Breed clubs

• Gold Top Dog

Breed clubs

What are the benefits of registering with a breed club? I'm thinking about registering Sandy with the JRT club of Canada but I don't see the benefits at the moment.

I've never been a member of anything like it so I'm not to sure. 

Advice please.

• Gold Top Dog

I joined the GSDCA-WDA and USA (United Schutzhund Clubs of America), but only b/c I had to be a member to participate in their events.  But they both put out some nice magazines and membership is $50/$60 yr.

• Gold Top Dog

I thought about joining the Mini Schnauzer Club of Canada, but I haven't committed to it yet because of
    1) Their overall non-support of natural tails, and
    2) Their dislike of white Schnauzers.

So while it wouldn't affect my membership status to join, at the same time some of their beliefs go against mine, and I do consider that an important factor in whether I want to provide my money to support that cause.

• Gold Top Dog

I never registered Twister with the JRTCA.  Since I had no interest in breeding him, I didn't see the point.  At that time, here in the States, your dog did not have to be registered in order to run their events. That may still be the case, I don't know.  I did join JRTCA because I am a believer in supporting a breed club if you participate in the events, etc. 

• Gold Top Dog

Yup that's exactly why I joined WDA and USA rather than the GSDCA (German Shepherd dog club of America).

• Gold Top Dog

Well, yes I will be joining our national agility club, and registering the dogs with it (of course), so I will support it that way. But I just find it hard to support a breed club that doesn't support my ideal standard. LOL. I support the FCI standard, which promotes intact tails and white dogs, but unfortunately it doesn't do me any good to join the FCI because, well, I live in Canada. Boo.

• Gold Top Dog

I am a member of ASCA, because I view that as the better Aussie registry, I show Luna in their conformation events (or will this year), and will probably do their agility and obedience too. I am a member and officer in my local breed club to spend time with and plan events for Aussie folks in the area. We road trip to shows together, and stuff like that.

• Gold Top Dog

Hmmm.. With the JRTCA you have to be a member to compete in their venues. I'll have to look in to them a bit more. But overall I think I'm gonna go for it next year.  There's also a JRT club on Vancouver Island and that's only a 15 minute flight from me so I'm thinking about registering her with that one as well.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    I am going to join the JRTCA so we can compete in their events. Plus, the breeder is part of the organization, my dog's father's picture is used on their website. I just want to run my jacks more than just USDAA and AKC venues. I think the breed venue is going to be a blast!
    • Gold Top Dog

I'm not only a member, but am on the board of the breed club for working Border Collies (USBCC), for the benefits mentioned above, plus I support their mission.

• Gold Top Dog
    We're members of the papillon club of Tulsa. I need to go on and join the PCA. I get their magazine anyways after my breeder reads through it.