What have you found to not be true with your breed?

• Gold Top Dog

"The ideal disposition is one of a kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. The Labrador has much that appeals to people; his gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability make him an ideal dog." -akc.org

Well, Apollo is literally a walking stereotype in the above regards!

I guess for "faults" he is actually a very "one owner" dog and can be barky on the leash when we see dogs. But, now I realize he's just getting excieted because he wants to meet and greet. When we go to meet and greet the other dogs he actually is very friendly and social- I just needed to get that through my head!

• Gold Top Dog

That AKK can be difficult to train.  Honor and Eli LOVE the clicker, and learn new behaviors quickly.  If you're consistent and find the right motivators, the breed is very trainable.

AKK are also supposed to be reserved with strangers.  Not my two!  They are convinced that the whole world is there to love them, and they have no problems proudly trotting up to strangers and doing the "Look at me!! I'm so cute!!" dance.

For Nike, SO many people talk about how Shelties are so barky.  And while I think many are, Nike is NOT at all, lol.  

• Gold Top Dog

My dog fits his breed description to the tee.  There is little I can say isn't true.  My dog is a resource guarder and this breed tends not to be aggressive in any way.  However, I don't think its common for the breed and I am not sure it isn't something I actually created.  He is pretty much on the money, just a wonderful dog.

• Gold Top Dog

GypsyNBeau

Everything I read about Chihuahuas said that they were hard to housetrain.  I think that this is nothing more than a stereotype and that it is all in the training.  Chihuahuas are very intelligent dogs, and I didn't find mine hard to housetrain at all.  I don't think it was just luck, either. ;)

I agree, my 5 1/2 month old Chihuahua is housetrained and can be left with full run of the apartment.

• Gold Top Dog

Luvntzus

GypsyNBeau

Everything I read about Chihuahuas said that they were hard to housetrain.  I think that this is nothing more than a stereotype and that it is all in the training.  Chihuahuas are very intelligent dogs, and I didn't find mine hard to housetrain at all.  I don't think it was just luck, either. ;)

I agree, my 5 1/2 month old Chihuahua is housetrained and can be left with full run of the apartment.

Maybe it meant they are hard to house train... in comparison to larger breeds.  It's all relative.  Their bladders are so much smaller...

• Gold Top Dog

misstrouble

BC;s
    Personality:

• Does not tend to wander and doesn't like owner to wander off property either

JJ's aunt and uncle had a BC that didnt seem to get the memo either that they werent supposed to wander. They would seriously find him 5-10 miles away when people would call and ask them if they lost a dog!

• Gold Top Dog

Most of what I read on papillons has been pretty accurate, though that might be inpart that they aren't the most popular breed, thus the information I found was mainy from papillon owners, breeders, and rescues.  Only thing that I can think of was that a lot of the sites warned papillons often aren't cuddly dogs.  I guess that matches Kirby in the sense that he doesn't need to be ontop of me 24/7 or constantly begging to be picked up and craddled.  But, he does love to get his scritches.  I often do what I call my Lassie Moment where I get down on my knees and throw my arms wide open and he comes running over to get his hugs cuddles.

• Gold Top Dog

Except for "good with other animals" Hammer-Head fits the Labrador descriptiion perfectly. He loves water, learning 'fetch' was easy as pie for him(is retreiving an instinct? Hmmm), he loves all people equally, and is atheletic. He does have his stubborn moments but somepeople jsut call stubborness good sense. lol He is not easily scared and handles all weather well.

• Gold Top Dog
    I have two PRT or whatever you want to call them now, I call'em Jacks. One from the JRTCA breeder and the other from a backyard breeder. The former is square while the latter is rectangle (puddin';). The latter is calm and sweet but very, very soft. If I entered her in a 'barbie' class, she failed mostly every point. The former is harder and very drivey however you put a scent on the ground the puddin' Jack will get there first. They recently killed 6 rabbits. Anyhow, the jacks learn fast once they understand the concept of learning. A lot of so called trainers don't have the patience with any terrier - mind you hence their difficulty level like a hound and such. My instructor said that jacks are in the top 3 as smartest or intelligent dogs but you'll never them up there because people don't have the patience so you'll never see what their potential is. She said they are very independent dogs.

As for energy, I can get away with a week of no exercise after that, they get to be bouncy and testy.

• Gold Top Dog

The biggest one was when I first got her I had read about how difficult they were to train.  She caught on so quickly it made me look like an expert trainer!

• Puppy

Liesje

So many people have told me that GSDs are independent, hard-headed, stubborn, hard to train, and require a heavy-hand.  What?  GSDs were developed to work WITH human handlers.  They love to be with their people and generally bond very closely with at least one person.  Mine have been a breeze to train.  They are bright, drivey, and want to learn.  They don't need a heavy hand or either you break your dog or he breaks you!  Being heavy-handed either gets you a fearful, reactive dog, or if you truly do have a hard dog you will know when you have over-corrected him and he's had enough!  They are energetic and have a lot of need as far as exercise, outlets for drive both mentally physically, but they are not a breed I would call stubborn.

