Breed Question?!?

• Bronze

Breed Question?!?

My dog Zeus is a rescue, I got him from a shelter when he was 3 months old. I was told he was an Akita/Chow mix and never understood where his markings came from.

Is Zeus part Tibetan Mastiff??

http://dbworld.s3.amazonaws.com/6046639_600.jpg

Here is a pic of 3 young TM's

http://www.breederretriever.com/photopost/data/741/tibetan_mastiff.jpg 

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know anything about TMs, however, that pattern is present in a wide variety of breeds (German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman, Border Collie, Aussie, Kelpie, Hovawart come to mind...).  My mutt has the same pattern, though his tan areas are a richer red.  Ironically, his mother (a mix herself) is mostly white.

• Gold Top Dog

No TM there.  Considering how rare they are it is highly unlikely anyway.

I wouldn't say Chow, but I see Akita, and Aussie

• Gold Top Dog

I'd say Chow and Shep...?

• Gold Top Dog

Aussie and a breed with erect ears.  Perhaps more than two breeds.  I don't see anything that screams Chow at me.

Tibetan Mastiffs are pretty uncommon, I'd think it highly unlikely that they're in a mix. They're also very large.

• Gold Top Dog
    For some reason I want to say Aussie x German Shepherd. Something about the face....
    • Gold Top Dog

TM's are HUGE dogs...lol. They make my 92lbs puppy look dinky!

Your boy looks like our Zeus who was a Dobie X Aussie mix. He had rose ears not pricked...and the same shaggy black tri coat.

Handsome dog!

• Gold Top Dog

You have a gorgeous dog.  The TM is also gorgeous and I can see what you see.  I sure would like a TM for my very own.

• Puppy
    SportyShorty911

My dog Zeus is a rescue, I got him from a shelter when he was 3 months old. I was told he was an Akita/Chow mix and never understood where his markings came from.

Is Zeus part Tibetan Mastiff?? 

I think Tibetan Mastiff would be reeeeally unlikely. And probably that's a good thing, since the TM temperament doesn't seem like the sort of thing that most pet owners want or are equipped to deal with. It's hard to tell from one picture that doesn't show the entire body, but I don't see much Akita or Chow in that one photo of Zeus. Some combination of aussie, possibly husky, maybe border collie, maybe GSD seems more likely to me, although both akitas and chows are common enough that it's conceivable they are in the ancestry somewhere. Maybe even rottie. He looks like a very lovely dog, but, but then again, I've always been a sucker for longish haired black dogs with tan markings.
    • Gold Top Dog

I say Akita and Chow because of his ears....pretty typical for those breeds