Coton

• Gold Top Dog

Coton

My cousin has narrowed her dog choices to a pound mutt, an Aussie, or a Coton.  Pound mutts are no problem and I've been hanging around a really nice Aussie breeder at shows, but I don't know if I've ever even SEEN a Coton!  Know of any good breeders or rescues?  I actually think this is the best choice for my cousin but we don't know where to find one.

• Puppy

Liesje

My cousin has narrowed her dog choices to a pound mutt, an Aussie, or a Coton.  Pound mutts are no problem and I've been hanging around a really nice Aussie breeder at shows, but I don't know if I've ever even SEEN a Coton!  Know of any good breeders or rescues?  I actually think this is the best choice for my cousin but we don't know where to find one.

How did you find your dogs?

• Gold Top Dog

You could google 'coton de tulear rescue' or breeder....thats how I find most of the breed rescues.

• Gold Top Dog

misstrouble

You could google 'coton de tulear rescue' or breeder....thats how I find most of the breed rescues.

Sure but I'd like recommendations for GOOD breeders.  I can't make the call based on a web site and many great breeders don't do web sites.

• Gold Top Dog

I was mostly going for the rescue, most reputable breeders don't do websites, that I know.....

• Gold Top Dog

I don't agree at ALL that most reputable breeders don't do websites. (I just think that MORE irresponsibel ones do websites.)

Cotons are fairly few and far between in rescue. Here's where I'd start -http://www.cotondogs.com/

Most rare breeds have a national rescue, rather than local or regional ones, so the breed club is who you'll want to contact both for breeder referrals AND the rescue.

• Gold Top Dog

Pwca

I don't agree at ALL that most reputable breeders don't do websites. (I just think that MORE irresponsibel ones do websites.)

Cotons are fairly few and far between in rescue. Here's where I'd start -http://www.cotondogs.com/

Most rare breeds have a national rescue, rather than local or regional ones, so the breed club is who you'll want to contact both for breeder referrals AND the rescue.

No, I also think most DO, but I don't want her picking simply based on a web site, she'd rather have a referral.  When I Google the breed, the breeders at the top of the list don't really look like ones we'd be interested in, but again, who knows based on a web site....

• Puppy

Liesje

misstrouble

Sure but I'd like recommendations for GOOD breeders.  I can't make the call based on a web site and many great breeders don't do web sites.

Do Nikon and Kenya's breeders have websites? You said Kenya was your first dog, how did you decide the breeder was a good choice?

Most breeders have websites, it is up to the person looking for a dog to make the proper decision.

• Gold Top Dog

Um, yes (well, not Nikon's sire), but they are GSDs not Cotons.  I've never seen a Coton in person.  Nikon's breeder has a website but it is very sparse and usually out of date, hence why I am asking for recommendations, not web sites.  The decision should not be made based on a web site or Google search, especially if this is her first dog.  Some of the best breeders have outdated web sites or no site at all.  I am asking if anyone here has experience with the breed or has any referrals for good breeders, please post them here or PM me.  I chose my dogs after meeting the dogs/parent(s) in person and I choose breeders based on a lot of criteria not really relevant to this thread but in the URL in my sig if it's so important.  It is really up to my aunt to choose but the least I can do is help her get some possible choices together.  This doesn't really have anything to do with me or my dogs...

• Puppy

Liesje

Um, yes (well, not Nikon's sire), but they are GSDs not Cotons.  I've never seen a Coton in person.  Nikon's breeder has a website but it is very sparse and usually out of date, hence why I am asking for recommendations, not web sites.  The decision should not be made based on a web site or Google search, especially if this is her first dog.  Some of the best breeders have outdated web sites or no site at all.  I am asking if anyone here has experience with the breed or has any referrals for good breeders, please post them here or PM me.  I chose my dogs after meeting the dogs/parent(s) in person and I choose breeders based on a lot of criteria not really relevant to this thread but in the URL in my sig if it's so important.  It is really up to my aunt to choose but the least I can do is help her get some possible choices together.  This doesn't really have anything to do with me or my dogs...

I was not trying to get personal, my point was that you surely did research and put a lot of time into finding them, so the same could apply to this situation.

• Gold Top Dog

I guess I'm missing the point then...

• Gold Top Dog

Lies, i know nothing about cotons. BUT, there is another forum i looked at onetime, and there were a few coton owners there. The forum was ourdogsonline.com.  

• Gold Top Dog

Coton's are a foundation stock breed for the AKC and the AKC has links for the three Coton clubs that they are working with.  I think those websites might be a place to look if you haven't already been there.