Boxer weather tolerance

• Gold Top Dog

Boxer weather tolerance

I have been researching the boxer breed. they say they are intolerant to heat and cold. But I can't find anything to say what extremes of cold and hot they are talking about, so I figure people that have them would be the best source of info. Also, tell me what you love and your dislikes about your boxer. Julie
    • Gold Top Dog

Well...I don't own a boxer, but there are PLENTY nearby. In FL- it gets HOT. They seem to do pretty well, walks later at night, watch for toung curling (same as in bostons and other short faced breeds) - that means they are getting over heated. With any breed, you need to keep a close eye on them in extreme weather. I would not reccomend this breed for Alaska or some place that stays cold, often.

Where do you live and what are your temp ranges?

• Gold Top Dog

I had a boxer and we never had any problems, he was fine with all types of weather.

When it was hot, he would sleep almost all day; he'd go out in the morning and in the evening. In the spring, summer and the beginning of autumn,  he would swim every day and winter was never a problem, he loved the snow... The last year of his life, as nights are sometimes very cold here, we used to cover him up, though. Not that he needed it...

But remember, they are not to be kept outside. Maybe when it's warm, but in the winter - no way.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks, we live in TN where I think the coldest I remember is around zero but a lot of times winters are mild. But in the summer it is hot and humid, high 90's sometimes. I would be keeping it in the house, but we always kenneled our dogs in a kennel that was half in the barn and half outside when we went on vacation, and that would not be able to happen in this case. We do have a basment that the dogs have access to for regular days that they would be spending time outside, so they can get in from the cold or hot anytime they want to. It stays extrememly cool in the summer and in the winter on extra cold nights, we have run a little heater, even though they definitely don't need it. But if the dogs would all prove to be safe in the fenced in yard, maybe they would be able to stay out while we are gone and have access to the basement. it would mean padlocking all the gates so no one could come in and accidentally leave one open in between the pet sitter coming.

I felt bad when i read about the heat intolerance because a couple of years ago a boxer followed me home from a walk  in August and I let him stay while I searched for his home, then found him a new home. We didn't have a fenced in yeard at the time, so he could leave but he didn't thank goodness. But I made him stay outside becasue i had my Rottie in the house and the other two dogs in the basement and was home alone while my husband was out of town so i was afraid to try to put all the dogs together. I kept water out for him, he had shade, plus he had the barn to get in if he wanted, but knowing what I know now he was probably so hot. He has a great inside home now but still. Julie

• Gold Top Dog

spiritsmom
    Also, tell me what you love and your dislikes about your boxer.

Ups, I didn't see this the first time...

My only dislikes were all the illnesses that started to develop when he was about 8-9 years old... And the short lifetime, 8-10 years.

I loved everything he was since the moment we took him home as a 2 months old puppy. His perfect temperament, not the smallest hint of any aggression, his love and devotion for his family... Everything. 

We had to put him down this June; he was 11, very weak and ill, he started to have heart attacks and one day, he couldn't get up. There was no choice and no hope so we made the decision. But he left such a hole in our lives which is so hard to describe...

This is Max, my dear, dear friend...

• Gold Top Dog

he was absolutely beautiful. So sorry you lost him. I felt the same way about my Kota, 10 years seemed so short, but they were an amazing 10 years to love her and have her love. Julie

• Gold Top Dog

I can't speak for cooler temps, as it doesn't get extremely cold here, but we definitely deal with heat & humidity.  Chyna does fine in hot temps.  As long as you use common sense, I can't see a reason that you climate would present a problem for a boxer.  ie...avoid heavy exercise in the hottest parts of the day.

I love the "forever young" attitudes that boxers have.  Chyna is 10 1/2 years old, & she still acts like a silly puppy.  Boxers are very trainable, & are generally good with others, yet they will guard your home if need be. 

I hate the fact that cardio issues, & cancer are considered common in the breed.

Here's a couple pics of my old girl.

• Gold Top Dog

She is absolutely beautiful...

BEVOLASVEGAS
    I hate the fact that cardio issues, & cancer are considered common in the breed.

You see, our vet told us once that boxers are the only dog breed in the world in which all the dog illnesses and diseases where recorded... That is so sad...

• Gold Top Dog

So beautiful Amanda!

I actually have come up with another question that i will try to just asking hiddenin this post. My local rescue page has a section on gender because they say that 2 females will eventually fight. I don't know if they mean 2 females boxers or 2 female dogs, but I have 2 female dogs already and do not particularly care to get a male because of gardening and the male tendency to lift the leg. Hmm...Julie

• Gold Top Dog

As I understand it, female boxers tend to be female aggressive to all breeds.  It doesn't mean that all female boxers will be female aggressive, just that there is higher probablility that they will.  Chyna lives with two other female dogs without an issue.  With that being said, I am very careful when I have her out with other female dogs.  She is much less likely to tolerate rude behavior from another female than she is with a male.

• Gold Top Dog

All female dogs have the tendencey to be female agressive. Not all are female agressive, but theyre are those out there. I live in NC, one of my close friends has a female Boxer. She does great year round, and lives with a female Min Pin. Only thing you really have to watch is during the summer when it gets really hot.

• Gold Top Dog

Although I do not have a Boxer right now, I have always loved the breed.  We had a female that was absolutely the sweetest dog alive - playful and energetic, but always very controllable and easy to work with. Very smart and very willing.

We bought our daughter a male Boxer when she was 16 and he moved with her when she married.  He is now 8 years old and going strong.  He is a white Boxer.  Bo is healthy and strong, good natured, well behaved, and always gentle.  Again, very smart, very willing, very energetic but controllable.  Very strong and excelled at obedience.

Temperature issues.  COLD:  The only thing we have noticed is some cold intolerance as Bo's gotten older.  He loves to go outside and LOVES the snow, but he can't stay out there real long before he's shivering. They don't get much of a coat, even if kept outside (which they NEVER should be).  Bo was a rescue dog and had been left outside all of Nov and most of Dec before we got him. He was miserable and did suffer from some frostbite.  He is now, of course, an inside dog (as was our female) so it isn't really an issue.  HEAT:  Extreme heat is hard on him, as it is on most dogs. I would never leave him (or any other dog) outside in the heat and sun.   He'd prefer to be inside where it's cooler and he does drink a large amount of water in the summer.  Boxers really are indoor dogs. 

Boxers are 'forever puppies'.  Doesn't seem to matter how old they get to be, they are always playful and enjoy their toys.  Both Boxers showed great gentleness, patience, and protectiveness towards our kids/grandkids.  My only problem with Boxers is the same one I have with most other breeds now - the shedding.  They don't shed excessively, but they do shed.  I remain, however, a true fan of the Boxer breed.  Very nice dogs.

• Puppy

Rule of thumb with a Boxer. Stand outside naked. If it is too cold or too warm for you, it will be too much for your Boxer :)