What's your favorite guard breed?

• Gold Top Dog

Canis Panther?

Isnt that a designer dog breed with only one breeder in the US who is not even currently breeding?

I think its tricky business mixing a DA breed with a HA breed. No doubt they are beautiful and appealing but I think its a diservice to the Dobermen and the APBT.

With that said my favorite guard breeds are the Dogue De Bordeaux and working Dobie.

• Gold Top Dog

yea, they are a cross between a great dane, pit, lab and dobie.....impressive looking dogs though!

• Gold Top Dog

Rottweiler, Doberman or Dogo Argentino...

Without thinking twice!

• Gold Top Dog

She may be little, but you wouldn't get my silverware outta here with my Bossy Aussie on duty.  I do have a soft spot for Dobes, though - I had a great girl back in the 80's.  I also like the Leonbergers.

• Gold Top Dog

AuroraLove

I think its tricky business mixing a DA breed with a HA breed. No doubt they are beautiful and appealing but I think its a diservice to the Dobermen and the APBT.

I couldn't agree more.

• Silver

Big Smile Well besides the one big obvious one for me.. (Hint: see avatar and signature) I'm in love with Corsos, Dogos, Presas, Bullmastiffs, Filas and Dobes.  Their all such intelligent and powerful, yet deeply devoted breeds... Smile

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

erica1989
    yea, they are a cross between a great dane, pit, lab and dobie

wow didn't know that the dog at the top of this page looks quite a lot like Bugsy but with point ears

• Gold Top Dog

Mine would be Rottie's, both of ours, may they rest in peace, were wonderful "guard dogs".  They didnt have to do anything, just stand there and look at someone.  Little did anyone know, they would have licked them to death, lol. Stick out tongue They both were huge.  I say that but  if anyone had tried to come between me and my boys or try to hurt me they would have run them off!!!!  Even when male neighbors they knew would come over to see us, they would stand between us, getting petted ok, but still between us.

• Gold Top Dog

As much as I would love a Canis Panther, next time I'm definately rescuing. I'm trying to decide on either a Dobie or a RR but I'm torn!

• Gold Top Dog

If not any LGDs who make very good household guards I'd have to say so for me Boerboel and Cane Corso. I still will probably look into others with time. Jindo, Tosa, Tibetan Mastiff (although some of the health problems worry me). Presa Canario perhaps.

• Gold Top Dog

RaceProfessor

As much as I would love a Canis Panther, next time I'm definately rescuing. I'm trying to decide on either a Dobie or a RR but I'm torn!

OOh that would definitely be a tough decision fr me to make as well.

If you dont own a home consider that renting with a Dobie might be harder. At least RR are less known to non-dog people.On the other hand I hear once you go RR you never go back so that may keep you from ever owning another breed, LOL. Stick out tongue

Definitely a toughie!

• Gold Top Dog

I own so that won't be the issue. The issue is which one!Super Angry

• Gold Top Dog

Hmmm. I have to preface this with the fact that I don't want a super guardy dog. That as the background, I love me a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Big, powerful, brave, but not bite happy. Eko is as much a guard dog as I want.

If I really wanted a guard dog I'd be tempted to go with a well-socialized livestock guardian. They're powerful dogs with an instinct to protect (rather than attack).

• Gold Top Dog

I think saying LGDs don't count is a bit of a fault. I own a mix, and while I know he'd rather run and hide than bite someone, the person standing in my yard or entering my house doesn't. You can raise LGDs with your family (as Misha was) and I think they make excellent household protection dogs. I mean, Misha has enough sense to know when someone is in our yard or on the path behind our yard from his kennel, when he can't actually see the path. I would say the downside is that he's a bit too independent, choosing to run off into the woods instead of staying with me. But if you had the area to keep one, and a nice fenced in yard, I think an LGD could be just as good a household guardian as others purposed for that.

That said... my favorite guardian breed? I like Mastiffs, as in the general. I like big, drooly dogs. What I'd own? I have no idea.

• Gold Top Dog

I know they are not a traditional guard dog but I'd say the Chesapeake Bay retriever.  They're retrievers, which makes them awesome anyway, but they are also known for they're guarding abilities.  At the same time they are good with kids, trainable, love to swim, good looking dogs, and again, retrievers.....