I have heard that, too. Not so, these dogs are reserved when it comes to strangers but are oh so happy to be with their owners or accepted family members. Velcro dogs they are and if you don't like a dog on your heels all the time, this is not your breed. They are also easily trainable, but you have to be in charge and be smarter than the animal or they will outsmart you.

• Gold Top Dog

Krissim Klaw
    though that might be inpart that they aren't the most popular breed

Really, have you been to an airport lately?  I travel for business and there is at least one papillon in a dog carrier being flown somewhere. Big Smile   One was under the seat next to me on my last flight.  I really thoguht they were quite popular these days. I wish I could stow River under the seat and take him with me.Wink

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986

misstrouble

BC;s
    Personality:

• Does not tend to wander and doesn't like owner to wander off property either

JJ's aunt and uncle had a BC that didnt seem to get the memo either that they werent supposed to wander. They would seriously find him 5-10 miles away when people would call and ask them if they lost a dog!

Do they have my Tucker?? LOL! He'd do the same thing....one women called us 5-10 times a year, and same with another couple a few miles further.

• Gold Top Dog

I always read that dachshunds are stubborn and untrainable.  Maybe with the old, outdated negative training methods.  But get some food and a clicker and they learn super fast!  I taught Zoe to do things like spin in a circle, and sit, in less than 5 repetitions.  They are incredibily smart dogs (scary smart actually) and are willing to offer any behavior when food is involved.

I read that manchester terriers are very clean dogs.  Since when does peeing on oneself and eating poop count as clean? Tongue Tied

• Gold Top Dog

There's so many misconceptions about Border Collies, where to start?  But when I got into them, they were not a very popular breed and so the information about them was pretty much accurate.  Then as now, it depends on who you talk to.  Here's the description that introduced me to the breed (please indulge this long insertion):

The British livestock men who designed the sheepdog trial, 120 years ago, weren't seeking friendly, pretty, aristocratic, or even competitive dogs. They needed dogs that would make it possible for a man on foot to handle a thousand sheep on mountainous, unfenced ground, dogs that could extract amorous rams from amongst willing ewes, drive the sheep to fresh pasture, fetch them into the farmstead, pen them for shearing, and catch and hold an agonized ewe having lambing difficulties.

They needed dogs that could work on their own, take whistled instructions from over a mile away, and travel a hundred miles a day in the foulest weather without complaint. That's what trials are for: to choose the sires and dams of the next generation of sheepdogs. [The herding competitions] are an exact model of the dogs' daily work, made more difficult.

Trials are rarely canceled because of bad weather. I've run in ice storms and 100 degree heat. One year at the Oatlands trial outside Leesburg, Virginia, lightning lit up a tree at the end of the course just as Candace Terry was bringing her dog Tip across to the crossdrive gate. The dog lifted straight into the air, six feet, maybe. "Tip," Candace said, not shouted, and Tip eyed her, took hold of himself, and--pad, pad, pad--was back on his sheep as sheets of rain sluiced across the field.

The shepherd cannot always choose his work. He needs a useful dog.

I'm drinking coffee in Amanda Milliken's motor home on the second morning of the two-day Blue Ridge Open trial held outside White Post, Virginia.  . . .Amanda's dog Hazel is a black-and-white smooth-coated Border collie. She is rather musical and will sing along with "Oklahoma!" but her favorite tune is k.d. lang's song about the old coyote, especially the chorus, where she gets to howl.

"That's enough, Hazel," Amanda says, and the dog abandons her musicale. Border collies rarely bark, and though there are more than a hundred dogs on these trial grounds--in crates and trailers, tied under campers and motor homes--the place is quiet. Barking dogs are useless; they make sheep nervous. Fawning or fighting dogs are no better.

From where I sit, I can see a dozen dogs, just come off the field or waiting their turn. None is on a leash.  . .

Driven by complex instincts and skills, indifferent to most of the things I'd thought a dog wanted, Pip was more dog than I'd reckoned on. He was hardheaded, confident, and--uncommon for a Border collie--had a sense of humor.

The lessons he taught me weren't lessons I wanted to learn. I'd hoped to discover that I was perceptive, ingenious, and quick-thinking. I learned instead that there is only one narrow, difficult way to do a job properly, and an infinite number of possible mistakes. . . .

A six-year-old, 30-pound smooth-coat tricolor with *** ears, Gael is flirty, foxy, and hates to work in mud where she'll get her white paws dirty. But she'll stay with me through ice, rain, even mud, no matter how bitter or how late--unless I raise my voice to her. Then that's the end of it.

