Neo Mastiff

• Gold Top Dog

Neo Mastiff

WHAT IS WITH THE WRINKLES?!?!

I'm honestly.. Is that even healthy???? All that exposed skin near the eyes just scream infection at me!

I love the look of Thor. He looks normal to me.. But when I look up pictures of them.. The ones I find just sicken me....

What is the purpose of all the extra skin?? To me the dog has no shape.. He's just skin with legs....

Or is the Neo Mastiff seperated into two groups like the GSD?? Is there a show line and a working line?  Also is that how they've always looked or is this another breed that has been over bred to meet the comestic needs of people??

I'm really curious cuz this was one of the breeds on my list to research when choosing my show breed. Smile

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81

I love the look of Thor. He looks normal to me.. But when I look up pictures of them.. The ones I find just sicken me...

I LOVE Thor!

The ones I see online are like the pics you found too, and that isn't appealing to me!

• Gold Top Dog

I agree!!! Thor is a beauty, but that dog in the pic is ugly. I think it's just for people.

Is that dog crossed with a Shar Pei?!?

• Gold Top Dog

I love Thor too!!! I tried finding some like him but all the ones I can find are all skin. 

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986

I love Thor too!!! I tried finding some like him but all the ones I can find are all skin. 

www.puppysites.com

its a good place to look for breeders - thou not all the breeders on they're are good breeders.

• Gold Top Dog

I cant look. I have my limit on dogs!!! I remember the first time I saw Thor on here and went looking up his breed. But all I saw was the ugly ones!! Couldnt find any that looked like Thor. 

• Gold Top Dog

Me too

I'm looking at the Neo's on puppysites, and MOST of them are the ugly ones.....*sigh*

• Gold Top Dog
    • Gold Top Dog
    I honestly love the wrinkles. Adds character. And if you read up on the breed's history, they say the wrinkles were to scare off intruders. Although it doesn't say how much wrinkles. I guess it'll vary off of preference.

But, I really don't like when the Neo doesn't have barely any wrinkles. It's the closest cousin to the Cane Corso, so I feel that if you want a Neo with little to no wrinkles, look at a Cane Corso (some breeders, unfortuantely, breed for more wrinkles). The wrinkles make the breed, and I like that.

EDIT: If you are looking for a show Neo, look at certain judges and the dog's they place. If they go for a more wrinkled look, then I'd look for a more wrinkled Neo, or if they want a "smoother" look, find a smoother Neo.

And if you think that is bad; check out the Korean Dosa. They are another one of my favorite breeds (as is the Neo) and they have twice as much wrinkles.

• Gold Top Dog

Rene.E2008
    I honestly love the wrinkles. Adds character. And if you read up on the breed's history, they say the wrinkles were to scare off intruders. Although it doesn't say how much wrinkles. I guess it'll vary off of preference.

But, I really don't like when the Neo doesn't have barely any wrinkles. It's the closest cousin to the Cane Corso, so I feel that if you want a Neo with little to no wrinkles, look at a Cane Corso (some breeders, unfortuantely, breed for more wrinkles). The wrinkles make the breed, and I like that.

EDIT: If you are looking for a show Neo, look at certain judges and the dog's they place. If they go for a more wrinkled look, then I'd look for a more wrinkled Neo, or if they want a "smoother" look, find a smoother Neo.

And if you think that is bad; check out the Korean Dosa. They are another one of my favorite breeds (as is the Neo) and they have twice as much wrinkles.

It's not the wrinkles pre say.. It's the fact that it looks like the skin is literally falling off. Especially around the eyes.  Wrinkles don't bother. Infact I love wrinkles.. With in reason

• Gold Top Dog

Hey!! I should visit more this part of the forum!! Look all this people saying how much they love my Thor!! Squeeeee!!! I love Thor too BTW ~lol~ He is the perfect dog for me Big Smile

I should say that the wrinkly-wrinkly neos you see are very nice looking but, my own experience in the house of a breeder and commentaries I have heard: this guys stink!! The breeder I visited in Venezuela gave tuna and fish oil to his dogs, also beef and chicken and stuff. But they all stink awfully!! They had this horrible green liquid pooring out of their eyes constantly and the slober was hanging all the time out of their mouths. Of course, the climate thing probably has to do something about the way these dogs were... but they all seemed to be very ealthy, shiny coat, amazing white teeth and good manners. They have a very good pedigree and trophies in Italy. The way they walked it's amazing and they of course look like these scary beast, even though they have a heart of gold and a great temper.

But I prefer my Thor less-wrinkles (sorry Rene) and less-drool.

• Gold Top Dog

Calinisima
    I should say that the wrinkly-wrinkly neos you see are very nice looking but, my own experience in the house of a breeder and commentaries I have heard: this guys stink!! The breeder I visited in Venezuela gave tuna and fish oil to his dogs, also beef and chicken and stuff. But they all stink awfully!! They had this horrible green liquid pooring out of their eyes constantly and the slober was hanging all the time out of their mouths. Of course, the climate thing probably has to do something about the way these dogs were... but they all seemed to be very ealthy, shiny coat, amazing white teeth and good manners. They have a very good pedigree and trophies in Italy. The way they walked it's amazing and they of course look like these scary beast, even though they have a heart of gold and a great temper.

See that's what worries me with the exposed areas.. Drooling doesn't bother me if it's for a reason. St. Bernards, Mastiffs and such drooling don't bother me but when the skin around the jowls and mouth hang so low like that would bother me...

Now Calinisima... How did you get a non wrinkly, non drooly Neo?? Or am I just gonna have to kidnap Thor when I'm out in Blackie next summer?

• Gold Top Dog

Show dogs are going to be the most extreme version of their breed. Extreme angles, extreme coat, extreme furnishings, extreme wrinkles. Thor is an utterly adorable, pet quality Neo. The show dogs are all going to have the stinky wrinkles and stringy drool, LOL. For some reason, the breed standard seems to get pretty stretched, when it comes to the show ring (at least from what I've seen). A moderate tuck up becomes a wasp waist. Heavy wrinkles becomes skin on legs.

• Gold Top Dog

Kidnapped Thor!?!?!?? Noooo please!! Let me tell you he is friends with the high spheres of Blackie (LOL) so be careful!

As Jennie says

jennie_c_d
    Thor is an utterly adorable, pet quality Neo

What a perfect description of my boy, he has not "show quality" whatever that is, but he is perfect for me and my family! You will see Wink

• Gold Top Dog

if i was an intruder that dog in the first post would be the dog i would hope to be behind the fence because he cant bloody well see me with all those wrinkles covering his eyes!

i mean does he even HAVE eyes??

i dont know why show breeders feel a need to go to disgusting extremes. when someone says wrinkles, slopes, or droopy ears they just..... ugh! its crazy! that dog couldnt bite its own food without biting itself first!

this is what i believe they should look like...

This dog's name translates into English as "all drool" and would be pronounced "turto wvallo" in dialect. This picture was taken just about 1927 in front of the cheese shop. 

This is a breed i've always fancied owning but probably never will .... not unless its a mix. .. and even then i would strongly consider the source Hmm