Labrador Retrievers

• Gold Top Dog

Labrador Retrievers

A thread about our Labs. I created this because I am getting tired or people always remarking how 'stupid', 'dumb', and 'slow' they think Labs are. This is not to put this breed above all others but to show their good traits and that they are intelligent, strong, and loyal dogs. Please feel free to post pictures of your own Labs(or Lab mixes) and tell stories about them! I love hearing about other peoples retreivers!

Disclaimer: Labrador Retreivers are not the breed for everyone and one should do extensive reasearch on a breed before buying or adopting a dog of that breed to see if said breed is right for you. Talk to many breeders and spend time with dogs of your choosen breed before getting a puppy to make sure your chosen breed is right for you and your lifestyle. The facts listed below are from thelabradorclub. I am not a dog trainer and it is highly suggested that you seek out a prefessional dog trainer to help you with curbing problems you may have with your own Labrador Retreiver.

Here are some facts from the TLC website(www.thelabradorclub.com) about Labs you may not have known.

• " The typical Labrador possesses style and quality without over refinement, and substance without lumber or cloddiness."
    • -
    • "The height at the withers for a dog is 22-1/2 to 24-1/2 inches; for a bitch is 21-1/2 to 23-1/2 inches. "
    • -
    • "Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: Males 65 to 80 pounds; Females 55 to 70 pounds. "
    • -
    • "The Labrador should have a soft, weather-resistant undercoat that provides protection from water, cold and all types of ground cover"
    • -
    • "Yellow coloring may range in hue from fox-red to light cream"

More Facts about Labs from Wikipedia.

• "Labrador Retrievers respond well to praise and positive attention, and are considerably "food and fun" oriented."
    • "Common working roles for Labradors include: hunting, tracking and detection, disabled-assistance, carting, and therapy work."
    • "Approximately 60–70% of all guide dogs in the United States are Labradors"
    • "A number of labradors have taught themselves to assist their owner in removing money and credit cards from ATMs without prior training"

If you have any myths, stories, or legends about Labrador Retrievers you would like to share please feel free to post them below!

Remember, Labrador Retrievers are an intelligent hunting breed and should never be expected to be a simple lap dog their whole lives. They thrive on training and praise. Many love having a job to do so if you own a Lab(or Lab mix) like this it will be worth your trouble to train them in Agility, dock jumping, hunting, ect.

Now pics of my Lab, Hammer-Head.

• Gold Top Dog

Ah.. The lab.. I've owned Lab mixes all my life. They are not the dog for everyone. They require a job. Be it just around the house or training in a sport.

Maze is a Black Lab/Border Collie (Oh joy.. Lol) And if she doesn't have a job or some mental stimulation, then she gets destructive.  

She's different from the average Lab as she doesn't like to swim, she doesn't like to retrevie. She's aloof around strangers yet loyal to her family. 

When someone in the house is sick, she's right by their side til they feel better. Whether they like it or not. Lol. 

My lab mix Maze

• Gold Top Dog

Labs are my favorite....always have been. Especially the black ones.

I agree, they are NOT a dog for everyone.
    But for me, they're perfect.

Yup they shed a ton, are sometimes stubborn, sometimes crazy, and can defiantly be a hand full and thensome. But, I love 'em!

I hate how people say "I won't ever get a Lab because they're too common". Since when did we start picking breeds based on how common (or uncommon) they are? How about pick a breed that fits your lifestyle!

And I also hate how people believe the myth that black Labs are aggressive, yellow Labs are always friendly, and brown are destructive/crazy. Not true! Color has NOTHING to do with tempermant, personality, etc.

Apollo is a Lab (mix maybe...lol....not sure). He's extremely ball driven, LOVES all water, loves to retrieve, excellent with kids, and extremely eager to learn. But, he knows when to turn if off and chill out in the house. I'm very very happy with him. He's a rescue from a Southern kill shelter, and now I will never buy a Lab from a breeder when I know what I can get at a shelter. I'm not going to lie, we had to work out some "kinks"....but really, he was a breeze to train. Totally worth every dime and minute I put into him (and continue to put in).

Kyda
    I am getting tired or people always remarking how 'stupid', 'dumb', and 'slow' they think Labs are.

I agree! Nothing is farther from the truth!

And seriously, I get so PO'd when people say "Ugh, Labs are so dumb. I had one once...." and they continue to tell me all the bad things the poor, UNTRAINED, dog did.

I wish everyone did a tad more research on owning a Lab before getting one.
    In a perfect world everyone would do that before getting any dog, though.

• Gold Top Dog

Any one who thinks Labs are dumb need to watch just one series in a Field Trial or Hunt Test at the upper levels of competition.  It takes an incredibly smart, focused and trainable dog to reach that level and still retain the style that makes them such a joy to watch doing their "thing". A well trained Lab and his handler are a close working team. IMO, few dogs can compete with it as fas as versatility in all aspects of being a great dog.  Of course, I must now qualify  that I'm talking about a well bred Lab in every sense of the phrase.

Hammerhead is a handsome fellow!

• Gold Top Dog
    oranges81-Maze is really cute! You can see the intelligence in her eyes.

BlackLabbie- Apollo sounds like a wonderful dog and he is lucky to havebeen rescued by you!

JackieG- Thank you. :) Oo I need to go and see a Field Trial sometime, sounds like it would be cool to watch.

• Gold Top Dog

Maze is to smart for her own good! Lol. It's scary sometimes how fast she picks stuff up.

• Gold Top Dog

Cheyanne's mom was a full blooded Dalmatian. Her dad was a Lab Chow mix. So she has more Dal in her than the other 2 but you can see the Lab in her. Well I can anyways. 

She also hates water and wouldnt retrieve anything if her life depended on it. Lol. She sheds like crazy but is far from being dumb and can be stubborn as heck. She loves loves loves food. Hehe.

She is the best dog I have. She was my first ever dog and I have to say she let me off a little too easy. I couldnt ask for a better dog to have and I wish she would tell the other dogs how to behave!! She can read my mind I swear!!

• Gold Top Dog

People who think Labs are dumb should look at the results from the National Obedience Championships.  This year, 2 of the top 4 dogs were Labs, including the 1st place winner (who just happens to train where Caleb & I do)  The 2006 NOC was a Lab, too. Party!!!   And, if they were so dumb, why would Labs be trained as service dogs for the disabled? 

NOCs 1995-2998:  http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/national_obedience_invitational/champions/ 

The Labs and mixes I've had have been incredibly smart, sometimes too smart for their own good. Of the numerous breeds I've had in my life, it's only the Labs and Lab mixes that people described as "people in fur coats".  Like everyone else has said, tho, they are not a breed for everyone.  If you don't give a Lab an outlet for their energy and intellegence, you'll end up with a "Marley".

• Gold Top Dog

micksmom
    If you don't give a Lab an outlet for their energy and intellegence, you'll end up with a "Marley".

What an excellent point. IMO, Marley was never a problem. He was doing what he was bred to do. Find stuff and retrieve it. Investigate, track. Labs are goofballs, sometimes described as eternal kids. The problem for most people is that Labs play just like smaller breeds but they do so at 30 mph and averaging 70 to 80 lbs, and I have seen a Yellow over 100 lbs and all solid muscle. Most anytime someone makes a statement like Labs being dumb, it is a reflection on the human who said it.

Labs were originally bred in Newfoundland and the Island of Labrador, in the north Atlantic to jump into frigid waters and retrieve net buoys and even water fowl. In America, they have also been adapted to flush out prey for hunters, as well as water fowl retrieval. They are not the fastest runners and their running style is better for bounding over obstacles in the field, such as high grass or fallen trees and logs. The breed requires friendliness to humans and the ability to work in groups as there may often be several dogs on a hunting expedition. So, human and dog aggression is a defect and is not part of the breed standard.

Labs have what is called "soft mouth." They have soft lips that droop a little bit and they have pressure sensitivity which can be trained to precision. This allows them to get and retrieve objects without mangling it beyond recognition. They have a superior sense of smell and can track as well as other dogs known for tracking. I have seen Shadow track a single scent on concrete in the rain. Labs have a fairly water proof skin, which helps for being in water. A short coat that does not hold onto a lot of water, which would weigh them down. They have webbed paws which aid in swimming. Because of the waterproof hide which acts as an insulator against both hot and cold, they are adaptable to a wide range of climates. I even knew of a musher team where the lead dog was a Lab.

Labs are also known as chowhounds. They like to eat and because they are big and strong and were part of hunting, there was plenty of food and they never developed a metabolism that survives on little amounts of food. It is generally inadvisable to free feed a Lab. You must, instead, monitor their intake. Which can allow for the use of NILIF, an excellent way to socialize your pet and keep him paying attention to you. Because Labs like to eat, they are quite easily trained with food rewards. This, along with a goofy affection toward humans, makes them lousy guard dogs. If a burglar throws your Lab a steak, he has easy access to your house.

Like any dog, Labs and children should always be supervised. If your Lab is trained to run and hunt and not let anything slow him down, allowing a child to hang onto him by the ears or hide is probably not a good idea. He may or may not do something to get rid of the "barnacle." Aside from that, the only problem is that Labs can play like puppies for all of their life and now your talking about a 2 year old puppy that weighs between 65 and 100 lbs at 20-something inches to the shoulder and long (Labs have two zip codes) and can run in excess of 30 mph. DW is 5' 5.5" and Shadow can put his paws on her shoulder. Training, training, training, for both dog and kids. And then, when you're tired and have rested with a glass of tea, train some more.

