Giant Schnauzer's...what do you know about them?

• Gold Top Dog

Giant Schnauzer's...what do you know about them?

So....still on the search for a puppy/dog.....

I came across the Giant Schnauzer breed and I'm really interested in them. So far, I read they're good guard dogs, intelligent, active, loyal, and just are an all around all purpose dog. I think they're extremely regal looking.

What do *you* know about them? Anyone ever own one? How similar are they to the mini's, if at all? What about that beard? How difficult is that to maintain/keep clean?

I'm seriously thinking of contacting a GS club, just to gain some more information.  

So far, these are the breeds we're interested in. Also, we're open to breed specific rescues, mutts, dog pound pups, etc:

• Labrador
    • Golden Retriever
    • German Shepherd
    • Flat Coat Retriever
    • Giant Schnauzer
    • Mutt
    • Gold Top Dog

The only one I ever knew was imported from Germany (the guy was himself German) and frankly he was the most unpleasant dog I ever met.  The guy was adamant about leaving him intact and probably hadn't socialized him but he was the terror of that particular dog training class. 

My biggest problem is basically a problem with all-black dogs.  And this has nothing to do with "bad luck" or anything.  But a black dog is hard to 'read' -- hard for other dogs, hard for the human just because it's tough to read the body language.  With a thick coated dog like a schnauzer again you have to be unbelievably good to get ahead of the behavior by reading the body language. 

• Gold Top Dog

I know nothing really about them but my colleague at work owns two and shows them.  When I have meet them they seem to be really nice and wonderful dogs.  He brags about them and their nice temperament always.

• Gold Top Dog

I have only met one. He was a fabulous dog and had a great temperament, not to mention he was very handsome. He left a lasting impression on me!

• Gold Top Dog

RidgebackGermansShep

He left a lasting impression on me!

I know, the look of those dogs defiantly leaves an impression.

• Gold Top Dog

Giants are amazing and intelligent.  Also likely to tell you to take a hike if your agenda and theirs does not match.  They need constant, early training and socialization.  If you are not the true leader and address everything carefully, a Giant will assume you are unable to meet the demand. Rest assured, the Giant will step up.   In most cases, people don't care for a Giant's choice in managing a situation.

The lab temperment  experience you have will help you with the "hard headedness" that can occur, but they are more sharp.  Make sure you buy from a good breeder (the club idea is great) and work to establish a group of mentors.   The one Giant rescue with which I am familiar is the one in Chicago.  Maybe a foster situation would give you the opportunity to determine if the breed is right for you.

• Gold Top Dog

mrv

Maybe a foster situation would give you the opportunity to determine if the breed is right for you.

I would love to foster until I found the "right" puppy/dog.....but I'm so afraid it'll be a "failure"!

I honestly don't know how people foster. I think it'd be one of the hardest things...to get a dog in rough shape, help it out, see it grow into a balanced dog, and after all that send it to a family... but, I think those who do are incredible.

• Gold Top Dog

mrv

Giants are amazing and intelligent.  Also likely to tell you to take a hike if your agenda and theirs does not match.  They need constant, early training and socialization.  If you are not the true leader and address everything carefully, a Giant will assume you are unable to meet the demand. Rest assured, the Giant will step up.   In most cases, people don't care for a Giant's choice in managing a situation.

The lab temperment  experience you have will help you with the "hard headedness" that can occur, but they are more sharp.  Make sure you buy from a good breeder (the club idea is great) and work to establish a group of mentors.   The one Giant rescue with which I am familiar is the one in Chicago.  Maybe a foster situation would give you the opportunity to determine if the breed is right for you.

Well put.  I have to admit that I've seen more Giants in the US with issues than I care to admit.  Some was due to the lack of leadership and socialization, but in a couple of cases, these were just tough dogs.  I also think that you have to be careful to choose a dog that your present dog will like, and I'm not sure it's that good a match.  Of the dogs on your list, I would urge you to consider a Flat Coat from a good breeder, or another Lab.  The play styles will be similar and they are less likely to be DA.

You might want to PM Kim MacMillan, she's a Schnauzer owner and may have some insight for you - and she grew up with Labs;-)

• Gold Top Dog
    IMO, a giant schnauzer can be the best dog you've ever owned...or the biggest mistake you've ever made. :-) Active and intelligent, I think they can be a challenge for the average dog owner.

The nice giants that I've met have been socialized, socialized, socialized from the day they came home - men, women, kids, other animals - everything. They were never set up to fail or disobey, so the dog only knew praise and obedience. The dogs were given jobs to do to keep their minds active in a constructive way rather than a destructive way.

I've see a couple of very difficult giants and they gave their owners a run for their money constantly. I'm not sure if it was bad breeding, bad training, or just a bad fit in the household, but it was clear that they are not a dog for everyone.

• Gold Top Dog

They are Schnauzers... but Giant. lol Kidding aside.

I like Schnauzers. I like their attitudes, even tho I have only owned a Giant Schnauzer mix. GS's are BEAUTIFUL. They are working dogs, but I am sure you already know that. Some are used for herding and farm work things. If you dont like grooming long fur you could keep them in a short clip and cut the beard off. When I had my GS mix he would get things in his beard but I loved the way it made him look so I did not mind cleaning his beard out. The only downside is people always thought he was so old because of his large eye brows and beard.

• Gold Top Dog

BlackLabbie

• Mutt

You know, I still have Pudding....

• Gold Top Dog

I've been fortunate to meet some very nice Giant Schnauzers. They're active, happy dogs when trained well. The ones I've met have been a bit bouncy for my taste, but still nice dogsStick out tongue

I prefer the Standard Schnauzer temperament, myself.  I'm smitten with themStick out tongue

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs

I also think that you have to be careful to choose a dog that your present dog will like, and I'm not sure it's that good a match.  Of the dogs on your list, I would urge you to consider a Flat Coat from a good breeder, or another Lab.  The play styles will be similar and they are less likely to be DA.

I think in the end we're going to choose another Lab, Lab/Mix, or Golden or Flat, something along those line. I defianlty do not want to deal with DA again.

I kind of wanted a watch dog....or a dog that would at least bark alert when someone was coming, because doG knows Apollo won't. I'd feel more secure living in a new, unfamiliar area, with a larger, barky dog.

It's just fun to explore other unusual breeds that *might* or *might not* fit us.

• Gold Top Dog

I adore them. I strongly, strongly dislike beards, but there is a way to fix that, LOL. I used to groom a GS named "Infiniti" (his owner is French Canadian, and says that with his awesome French accent), who got clean feet and a clean face. MUCH nicer to deal with!

Just had to comment on the beard, really. Any dog can have a clean face. I have a friend who loves her Chinese Cresteds with face hair. I don't know how she deals with it. Ena gets a #40 on her face every week. 

• Gold Top Dog

BlackLabbie

I kind of wanted a watch dog....or a dog that would at least bark alert when someone was coming, because doG knows Apollo won't. I'd feel more secure living in a new, unfamiliar area, with a larger, barky dog.

We're not ones for promoting our breed but you just describe a Greater Swiss.  They were born to watch and alert and they have one of the biggest BAROOOO you've ever heard.

Good luck and you can't go wrong with a Lab or Spaniel - they are just wonderful dogs.  PS:  There's always Puddin..  he is a sweetie.