What have you found to not be true with your breed?

• Gold Top Dog

What have you found to not be true with your breed?

When you researched your breed and decided on it what have you found that you have read about/heard about that you find not true?

I was reading about the Irish Setter on the dog.com breed info and disagree with something they have on there.

Personality: 

• Not as intelligent as the other setters and often difficult to train
    •  
    •  
    • I havent owned any of the other Setter breeds but I have owned several breeds of dogs and have to say that I dont find the Irish Setter at all difficult to train. I have owned 4 IS including Lillie and Fynn and I did not think they are difficult to train.  Their very distractable but once you figure out what they will work for their very easy to work with. The only command that I had to work on was "come" but I knew I would after researching the breed so it wasnt a big surprise for me.
    •  
    •  
    • With Joker I find this not true.
    •  
    Personality:

Alert and watchful. Barks if aroused

Intelligent but extremely headstrong. Can be difficult to housebreak

Very reserved with strangers

Joker doesnt bark at all. JJ comented on that just the other day. He tried for 30 mintues to get him to bark. It was funny to watch.

Very intelligent but I dont think Joker is headstrong. And housebreaking him was easy I thought. I dont know if that's because I knew how to housebreak him?

He loves everyone!! I havent seen him run away from a person once. I dont know if that's just because he's a pup or the socalization he has gotten. Well heck his mom come running up to me and wanted petting when I went to go get Joker. She sure wasnt reserved!!

• Gold Top Dog

well i never did any research on moca's breed. she came to me with the knowledge that she needs a home and that was it. heck i didnt even know anything about DOGS at the time... lol...

but from breed discriptions of cocker spaniels, i guess the only thing that i have found untrue was the "prone to agression" part. moca is the sweetest dog ever and even being cornered and scared the worst she would do is pee herself (yeah, the part about submissive urination was true...)

but she is the only cocker i have owned, so...

jason, well i'd have to know what he is first and after 3 years, i just plain give up...

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986

Joker doesnt bark at all. JJ comented on that just the other day. He tried for 30 mintues to get him to bark. It was funny to watch.

that might also be because he's a pup... i never even heard moca bark once until she was about a year and a half old... that said she is STILL not much of a barker...

which reminds me, cockers are supposed to be barkers, aparently... not with her. some alert barks from time to time. that's it...

• Gold Top Dog

Hounds - NOT stubborn.  Smart, very smart.  Just independent. Wink

• Gold Top Dog

I always hear that PRT are hyper and almost impossible to train. I also hear that they're barky. Emma is none of the above. She's calm, and has amazing self control. She eats up all the training time I'll give her, and she only alert barks. I encourage that. She does bark, a little, from excitement, but I encourage that, too, to build drive.

I've been researching Cresteds for over 10 years. I've read that they're vocal, and tend to be one person dogs. I've always read and been told that they're extremely hard to train, and almost impossible to house train. Ena loves everybody (but she does love me best, and is a super velcro dog). She's vocal, but she's never been yappy. She's been a blast to work with, as far as training, and she hasn't been that hard to housetrain. She's actually better than Emma was, at this age. I've been working with other Cresteds, too, and I honestly don't find them hard to train, at all. They just think a little differently from most dogs, so if you apply a "one size" approach to them, it probably wouldn't work.

ETA- Cresteds also tend to be very soft, so corrections just shut them down. Might be why so many people have a tough time with them. I agree with Anne about both of my dogs. Smart, very smart. Just independant. They weren't bred to really work with people. They have their own adgenda, and if you can get yourself ON that adgenda, you're goldenWink

• Gold Top Dog

Everything I read about Chihuahuas said that they were hard to housetrain.  I think that this is nothing more than a stereotype and that it is all in the training.  Chihuahuas are very intelligent dogs, and I didn't find mine hard to housetrain at all.  I don't think it was just luck, either. ;)

• Gold Top Dog

So many people have told me that GSDs are independent, hard-headed, stubborn, hard to train, and require a heavy-hand.  What?  GSDs were developed to work WITH human handlers.  They love to be with their people and generally bond very closely with at least one person.  Mine have been a breeze to train.  They are bright, drivey, and want to learn.  They don't need a heavy hand or either you break your dog or he breaks you!  Being heavy-handed either gets you a fearful, reactive dog, or if you truly do have a hard dog you will know when you have over-corrected him and he's had enough!  They are energetic and have a lot of need as far as exercise, outlets for drive both mentally physically, but they are not a breed I would call stubborn.

