Tell me about...Dobermans!

• Gold Top Dog

Tell me about...Dobermans!

Just watching the Eukanuba Nat'l Championships on Animal Planet and they had a striking Dobe. I've always liked Dobermans, met a few, but have never had any extended contact with one. Experiences and info about living with Dobies would be great!
    • Gold Top Dog

I feel that Dobie should have won, but the handlers outfit was  terrible.

• Gold Top Dog

THink of a belgian with a more laborador mentality.  I spent 26+ years in dobes until I realized my first dog was just a belgian in a dobe suit.  Both breeds are very reactive, alert, velcro etc.  I find Belgians learn more quickly and Dobes tend to "wait and see" before they really get it.  I always felt it was a "yeah mom, but lets try it this way first".  I find the Belgians more responsive to redirection when prey drive or defense drive is aroused.  The Dobes seem to stick with it for longer and require more direct, close up and personal redirection for a longer training period. 

I find the health problems in dobes to be heartbreaking and finding a good one can be a challenge.

• Gold Top Dog

I haven't actually owned a dobe yet, should have one soon. The reasons why i love them: intelligence, athleticism, awesome personalities, and they're beautiful! I cannot wait until i get one, i'm so excited!