Alaskan Klee Kai.. (I hope I spelled that right!)

• Gold Top Dog

Alaskan Klee Kai.. (I hope I spelled that right!)

Ok.. I'll bite. I'm REALLY curious about the AKK.  

What are they like? I know they look like huskies, but how close are they to one? I want a husky but I don't want the size of one. I'm liking the little'er breeds. Lol

So any and all advice, websites, ect would be great!

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog

Funny, this just came up on a Lab board I'm on, too.  I only know what I've read about the AKK, and seen in pictures.  But, honestly, the only thing that looks Husky to be is their coloring. 

http://www.alaskankleekai.com/

• Gold Top Dog

I found that site last night while googling. Lol.  I was a bad dog person.. I judged the breed based on looks.. Bad me * whaps with paper* I still like the breed thou. Lol

• Gold Top Dog

That web site belongs to Kaiser's breeder, actually.  She's the largest breeder of the AKK, to my knowledge.

I believe that Infiniti and I are the only ones on this board who own Klee Kai (I have one, she just aquired her second -- lucky duck!).

They are fun, special little dogs.  I've never had a Husky, so I don't feel that I'm qualified to comment on how similar their personalities are.

Kaiser recently turned a year old -- the best way I can describe his personality with me is a playful flirt.  Stick out tongue  He's a goof ball and lives to play.  He's very cat-like in his mannerisms and uses his paws for many things.  He's alert & attentive 24/7, which can work either for me or against me.  In training, if my treats are good enough, he is 100% focused on the task at hand.  But if he's bored or doesn't care about what I'm offering, his mind can wander in an instant to a bird flying above or the dog barking next door.  This just means I have to be a really good trainer!

With OTHER people he's stand-offish, untrusting and shy.  I will never say he's scared of people, because I don't believe he is.  I think he feels that most humans are beneath him to a point.  If I pick him up and hand him to you he's absolutely fine -- but good luck having anyone but me try to catch him.

As for the looks, this is unfortunately something that varies greatly in the breed.  I've spent a lot of time going through various breeder's websites and there is definitely a "type" that I prefer.  Kaiser is one of the shorter-haired & more refined types.  The opposite end is the fluffy, stockier dogs.  I prefer the "sports car" model, as I'm into dog sports (which Kaiser is doing EXCELLENT in thus far, I might add).

They come in three sizes -- Toy (13" and under), Miniature (13" to 15";) and Standard (15" to 17";).  Coat colors are black/white, gray/white and red/white.  Solid color dogs (generally solid white) are not registerable.

Kaiser is a large mini, standing around 14 1/2".  I haven't weighed him lately, but he's probably around 15 lbs with all the muscle he's put on as he's matured.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!  I'm sure Infiniti will find this thread soon.  Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

There are some cool little spitzes around, but most of the smaller ones are a bit too fluffy for me. I have a Finnish Lapphund, which is about Border Collie sized. They are very beautiful and will attract attention wherever you go, but they are very sweet as well and will soak that attention up like a sponge. Kivi Tarro lives for cuddles. He loves it when you put your arms around him and give him a great big squeeze. Lappies are a herder so are a fair bit easier to train than huskies. They don't need huge amounts of exercise and are a very easy dog to live with. Might be worth looking into if you are after a breed like a husky but smaller.

Also, Keeshonds are vaguely husky like. They have a much higher prey drive than most Lappies and are a bit more independent. A little bit smaller than a Lappie, usually, but more fur.

• Gold Top Dog

I looked at them pretty seriously for a while, but decided I really couldn't live with the temperament. While I keep hearing people say "They're SUPPOSED to be standoffish with strangers, they're not like this at home" it's one thing, but when they're nervous period at shows, I'm just not interested.

I ended up with Lizzie, and I think the temperament is very signficantly different in the continental spitz breeds (German Spitz, Kees, etc) - but they're still neat dogs. 

• Gold Top Dog

Found the thread!!!

