What Kind of Dog Do I Have?

• Silver

What Kind of Dog Do I Have?

I adopted my dog from a shelter so I'm not exactly sure what breeds she might be. Any suggestions? Check out her pictures on my page.

• Gold Top Dog

Half standing ears and bluesh tongue....I'd say Shar pei/ Pit mix... A good looking girl.

• Gold Top Dog

I'd go for a Shar Pei mix too, judging by the photos of her head,  but I have no idea what else...

Anyway, she is a very lovely girl and has a nice name!Wink 

• Gold Top Dog

I'm terrible @ guessing breeds but one thing I know for sure is that she's aDORable & looks like a very happy girl.  She also has a nice fashion sense.  That scarf looks great on her.

• Gold Top Dog

those cute ears scream sharpei. I don't see pit - she's too slender - not square like a pit would be. I would say boxer/shar pei.

• Silver

Just updating this post. (totally forgot about this website)

I had my dog's DNA tested and it turns out she's 20-36% Chow Chow, 20-36% Mastiff, 10-19% Shetland Sheepdog, less than 10% Australian Shepherd, less than 10% Brittany, and less than 10% Saluki.

• Gold Top Dog

Caitylin

Just updating this post. (totally forgot about this website)

I had my dog's DNA tested and it turns out she's 20-36% Chow Chow, 20-36% Mastiff, 10-19% Shetland Sheepdog, less than 10% Australian Shepherd, less than 10% Brittany, and less than 10% Saluki.

Unfortunately you should have saved your money, as those tests tend to be very inaccurate. Chances are pretty fair that your dog has no Saluki in the mix at all. They are a very uncommon breed and not likely to be carelessly breeding with random dogs.

• Silver

Well, I'm not really concerned about the "less than 10%" ones anyways. But I definitely see the chow and mastiff.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

those cute ears scream sharpei. I don't see pit - she's too slender - not square like a pit would be. I would say boxer/shar pei.

old recently updated but yes...definitely a Shar Pei mix. Chow Chows and Pei's are closely related which is why the test brought it up most likely. LOL...we were more accurate than the test more than likely. *lol*

• Gold Top Dog

Caitylin

Well, I'm not really concerned about the "less than 10%" ones anyways. But I definitely see the chow and mastiff.

Maybe she is part Chow and Mastiff, maybe not. You really can't be any more sure after the test than you were before. If you want more info on how these tests work (and how they don't):

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-accurate-are-dog-breed-dna-tests.html (includes a video of a person testing their Champion American Staffordshire Terrier and the results that the dog was primarily a Border Collie with a Boston being a secondary breed and a Bulldog a third).

http://www.dogplay.com/GettingDog/dna_testing.html

• Gold Top Dog

Yeah, the DNA test are not good.  I would go with the original advice offered here then trust that.

To show you what I'm talking about, I sent in my dog's blood sample for analysis and it came back that my 45lb black and white dog with high herding instincts is part Irish Wolfhound and Chow Chow.  Might as well also say there is part Guinea Pig in her as well since she sometimes think she is.

Google pics of Irish Wolfhound and Chow:

My Dog: