American Cocker Spaniel

• Bronze

American Cocker Spaniel

I am in love with American Cocker Spaniels. I love their merry temperament, beautiful coats, size and that they are velcro-dogs :) I have 3. But they are a TON of work. They got a bad rap from over breeding of them in the 50's. I hate nothing more that the 'oh cockers are snappy' and 'oh cockers are bad with kids' comments. A cocker from a good breeder, does not have the horrendous health issues, bad temperament, piddling issues, etc. Good breeders do patella testing, OFA, CERF and thyroid sometimes. And check pedigrees, and make sure parents meet standards. Back to the ton of work, they are such family dogs, they need to be around people. They need to exercise and stay active. Also, they require lots of brushing and grooming. Professional grooming (or learn to do it yourself) every 4 weeks. And, nutrition. I get people saying to me all the time 'oh don't cockers have bad ear infections?' and the answer is they can, but not mine. I keep them on Timberwolf Organics dog food, supplement by lots of fresh home cooked foods and veggies. A diet with no corn, soy, wheat or by-products usually results in very few ear issues. Just wanted to share my passion for the breed!!!!
    • Gold Top Dog

I, too, LOVE LOVE LOVE Cockers! I had a black and white parti named Barney...when I moved out of my parents house they wouldn't let him go! But, we're neighbors so it's not a big deal. Barney and Apollo are buddies. And, I agree, unfortunately, they have a bad rap.... but I love 'em though!

• Gold Top Dog

lmack1129
    I am in love with American Cocker Spaniels.

Me too!!! Eeep! I'm torn between what 'breed' to get next(or mix of breeds)....LOL! I want a Irish Wolfhound, a Cocker Spainel, and a Greayhound. LOL!

lmack1129
    'oh cockers are snappy' and 'oh cockers are bad with kids' comments. A cocker from a good breeder, does not have the horrendous health issues, bad temperament, piddling issues, etc. Good breeders do patella testing, OFA, CERF and thyroid sometimes. And check pedigrees, and make sure parents meet standards.

Heck, some of them from BYB's are GREAT dogs! My Mom had a buff Cocker Spainel named Sandy when we were little. That dog was the best, she but up with a 2 and a 6 year old climbiin on her, pullin her ears, pullin her nubby tail, drangin' her around, EVERYTHING!!!! Never once got snappy or mean. Greatest dog.

lmack1129
    Back to the ton of work, they are such family dogs, they need to be around people. They need to exercise and stay active. Also, they require lots of brushing and grooming. Professional grooming (or learn to do it yourself) every 4 weeks. And, nutrition. I get people saying to me all the time 'oh don't cockers have bad ear infections?' and the answer is they can, but not mine. I keep them on Timberwolf Organics dog food, supplement by lots of fresh home cooked foods and veggies. A diet with no corn, soy, wheat or by-products usually results in very few ear issues. Just wanted to share my passion for the breed!!!!

Thanks for sharing! They are the GREATEST family pets! Honestly, if someone asked me what kind of dog would work best with kids, I'd go with an All-American MUTT, a COcker Spaniel, and a Lab. Thats it. Best dogs with kids.

Gosh, I'm talking myself back into a different breed......lol

• Gold Top Dog

I love Cockers too.  I have never owned one but have been around some really nice ones and a few that give the breed some of it's bad rep.  I met two beautiful Cockers last year at the MS walk (lots of people bring their dogs) and these were just the friendliest dogs you would ever want to meet and so beautiful I wanted to steal them. 

• Gold Top Dog

A family friend has a buff/white Cocker Spaniel named Copper. He's a doll. Sweetest fface, sweetest temperment. I've vowed to steal that dog oneday....LOL!

• Puppy

lmack1129[quote user="lmack1129
    I hate nothing more that the 'oh cockers are snappy' and 'oh cockers are bad with kids' comments.

I can honestly say my cocker Has never had an issue with being snappy or bad with kids... She used to chase my little sister around the house and bite at her but.... My little sister loved it... then one day she didn't grab right and nipped her.... after that day she NEVER chased her around again.... as soon as my sister started crying that was the end of it.... Now the only thing that she puts in her mouth are her toys water and food... I am a bit confused about her though.... alot of people that have seen her says she is an unusual color... and well i'm not sure.... she is mainly a chocolate color with the tan colors on her face, she has an almost white belly and ever since she was a puppy she has had two identical patches on bother sides near her front paws that is a grayish blue color.... so i'm not sureshe is just my little girl to me.

• Gold Top Dog

Love them too! Moca is an American Cocker. Not very well bred I think (sort-of rescue).

She does have SOME skin problems, but nothing too bad. Interesting about the foods. Unfortunately not available around here...

She does have THE SWEETEST temperment EVER! You can do anything with this dog. I have never seen her get "testy" with humans. She even takes a lot of grief from Jason, before she will ever even grumble at him!