As Karissa said, I think she and I are the only two with AKK here.  I just got my second, Eli, and he and Honor are direct cousins from the same breeder.

Eileen's website is a very good resource for learning about the AKK.  She is the largest breeder of AKK, mostly having the distinct honor of being entrusted with Linda Spurlin's AKK when she left breeding.  

Karissa touched on a lot of different points, so I'll see if I can add some to it.

Let's get to temperament.  The AKK tendency to be shy MUST be worked on diligently from day one.  This is a breed that not just requires, but demands socialization.  Like PWCA said, AKK can get VERY shy with strangers.  When Honor was a puppy, DH and I carried her in our arms EVERYWHERE.  Up and down the hallways, around the nearby outdoor mall, to every family/friend gathering conceivable, etc.  Once she was fully vetted, she went on tons of walks, and I encouraged good socialization experiences by asking the people who wanted to pet her if they would give her a treat if she came up to them.  Repetition of this exercise helped shape Honor's temperament into one of a friendly dog who is always happy to greet people. 

In terms of temperament, make sure to really discuss that with your chosen breeder.   If it means waiting a little longer for the right breeding, then do it, because both Honor and Eli's sires and grandsire are EXTREMELY affable AKK and it shows in Honor and Eli's willingness to socialize with people.

Regarding the conformation of an AKK, there are definitely two distinct body lines for the breed.  Like Karissa said, there are either lean and lanky AKK, or stockier AKK.  Honor is of the slightly stockier body type, with a very plush coat (but not a wooly).  Eli is like Kaiser, all legs and jump.  SInce you're interested in agility, you may want to consider how both types will do in that sport.  In my current experience, Eli can jump MUCH higher than Honor, but she definitely outruns him.  Depending on the jump height requirements of your chosen venue, this can make a big difference. 

In terms of training, this is a breed where you really have to plan out how best to shape an exercise/trick.  AKK are VERY very smart, and will often catch on to a trick after only a few repetitions.  However, once they've done it, you can sometimes get the "But I've DONE this trick already, don't you want to see me do this?? :::insert crazy rollover here::::".  This isn't a breed that can handle repetition-based training sessions.  Honor recently acheived her Rally Novice title, and it took a LOT of work on my part to ensure that she didn't find the training for rally boring.  Finding high-value rewards, mixing up the training sessions, and having a sense of humor are musts to training an AKK.  Also, mine LOVE to clicker-train.  Food+brain-power=a good time for them!

All in all, though?  This is a breed I will never be without now.  Honor and Eli are SO gregarious and charming.  I don't know how I got along without an AKK in my life before Honor.  This breed is intensely loyal and devoted, and you will never feel so priveleged as to have your "I'm so awesome!!"-minded AKK snuggling up to you on the couch.  

And yes, I'll be shallow and say you never get tired of hearing "You have such beautiful dogs!" from people. Stick out tongue

Good websites for research:

http://akkaoa.org/

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/alaskankleekaiadvocates/ - Please feel free to join both of these Yahoo groups, we always welcome those who are interested in learning about the breed!

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/alaskankleekaidogclub/

http://aliakkennels.com/ - Honor and Eli's breeder ... OMG, just as a sidenote, when I brought up her website to hyperlink the addy, Honor and Eli are the cover photo for the website!!!! COOL!!!

Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat about specifics, I never tire of talking about these great dogs!

• Gold Top Dog

it's one thing, but when they're nervous period at shows, I'm just not interested.

That is COMPLETELY a matter of socialization -- and I have to say that I'm not terribly impressed with the lack of socialization AND training that some of the AKK people have done.  As Lisa mentioned, there *are* some breeders who are working very hard to make this breed friendlier and more social.  The puppies that are being bred out of the bolder/people-loving dogs DO tend to be more social, themselves.

