Cute little mix....have some Q's

• Gold Top Dog

Cute little mix....have some Q's

Everyone knows that I *want* another dog, I just can't handle 2 fully grown 50lb dogs at the moment....but I've found a litter of mixed puppies that I like. I wanted to adopt my next dog, but these guys are pullin' at my heart. They're Aussie Cattle Dog(Blue Heeler) and Husky mixed, does any one have much experience with either breed? Both would be great. I really need to know possible temerment....here's the link...

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/pet/904444601.html

• Gold Top Dog

drive drive drive. ACD's are not dogs for the easily intimindated LOL. They have a will to work and they will choose their work if none is offered. Not always great with children or other dogs I would say...just because of the herding nipping if not directed properly. Husky? vocal, shed LOTS..independant never an off leash breed. Escape artists if allowed to become so...sometimes quarrelsome with dogs of the same sex..not always but sometimes. Not a guard dog, very loving to most anyone. Prey drive so small animals should be on the lookout!

Mix of the two sounds like a lot of dog...potentially fun to train if OB or Agility or herding interests you...but not a sit on couch type of dog.

• Gold Top Dog

btw I think they mean Aussie not ACD...blue merle isn't really seen in ACD...they are more a mottle color. Plenty of Aussie people here for input on that breed...

• Gold Top Dog

Well they are both very independent breeds, so there is that to consider.  I'm also not sure that this is a mix that will stay "little" for very long.  As a rough guess, it will be about 50 lbs fully grown. 

• Gold Top Dog

They are adorable. I can see why you'd fall in love with them. But I have to ask, would the new pup/dog be allowed to be an inside dog?

Plus have you thought about the amount of time it would take. Having 2 dogs is not just twice the amount of time, its more like triple and above. Toss in one as a puppy and you've got weeks of understanding why puppy breath makes you melt (generally)

I'm not trying to discourage you, just wondering if you've thought it all out.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

btw I think they mean Aussie not ACD...blue merle isn't really seen in ACD...they are more a mottle color. Plenty of Aussie people here for input on that breed...

Probably - I'm just used to seeing Aussie writen as Aussie LOL.....

• Gold Top Dog

oh and Benedict is right...these won't be small dogs...aren't you wanting something smallish? You should contact laurelin here...she's with Papillon rescue and they have a CUTE long leggitty Papillon mix that might be perfect!

• Gold Top Dog

3girls

They are adorable. I can see why you'd fall in love with them. But I have to ask, would the new pup/dog be allowed to be an inside dog?

Plus have you thought about the amount of time it would take. Having 2 dogs is not just twice the amount of time, its more like triple and above. Toss in one as a puppy and you've got weeks of understanding why puppy breath makes you melt (generally)

I'm not trying to discourage you, just wondering if you've thought it all out.

I'd try for it to be inside - it would for the first few months anyway, until spring is here. Mom's a sucker for puupies/puppy breath and wouldn't leave a little pup out in the cold. I know that I probably won't be getting one, mainly because my Dad wants a BC, but the possibility is open and the more I know about how this dog will act, the easier I can state my case. I really just want some input on the breed combo - seeing as I read it wrong to begin with, they're Aussie Sheps. and Husky(probably Sibe.)

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

oh and Benedict is right...these won't be small dogs...aren't you wanting something smallish? You should contact laurelin here...she's with Papillon rescue and they have a CUTE long leggitty Papillon mix that might be perfect!

No, I want something Sam's size. 50lbs-ish. That was Mom won't flip a lid when they get to playing ruff - like she does when Taz and Sam play.

• Gold Top Dog

neither breed is a breed that can be left outside unsupervised. Ever.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

neither breed is a breed that can be left outside unsupervised. Ever.

That's what I figured....plus I won't have the time of Agility training, Disk Dog - maybe. It's ok thou, I hope they find good homes with owners that can do stuff like that with them. Thanks everyone

• Gold Top Dog

I should PM Julie to chime in on this thread...she has a Siberian and three Aussies...

:::runs off to do so:::

Anywho, these pups are probably going to be drop-dead gorgeous, and VERY smart.  Both huskies and Aussies are extremely smart, driven breeds.  Be prepared for a dog who is going to GOGOGO, and will make a job for themself if you don't make one first.

And be prepared for shedding...lots and lots of it.  Both breeds shed buckets, so investing in good grooming tools would be a must for this pup.

And he/she wouldn't be able to be trusted off-leash.  Any Siberian mix can NEVER be let off-leash in an unsecure area, regardless of how much he/she might grow up to look like an Aussie.

My only other concern though, is that both Aussies and Siberians are PACK dogs.  They HAVE to be with their families, and if he/she ends out being an outdoor dog, it may not sit well with the pup.  Perhaps see about making them an indoor dog, and if not, try to set up a schedule where they can be with their family for the majority of the day.  Otherwise, I might consider another breed(s).

I don't think I can stress how smart and driven this pup could be.  But if you are prepared to put in the work, and ready to channel his/her energy, he/she would be a great dog.  And have a sense of humor in regards to a pup with this parentage.  In my experience, Aussies are delightfully clever, and will joke around with you.  And most of the Nordic breeds have that wonderful (and at times infuriating) way of deciding which command you ACTUALLY want them to do.  Like with Honor, you can always tell that she's thinking "Sit?! No! Sit is boring and dull...you want a flashy roll-over!  That's really what you want!" Smile

Think about it, and spend time researching both breeds some more before deciding.  

• Gold Top Dog

Oh, they are pretty now! I would love to see one all grown up!

I'm not going to look much further into these breeds(or mix). I can't provide he/she with a job right now, so IF I get another dog, it will need to be more mellow.

Infiniti

Like with Honor, you can always tell that she's thinking "Sit?! No! Sit is boring and dull...you want a flashy roll-over!  That's really what you want!" Smile

Think about it, and spend time researching both breeds some more before deciding.  

I like Honor's way of thinking! LOL! I bet it's frustrating thou!

I really do need a calmer, less driven breed. I should have known better then to think any sort of 'Aussie' dog would not need a job...*slaps self* Smile

Thanks everybody

• Gold Top Dog

Just getting to this thread! Sounds like you have already made up your mind so I'll spare you my "warnings" :)

• Gold Top Dog

Yea....to much energy/drive! But they are soooooo cute, they have 9 of them if anyone wants a furture agility/OB star! I could keep it for you far a few days or weeks! LOL! Adorable pups, to much as an adult thou!