Aussiedoodles (here is one for you, Jewlieee!)

• Gold Top Dog

Aussiedoodles (here is one for you, Jewlieee!)

I just found this, how frustrating!  Read their whole post, right down to the last email at the bottom! 

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-AUSSIEDOODLES-Standard-Poodle-X-Australian-Shepherd-W0QQAdIdZ86488129

• Gold Top Dog

ha. The doodle craze really doesn't bother me too much. I just wouldn't pay that much for a mutt, myself. $850! You can find those kinds of dogs at the shelter.

This "hobby breeder" is obvously in it for the money.

• Gold Top Dog

Argh.  That's really frustrating.  I get so irritated when you can tell that they're really in it for the money.   Why not rescue a poodle/aussie mix instead?

• Gold Top Dog

I particularly like this part...Confused

Prices starting at $850 and up depending on colour.

• Gold Top Dog
    Workingdoglover

I particularly like this part...Confused

Prices starting at $850 and up depending on colour.

Oh no, my favorite part was, '(For the poodle or Australian Shepherd purist who frowns on hybrids - we are sorry, but we just could not resist seeing what cute babies these are going to be!!)'

Couldn't resist, eh? So you couldn't google Aussiedoodle pup? There, you saw 'what cute babies' they were.

• Gold Top Dog

Infiniti

Argh.  That's really frustrating.  I get so irritated when you can tell that they're really in it for the money.   Why not rescue a poodle/aussie mix instead?

In all fairness, it wouldn't be all that easy to turn up such dog in a shelter. Most shelter mixes are likely multi-generation, meaning one or both of their parents are mixes.

• Gold Top Dog

Woooooow. Thats all I can say.

At least they did ask people to research the 'breed'.

I do, however, like that e-mail. HA! Sorry - I find it  funny.

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD
     In all fairness, it wouldn't be all that easy to turn up such dog in a shelter. Most shelter mixes are likely multi-generation, meaning one or both of their parents are mixes.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that it can be difficult to find that precise mix.  I hardly ever see Poodles or Poodle-mixes in shelters.  But I also just realized that I typed my original post poorly, that sentence was meant to mean Aussie or Poodle mix...silly slash mark.  I feel like I see lots of Aussie mixes in shelters in my area, and sometimes it makes me frustrated that Aussie or Poodle mixes in shelters lose out when people breed dogs for no particular reason.

• Gold Top Dog

"Aussie purist" here!!!  I couldn't resist emailing the stooopid jerk to see if I could get the registered names of the parent dogs;-))  I'll string the jerk along for a while before I tell her how offensive her ad and her breeding program really are.  Can't wait till her buyers start wanting to return all the epileptic curly coated phantoms. Ugh

• Gold Top Dog

oh wow!  spirit dogs, let me know what happens!

I get so so frustrated with people selling puppies who are mix and matches of sometimes 3 or 4 breeds, and are selling them for 500$ - 1100$!  There was a "morkie" for sale that was 1100$!  I just don't get it!

• Gold Top Dog

Yep. My Dad's one of those people that would rather buy a pup then adopt. I hate it. We argue over it - not like we're getting another now anyway. Why can't people just find a good rescue?

At least she's asking people to do some research first.

• Gold Top Dog

So far, no response...

• Gold Top Dog

Infiniti

AgileGSD

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that it can be difficult to find that precise mix.  I hardly ever see Poodles or Poodle-mixes in shelters.  But I also just realized that I typed my original post poorly, that sentence was meant to mean Aussie or Poodle mix...silly slash mark.  I feel like I see lots of Aussie mixes in shelters in my area, and sometimes it makes me frustrated that Aussie or Poodle mixes in shelters lose out when people breed dogs for no particular reason.

Oh no doubt people could find an Aussie mix fairly easily and maybe even a Standard Poodle mix here and there. I used to get really annoyed about the purpose mixing of breeds but any more it doesn't bother me much. I really like some of the working and sport bred mixes actually. Some Doodle breeders do health test and do breed for temperament (some are even breeding Doodles that hunt). Shelter Aussies or Poodles mixes aren't losing homes to Doodle buyers anymore than they're losing homes to people buying purebred Aussie puppies - both buyers are looking for something specific (even if it can be misguided with Doodle buyers).

• Gold Top Dog

One reason there aren't many Poodles in shelters is that there is a healthy network for Poodle rescue, and a lot of them get pulled and placed into foster homes.  Plus, Poodles are not often used as working dogs any more, so they tend to be owned by those who want a pet, and a foo foo one at that (no disrespect intended, just as a contrast to what happens with Aussies).  The Aussies are often abandoned, tossed from the farms, if they won't work.  So, they either get picked up by animal control or stay free for a while breeding with whatever, and those dogs often end up in shelters, too.  It's no accident that the strays in the south are usually herding or hound mixes.  Reputable Aussie breeders would probably not consider using good breeding stock to mix with Poodles to make designer dogs due to one simple fact.  The Aussie gene pool is so very small, and good breeding stock, with no history of epilepsy or HD, or iris coloboma, etc. in their lines are very valuable in the Aussie world. 

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs
    Reputable Aussie breeders would probably not consider using good breeding stock to mix with Poodles to make designer dogs due to one simple fact.  The Aussie gene pool is so very small, and good breeding stock, with no history of epilepsy or HD, or iris coloboma, etc. in their lines are very valuable in the Aussie world. 

I doubt such Aussies exist in anyone's lines. Dogs themselves who are free of such issues certainly do but dogs who are free of genetic issues, have no relatives with genetic issues and are totally "genetically normal" are extremely unlikely in any breed.