Man of the house wants his own dog- any suggestions???

• Gold Top Dog

Workingdoglover
    There are plenty of Dobes that would be great family pets but wouldn't protect anything because they just don't have the nerve anymore.  Doesn't mean they are bad dogs, but that's just not really what I see as the standard.  On the other hand, many people would rather have a dog like that. 

I knew someone that was jogging around a lake at a camp site with her HUGE Dobe. A drunk guy came up and started harassing her, then punched her in the face and the Dobe just stood there watching. I agree that many Dobes and other working breeds have been very watered down to make them more socially acceptable pets. While many view this as "improving" on the breed's temperament, it can be argued that it actually has ruined their temperaments - these breeds are not supposed to be docile and friendly.

Everyone wants to have the Disneyish idea that their dog will protect them if need be (or like Lassie - will be friendly to all friends and bite the bad guys without being told). More often then not though, the average dog no matter what breed just doesn't have the nerves or drive for that sort of thing. Even working bred dogs from "guard" breeds can't be counted on to protect you when it counts if they haven't been trained to do so.

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD

Workingdoglover
    There are plenty of Dobes that would be great family pets but wouldn't protect anything because they just don't have the nerve anymore.  Doesn't mean they are bad dogs, but that's just not really what I see as the standard.  On the other hand, many people would rather have a dog like that. 

I knew someone that was jogging around a lake at a camp site with her HUGE Dobe. A drunk guy came up and started harassing her, then punched her in the face and the Dobe just stood there watching. I agree that many Dobes and other working breeds have been very watered down to make them more socially acceptable pets. While many view this as "improving" on the breed's temperament, it can be argued that it actually has ruined their temperaments - these breeds are not supposed to be docile and friendly.

Everyone wants to have the Disneyish idea that their dog will protect them if need be (or like Lassie - will be friendly to all friends and bite the bad guys without being told). More often then not though, the average dog no matter what breed just doesn't have the nerves or drive for that sort of thing. Even working bred dogs from "guard" breeds can't be counted on to protect you when it counts if they haven't been trained to do so.

Exactly!  That's why I think many people really overthink things as far as breeds go.  No matter what the breed, it is the dog's temperament that counts.  There can be so many different temperaments in just one litter, even!  I guess I just don't see how people can expect a certain temperament just because a dog is a certain breed anymore.  Maybe that once was possible, but I honestly don't take their breed into consideration much anymore.  There are several very aggressive labs and lab mixes that come in (which is definitely not what most people think of when they think lab), and so many fearful guard-type breeds like Rotts, Dobes, GSDs, etc.  Yes, these guys might bite you, but it's for the wrong reasons for the breed (a fear-biter instead of a dog that is a confident defender as they should be).  I'm not saying that the dog should bite at all, but if a member of this breed were to bite, it should be that he was protecting someone or something, not because he was so afraid of the vet/technician, mailman, etc., etc.  There is a big difference.

Really, I think the OP's best option would be to get an alarm system if that is what the worry is all about.  Though if it's more about having a protection trained dog, I understand that.  I love training and going to trials and titling my shelter dog, so I can definitely relate.  If that is the case, then you can get that from a shelter dog.  I was quite successful.  And with a shelter dog (an older one at least, I got mine at 6 months and 4 months) you can evaluate their temperament and see if protection training would be an option with that dog.  With a puppy, even a puppy from working lines, you never really know what you'll get for sure.