Warning! Lol.

• Gold Top Dog

Thought I'd throw in the Beauceron.  Though I'm not sure the CKC recognizes them yet...?  I know AKC just recently allowed them into the herding group.  Seems like they'd be in your interest group (very active, versatile, larger) and since they're fairly new there probably isn't HUGE competition like there is with Dobes.  Might be worth looking into.  ;)  I'd LOVE to have a Dobe or Beauceron that I could title in the conformation ring and in schutzhund, but I'm think it will be much easier to do with a Beauceron than a Dobe...  Anyhoo, good luck in deciding!  I know I'd have a horrible time with it... 

• Gold Top Dog

Ooooh, i like beaucerons! There was a member here, i can't remember the username that had a beauceron, a golden and akita. Maybe they could throw in some info.

• Gold Top Dog

I would steer you away from Irish Wolfhounds, because they are pretty intense to groom. They have to be hand stripped, and that is a LOT of dog to learn to strip. Of course, if you're into that, they are really cool dogs, and I find stripping and grooming to be soothing. I'm a freak, though!

Also, Great Danes and Dobes are handler breeds, in my area. You have to have a zillion in a ring to get a major, and you really can't finish one on your own. It may be different, up there... Beaucerons are REALLY cool dogs, from what I've seen, and seem to be fun to work with.

• Gold Top Dog

You mentioned Hounds......Redbones, Blueticks, Black and Tans? They're all medium to large sized dogs, and beautiful, with short, slick coats.

I don't know what the Hound rings in your area are like, but the last AKC show that I went to only had 5-8 in each ring(aside from Basset's and Beagle's - they had 20+).

• Gold Top Dog

Bluetick Coonhounds are registered by the UKC but not the AKC....same with Redbone's and I'm pretty sure Treeing Walker Coonhounds are too.

I'd conside most of the coonhounds a med-large dog - 60+lbs is average....

• Gold Top Dog

I know Im probably going to get a lot of flak for this one but I have to put the name out...

Caucasian Ovcharka! Beautiful beasts I say!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/caucasianowtcharka.htm

• Gold Top Dog

CeeloBrown

I may be wrong but I think the OP is trying to find a breed she can show in conformation.  Too rare and even if recognized in some shows (not AKC) it would take a long time to ever finish a dog this rare. 

• Gold Top Dog

JackieG

CeeloBrown

I may be wrong but I think the OP is trying to find a breed she can show in conformation.  Too rare and even if recognized in some shows (not AKC) it would take a long time to ever finish a dog this rare. 

That being said - she also wants a dog that's not a bear to groom. That leaves out most long-coated breeds.

• Gold Top Dog

misstrouble

JackieG

CeeloBrown

That being said - she also wants a dog that's not a bear to groom. That leaves out most long-coated breeds.

And that Ovcharka dog looks like a bear, I mean a bear to groom. lol
    • Gold Top Dog

JackieG

And that Ovcharka dog looks like a bear, I mean a bear to groom. lol

Super cute looking dog thou! I think he looks like a cuddly teddy-bear! But yea - to much coat for a begginer in a ring, probably to much coat for most humans without being a show dog!

• Gold Top Dog

Its CKC registered, But you all got me on the grooming part.... GAH! I told you I would get some flak for naming it! hahaha they do have short hair'd ones!!!

• Gold Top Dog

CeeloBrown

Its CKC registered, But you all got me on the grooming part.... GAH! I told you I would get some flak for naming it! hahaha they do have short hair'd ones!!!

we all catch some crap at some point - its all in good fun thou.

I like the fluffy/fuzzie one! teddy-bear dog!!!

• Silver

I just want to point out that all coated breeds are not the same. There are some that have a very natural coat and really don't take a lot of skill to groom. With a Samoyed, all you need to trim is the back of the hocks and the feet. For the rest of the coat you basically need to know how to line comb and use a high velocity blower. Line combing and drying can be taught in just a few minutes. So grooming a Samoyed takes some time (less than you would think) but not a lot of skill.

Samoyeds do obedience, rally, agility, weight pull, sledding, some do herding. Much of it with a sense of humor, of course. LOL

• Gold Top Dog

samshine

I just want to point out that all coated breeds are not the same. There are some that have a very natural coat and really don't take a lot of skill to groom. With a Samoyed, all you need to trim is the back of the hocks and the feet. For the rest of the coat you basically need to know how to line comb and use a high velocity blower. Line combing and drying can be taught in just a few minutes. So grooming a Samoyed takes some time (less than you would think) but not a lot of skill.

Samoyeds do obedience, rally, agility, weight pull, sledding, some do herding. Much of it with a sense of humor, of course. LOL

Show grooming a Sam is actually a bit more, as they use chalk with them but it is not too terrible. My breed (Belgians) is hairy but not hard to show groom, especially bitches with correct coats (hardly anything beyond hock and feet trimming). So you are right, not all hairy breeds are hard to show groom. Of course, with all breeds there are a lot of tricks that you pick up along the way that can make the grooming more involved and give better results (grooming out faults or using products to fluff out or smooth down).

• Silver

AgileGSD

Show grooming a Sam is actually a bit more, as they use chalk with them but it is not too terrible. My breed (Belgians) is hairy but not hard to show groom, especially bitches with correct coats (hardly anything beyond hock and feet trimming). So you are right, not all hairy breeds are hard to show groom. Of course, with all breeds there are a lot of tricks that you pick up along the way that can make the grooming more involved and give better results (grooming out faults or using products to fluff out or smooth down).

You don't have to use chalk on a Sam. I've won more than once without it. In fact, one time we got a major win when I pulled into the parking lot 20 minutes before ring time. I hadn't even trimmed hocks. Five minutes to trim hocks and neaten feet (luckily we showed on grass!) less than ten minutes to brush, five to change clothes. Talk about stress!

I imagine show grooming a Belgian Terv isn't all that much different from what we do. In fact, some Samoyeds are easier because they have a shorter but plush working coat. Especially bitches. Don't need to worry about fluffing those coats.

Belgians can be a good choice for someone who wants to compete in multiple arenas.