If a dog is "nervous" at a show, that dog has not gotten out enough.  I'm sure the same could be said for a dog of ANY breed who doesn't get out much.  Kaiser comes to every one of my agility trials and I can guarantee you that he is not a "nervous" dog.  He doesn't hide behind me or stick to my side.  In fact, he's generally out there seeking out all the other dogs to play with -- because he LOVES dogs.  All dogs.  He just doesn't care all that much to be petted.

Are they for everyone?  No, apparently not.  These dogs take a lot of work in order to make them good, solid citizens.  Some people aren't interested in that sort of thing.  Personally, I'm obsessive about training -- haven switched my focus from horses to dogs in recent years, I need something to keep me busy and now my dogs have to deal with it.  lol

PWCA -- You say that you "couldn't live with that temperament."  For what it's worth, the temperament that the individual owner sees every day at home is likely far different than what you have met in person (especially depending on who's dog you may have met).  Kaiser is an absolute love with me.  While he may not be what is considered a "lap dog" because of his independent nature, on those times when he comes to lay by me it's absolutely heartmelting because it's his way of showing his feelings.  He's getting more "cuddely" as he gets older -- now he'll lay by me on the couch for 30-60 minutes at a stretch before going to his corner of the couch and at night he spends pretty much all night against my side.  He shows his affection in his own ways, which I guess I've come to appreciate.

They are very special, unique little dogs -- Either you appreciate their quirks or you don't, I guess.

• Gold Top Dog

To be fair, nervous was the breeder's description- and this was multiple dogs over several shows, so it may just be her breeding program. But even her specials were like this. Snappy, easily stressed, and poor resiliance, would be my main observations. I still think they're super-cute- I just didn't want a project, I wanted a dog which primarily had the really outgoing temperament that I was looking for. GS can be suspicious of strangers but not in the same way.

I was also not interested in paying $1500 for a pet quality dog on a co-ownership, which was this breeder's deal, and while I totally understand that, I felt VERY uncomfortable with how much she was charging for puppies based on her health testing and achievements. I was on some of the groups back well before UKC recognition and at that time, health testing was all mandatory and the price seemed justified. This woman was NOT, and OP, if you decide to go with the breed, PM me and I'll pass along her name.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm not familiar with AKK, but as an owner of a small breed known to be wary of strangers, I can tell you it takes a LOT of work to socialize dogs like this.  They are not dogs that you socialize like crazy when they are young and then only intermittently as adults.  They need intense socialization throughout their lives. If you don't have time or the opportunities for this then it's best to look at a more outgoing breed.  Nothing is more frustrating, or embarrassing, than a tiny dog lunging and snarling at everyone in sight!

• Gold Top Dog

Wow! Thanks for all the adivce and links. And I'm in love with Kivi.. Just so you know. Lol. He's so fluffy!

Socializing is a must in my family since I want to compete with my dogs. So no worries on that one. 

I'll take a look at the links and if I have any questions (which I probably will) I'll be sure to ask. Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Hehe, all that fur turns cuddling a Lappie into cuddling a big plush teddy bear. He acts like a big teddy bear, too.

Most people are in love with Kivi. He's a sweetie pie.

We don't have AKKs over here, but it sounds like a breed I would like. As long as they're not needy. My partner's parents have this Min Pin that is infuriatingly anxious and needy. I can't deal with the poor dear. 

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81
    I'll take a look at the links and if I have any questions (which I probably will) I'll be sure to ask. Smile

Please feel free to ask!  There's nothing I like more than to talk about my dogs, lol.

Also, Corvus, you might like an AKK.  They're not incredibly needy, and I remember you said you were looking for a little bit of a harder dog next time.  AKK are definitely more challenging in terms of training, because of the fact that they have a slight "been there, performed that" attitude sometimes.  From what I know about Lappies, they seem to be a little more biddable.  

Sidenote: I WILL have a Lappie someday myself, I have been in love with that breed since I was 12.  And Kivi's just fueling the fire!  He's a cutie!