Blue eyed Shepherds?

• Gold Top Dog

Blue eyed Shepherds?

have a look

All the same dog from Poland. the owner seems to think he's mixed with wolf. she isnt entirely sure.

IS it sometimes common for sheps to have blue eyes , just like some will have collie ears?

• Gold Top Dog

Besides the coloring there's really nothing about that dog that looks like a pure GSD to me, possibly not even mixed with GSD.  Eyes obviously, but ears, coat, head/muzzle, overall conformation....it looks like some northern Spitz-y type breed.

• Gold Top Dog

Wolves don't have blue eyes.

The dog looks like a husky shepherd mix, given the thickness of the coat, the blue eyes, the fur protecting the ears and the earset itself. Husky mix all the way.

• Gold Top Dog

He is a beautiful dog, but I'm not convinced he's GSD.  Might be a mix, looks like there's some husky or similar in there.... I'll bet that's where the eyes come from.  Very handsome Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

I'd agree Husky GSD mix. Many breeds CAN have blue eyes come up in pure bred animals....Beagles and Akitas both actually. But in this case many things point to a mix with Husky.

I see no wolf...wolves have amber to brown eyes...some have a green look...but not blue.

• Gold Top Dog

i agree about husky mix - which is what i told the owner -

wolves in Poland are just like our Grey Wolves in the US and Canada. but this wasnt the first time someone told me that wolves have blue eyes lol

either way he's a beautiful dog and stands out from the rest. but i agree with everyone.  a mix of some sort. and his colours look like a shepherd but his muzzle is too blunt for a pure shepherd.

• Gold Top Dog

Husky x elkhound?  It seems if the only GSD in him is his coloring, it's still very possible there is no GSD.  If that's GSD coloring, that's a pretty dark sable, and generally a sable that dark would have a good amount of toe penciling and tar heels.

• Gold Top Dog

elk hound would also explain the markings and head shape

maybe mixed with some Keeshond

but something else is in the mix because the tail doesnt seem to curl completely over the back like any of the aforementioned spitz types... and could very well be shepherd of some sort. 

• Gold Top Dog

Caucasian shepherd?  Their tails can curl too though.

• Gold Top Dog

DumDog

elk hound would also explain the markings and head shape...

But not the size or blue eyes.  Elkhounds are roughly 20 inches tall and only about 55 pounds, and Kees are slightly smaller.  Honestly, I've seen purebred GSD with markings like the one in the OP.  However, I agree with everyone else that there is something else in that dog.  My guess would be Siberian Husky or Alaskan Malamute.

• Silver

I think you only get blue eyes in breeds that have white markings.

Siberians can come with white markings, even in piebald. Aussies, Akitas, Dalmatians, Beagles, etc. all carry the gene for white markings.

Now, if you are thinking that German Shepherds come in white, that is not the same kind of white. White GSDs are like Samoyeds and Great Pyrenees and Poodles, pigment so dilute as to appear white. The white markings gene means lack of pigment in those areas. So you don't see blue eyes in GSDs, Sams, Great Pyrs and Poodles.

(well, actually I have seen a blue eyed Sam, there is some genetic white markings in the breed but not a lot.)

• Gold Top Dog

There just seems to be more to this dog than GSD x Husky.  I suppose it's possible, but every GSD x Husky I've seen comes out like this:

I do not really know huskies but there's something about the OP dog that seems more like some northern or spitz or other more rare breed native to that area possibly.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't see GSD or Causasian Shepherd (their faces are generally more course than this dog).  If not for the blue eyes, he looks like a Eurasier.  But, definitely a Spitz type with those short, triangular ears. GSD's have longer ears.  The Spitz and Nordic dogs have the short ones.

• Gold Top Dog

Leisje, here's a couple of pictures of Heineken, the Siberian/GSD we had when we got married.

Liesje

I swear that dog is LisaK's heartdog, Tara.

• Gold Top Dog

DumDog
    have a look

I don't know what he is but he's just the type of look I love in a dog.