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

I always hear that PRT are hyper and almost impossible to train. I also hear that they're barky. Emma is none of the above. She's calm, and has amazing self control. She eats up all the training time I'll give her, and she only alert barks. I encourage that. She does bark, a little, from excitement, but I encourage that, too, to build drive.

I've heard that too. I've had 2 PRT. One from a backyard breeder when I was 16 and Ginger from a rep. breeder. Hotspot (byb pup) wasnt barky at all and he was living in a house with a barky Pom at the time. He never picked up her barky bad habit.

Ginger was a sweetheart. I dont know if it was the missing eye or being a well bred PRT but she was very calm. In the house she would just lay on the couch. Outside she was energetic but controlable.  She was a dream to have and I didnt get to spend enough time with her.Crying

Now my friend has a PRT and oh my gosh he is what people imagine when you say PRT. But that is only because he doesn get the right amount of exercise and stimulation he needs. He is a very smart dog. He learns tricks easy if someone would work with him. He is very very barky. Jumpy too.

• Gold Top Dog

GypsyNBeau

Everything I read about Chihuahuas said that they were hard to housetrain.  I think that this is nothing more than a stereotype and that it is all in the training.  Chihuahuas are very intelligent dogs, and I didn't find mine hard to housetrain at all.  I don't think it was just luck, either. ;)

I agree that Chihuahua's are very intelligent dogs. Kujo learns things as fast as Joker. But I did have a hard time housebreaking her. Took me a year. And I still dont trust her when we arent home so she has to be crated. 

• Gold Top Dog

Emma came from a terrible breeder, who dumped her pregnant mother at the shelter. She is the very definition of congenital issues, LOL. She still manages to behave herself both in public and at home. I'm sure that stimulation and training help a LOT, but part of it has to be just her... I've literally never seen another PRT compete in rally or obedience. I did watch one blow off his handler and run out of the ring, once, but Emma.... Emma is incredible. I couldn't be prouder of a dog for coming as far as she has. She was a BAD DOG, and now she's an incredibly GOOD DOG. She responds so well to training and suggestions of how she should behave.... All she wants is a little guidance, and I suspect it's true of the entire breed.

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986

GypsyNBeau

I agree that Chihuahua's are very intelligent dogs. Kujo learns things as fast as Joker. But I did have a hard time housebreaking her. Took me a year. And I still dont trust her when we arent home so she has to be crated. 

Oh it was a GOOD long while before I was comfortable leaving Beau uncrated while I was gone.  It wasn't so much that I was afraid he would have an accident, as I just didn't want to give him the opportunity to have an accident, which I felt would set back his training.  I didn't want to give him too much freedom, too soon, even after I thought he was doing well.  I waited until I was convinced that he was completely, 100%, reliably housetrained - and then I waited some MORE - before I finally (slowly) began to really trust him with more freedom in the house and, eventually, sometimes, even leaving him uncrated when I'm gone (although I usually still crate him, for other reasons).  And now I feel like I can trust him completely.  But all that said, he is the only Chihuahua I have owned (so far), so of course I am only basing my opinion on the experience I have had with my own dog.

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986
    He loves everyone!! I havent seen him run away from a person once. I dont know if that's just because he's a pup or the socalization he has gotten. Well heck his mom come running up to me and wanted petting when I went to go get Joker. She sure wasnt reserved!!

Reserved doesn't mean "runs away".  Maybe Joker's attitude towards strangers will change as he matures - or maybe he will turn out to be a love bug like his mama Smile

I was told that a terrier would be hard to train and "snappy" with kids.  And I was told that a collie would be "hyper", a lab would "very trainable" and a Bull Terrier would definitely be dog aggressive when mature.  All of these turned out to be untrue... well with the dogs I had anyway.

• Gold Top Dog

Chuffy

Reserved doesn't mean "runs away". 

Hey that's another good one for GSDs.  People who don't know dogs/the breed think "reserved" = fearful or shy.  Not true!  

• Gold Top Dog

Jewel is only 3/4 lab but she's scared of water and wouldn't retreive if her life depended on it.Noel [aussie] comes from strong working lines but can chill out nicely.I never felt I needed to "find her a job".

Tena

• Gold Top Dog

Lab's 

Personality:

non-aggressive towards man or animal.
       Aggressiveness towards humans or other animals, or any evidence of shyness in an adult should be severely penalized.

Sam is dog-agressive. He;s only part Lab, but still. He is also shy to men at times.

BC;s
    Personality:
    • Does not tend to wander and doesn't like owner to wander off property either
    • Reserved with strangers

Tucker wandered, and loved to go anywhere,
    And, he LOVED everybody, unless you showed up after dark.