the ears lay?

• Gold Top Dog

Hi there! Another member of the Aussie club, woo hoo! Puppy evaluations are hard, and best done by those with years and years of breeding experience and a proven kennel. I'll defer to them every time and most of the newer breeders I know have the more experience folks evaluate their litters to learn and get feedback too.

I show my Aussie a little bit. She's a nice dog, but not specials material. What I look for physically in a conformation Aussie is:

1. Movement -- the best moving dogs have a point in their gate where all four feet are off the ground and they are full extended up front and behind, giving them a trapizoid shape to their body outline. Big extension out front, extension behind and a picture of overall balance and fluidity.

2. Structure -- Front and rear angles, length of pastern, how far is the hock off the ground, any easy/westy action up front, are they square in the rear. At 8 weeks you get a pretty good picture of how a pup will turn out. After that they usually fall apart and come back together at different speeds. Some dogs never fall apart, Luna was kind of a butt-high mess until she was 2. She is starting to come together now and her breeder and I are both happy with her. Her brother has never fallen apart, but is totally different from her.

3. Head - I like a nice head. I won't lie. Parallel muzzle and skull angles. A bit of stop, but not too upright and not too weak. But, it does come further down on the list. A dog with bad ears and great movement is going to beat a dog with perfect ears and bad movement every time. (And should.) Gluing ears helps and most folks I know do it for the first year. I taped Luna's and messed them up. Oh well!

4. Coat - How much does a dog carry, how strong is the pigment. Any mis-markings, how much white, etc. 

Feel free to PM me if you are curious about a specific kennel and I can share what I know. Most of my knowledge is with kennels in the Northeast, and the styles change from region to region, but there are great dogs in every part of the country, so that's a plus!

Hope that helps!