Labs are extremely intelligent, solving problems on the fly. They have to in pursuit of prey. "Do I run around the log or jump over it?" Labs are not independent to the degree that Sibes are but they do need direction, or they will find one on their own. Even walking can be work. And the needs increase from puppyhood to adulthood. What could wear out a 6 month old puppy ain't nothing to a 2-year-old. Labs are adaptable to any job and you can have them pull stuff or carry stuff, which can help meet the energy demand. If you have access to water and a dock, encourage dock diving. You, the human, can conserve energy while the dog wears himself out flying.

Don't be surprised at just how smart your dog can be, in any breed. Shadow came up with his own signal for going out. He would look at the harness and leash, the doorknob, and then at me, in that order. He has since refined that to a direct cue. If in the living room, he will nudge my foot and then look at me, waiting. If near the back door, he simply stands there, waiting. It's up to me to keep up.

You don't have to walk a dog miles a day, unless that is your desire. But they need work, even if that work is training and play. They can and should live in the house, within rules. But, if possible, they should have a big yard to get some zoomies and cavorting out of their system.

They should be socialized to other pets, great and small. They have big, otter-like tails so keep breakables out of tail range, such as a coffee table.

I've heard from just about every dog breed fancier that their breed is not for beginners. True, but you've got to learn sometime. With the training and understanding, a Lab can fit into most any family.

There are a few faults with the breed. Labs as a breed are prone to Hip Displaysia. Some Yellows are prone to cancer. As a large, deep chested dog, they can get gastric torsion, where the stomach can rotate and twist in the chest cavity. Avoid exercising your Lab hard right after a meal. Fortunately, for most of them, digestion makes them sleepy and they will probably rest after a meal. Labs should be slightly lean with a visible tuck at the waist next to the hind legs. An overweight Lab could point to lack of exercise, improper diet, or both. As such, a non-working Lab can be fed a maintenance diet of 18 to 22 percent protein and around 11 to 13 percent fat. I would treat Labs as a large breed, partly because of the Hip Dysplasia problem and also the height and weight. I could recommend the food I feed because of it's stellar track record for large and giant breeds but any good food, preferrably, imo, with a meat meal first food will work.

Preferrably, Labs should be handled as puppies often. With special attention to being used to having their paws handled and groomed. Lab nails grow like weeds.

Labs make wonderful pets but like any dog, they require attention and training. The challenge of this breed over other, smaller breeds is their size and strength. AKC aside, this is a working dog with the drive and energy required of such.

• Gold Top Dog

ron2

Some Yellows are prone to cancer.

I don't think color has anything to do with being prone to cancer.

My first black passed away from cancer at 13 years.

• Gold Top Dog

I might have to find new research, then. I had read some time ago, I thought, that Yellows were more prone to it, not that other Labs don't get cancer. I didn't mean to imply that Blacks and Chocolates won't get cancer. I thought it was more prevalent in Yellows. Sorry if I misled.

ETA: generally, Labs are susceptible to Lymphoma and Hermangiosarcoma (spleen). None of the sources differentiated by color. So, I guess I was wrong. I just wish I could remember where I got that from. Well, wrong is wrong.

• Gold Top Dog

ron2

I might have to find new research, then. I had read some time ago, I thought, that Yellows were more prone to it, not that other Labs don't get cancer. I didn't mean to imply that Blacks and Chocolates won't get cancer. I thought it was more prevalent in Yellows. Sorry if I misled.

Oh doG, don't apologize! I just don't think it's more prevalent in yellows vs black and choc. Unfortunately, I think it pretty common in all 3.

• Gold Top Dog

I edited my previous post but, in essence, you're right.

• Gold Top Dog

I wish that the only health problems were the few Ron mentioned.  The list is much longer.  So many of the problems are of course genetic and many can be identified in the parents and conceiveably be eliminated but once again ...."IF ONLY" raises it's head again and the finger points right at the idiot breeders who keep churning out pups with serious and deadly defects. 

I never heard that Lab's nails grow any faster than any other dogs and my own experience with the breed never revealed anything special about their nails but handling puppies and especially their feet is beneficial for any dog as Ron said.

• Gold Top Dog

ron2

Labs have what is called "soft mouth." ...

Caleb proved just how soft when he brought me a glass ornament from the Christmas tree the other day.  Apparently it fell off when he and our oldest son were racing around the house.  Since one of Caleb's "jobs" is to pick up stuff I've dropped, he brought it to me.

Another health concern to add to the list is laryngeal paralysis.  I had never heard of it until Mick was diagnosed.  While many of the bigger breeds can aquire LP, almost all of the dogs I've heard of having it since Mick's diagnosis have been Labs or Lab mixes.  As the years passed, it was discovered there are two kinds of LP- inherited and aquired.  Two more health concerns are PRA (Progressive Rental Atrophy) and EIC (Excercise Induced Collapse).