Ladies, she believes, do not endure rough language. Once, a few years ago, I completely lost it with Gael; I lifted my hand to smack her, and she said, "Oh, dear." I stuck my crude paw back in my pocket, where it belonged.

"You canna abuse them. You canna," the shepherd who sold me Gael had said. "They will never forget it was you that abused them.

Border collies move sheep by moral authority: They glower at the sheep and the sheep drift away. Sheep are brilliant at predator calculus--those that aren't don't live to breed. Standing at the top of the trial course, the sheep evaluate the dog as it runs toward them: "Is it a sane dog? Responsible? Skilled? Can we beat it?" If you sent your family mutt raving out there, the sheep would blow full tilt through the nearest fence and keep running for miles. Sheep are not helpless.

Sheep trust Gael (that's good), but they lack respect for her (that's bad). With flighty sheep, Gael's got an advantage; with stubborn sheep, she's more hesitant. She moves them, but too slowly, and we run out of time. . . .

I walk with Gael to the woven-wire fence that encloses the course so she can see the sheep. She sees them, you bet. Trembles ripple from snout to tail. I walk her away so she can relieve herself if she wishes--which she doesn't. Gael never eats a bite in the morning of a trial, and neither do I. Food would be a lump in my stomach.

I walk onto the course into a new world. It is hushed; I can't hear the crowd or the announcer, I can't hear cars leaving or arriving. It's like one of those small rooms in a funeral chapel--the same pressure in my ears.

Gael is at my side, cocked, all aquiver. Her eyes say, "Trust me."

I swallow. "Come by," I say.

Gael shoots off, somewhat tight, and the slope of the course draws her to the right. I put my whistle to my mouth but at the last minute she remembers where the sheep are and throws herself to the left and vanishes over the lip of the hill. I count one, two, and she's visible again along the ridgeline--Is she slowing? Will she stop?--but no, she is behind her sheep, and my first whistle command is "walk up." The sheep come off softly on line for the gates but a bit heavy to the left, so I whistle Gael around to that side to keep them coming straight. It's a little like billiards, except the balls are alive.

I've drawn four yearling ewes; none wants to be leader. They're tiptoeing toward me and the spectators behind me. "Walk up, Gael," I whistle. Walk up, walk up--WILL YOU WALK UP!

When the sheep come around me and put the crowd behind them, they are delirious with relief, and they fly away like bats, veering left, so I hurry Gael around to straighten them. Everything's happening lickety-split. "Away, Gael," I whistle. She whips right and turns them straight through the drive gates. "Awaay-to-meeee." She goes out wide to keep control, and then I'm whistling, "Walk up, walk up," and she's pushing them along the crossdrive.

As the sheep clamber up the slope toward the crossdrive gates, I have an out-of-body experience. I am not me, not the sheep, not the dog; I am the moving pressure-point, hundreds of yards out on that slope, exactly where Gael will need to be to get the sheep through those gates. "Gael!" I say, and she hooks right to stop an escape attempt by one of the ewes. They're through the gate now, and she's on their heels like a sneak thief; she whips behind them, and they turn nicely toward the pen. . . .

Once I grab the gate rope I'm stuck, but the sheep don't know that. Penning sheep is a problem in the geometry of power. The sheep are more afraid of the pen than of me or Gael alone, but together we can pen them.

We're done. My ears are ringing, and my legs are wobbly. Gael hops into the cool-off tub at the edge of the course and laps at the murky water. . .

Back at the car, I let Harry out and take him and Gael into the pasture, away from everybody. Harry has a grand romp; Gael is content to stay at my heels. . . .

Like most people, I am generally distracted, baffled by life. Most of the time, a microphone placed in my head would record: "Does she love me? Where's the money coming from? I miss you, Pip. Call 800-966-4637 if this driver is operating in an unsafe manner --"

--But not today. Thank you, Gael. For nine minutes, out on that trial field, you made me whole.

You can read the rest of this wonderful article, and more like it, at http://www.bordercollie.org/ud.html

Today, you will be treated to warnings that Border Collies are prone to "herd" the kids without warning and there's no point in trying to "train it out" because it's "bred in" - you will note these warnings are often given about dogs whose ancestors haven't seen livestock since JFK was President. 

Also, that they are OCD and hyper and that's also just part of the breed.  Instead, these these are problems that arise when the dogs are improperly bred (ie, when breeders lose sight of the working standard), and when they are treated like briefly entertaining toys rather than the fine-tuned working animals they are.

Most of this comes from a disconnect with what these dogs are really about.  People who have extremely limited personal experience and get the rest from reading third hand information on the internet.  It's impossible to make generalities about Border Collies based on individual dogs you've known - instead, the generalities come from knowledge of the work they do.

So, the short answer is, be cautious of your source when you get information about a breed.