Is Your Breed Easy To Train?

• Gold Top Dog

Is Your Breed Easy To Train?

I just took Riley on a long walk and practiced heeling and his recall....he did really well, but I gotta say sometimes it would be nice to have a border collie or aussie or german shepherd - one of those breeds that are renowned for their trainability. It seems like it would be so much easier to teach them things (generally - of course there are exceptions to all breeds).

So, I would like to know.....generally, is your breed (s) of choice fairly easy to train? Or is it more difficult, and why?

• Gold Top Dog

Obedience and tricks are very easy for Apollo to pick up; he really likes to learn new things, and he LOVES getting rewarded.

• Gold Top Dog

Gunnar the Vizsla has always been very easy to train. He picks up things very quickly and does not need much reinforcement. His only weakness has been on leash heel, due to his hunting instincts he tends to always need a lot of work to keep him walking correctly on leash.

Hektor the Dogo is a little more difficult. He learns basic things pretty quick but needs constant reinforcement but he is much easier teaching on leash off leash heel. Mind you his execution of commands is satisfactory to me but would not win him any obedience competitions. He is a slow mover and his heel is not military style like you see with a lot of border collies.

• Gold Top Dog

Ok I have had 3 Irish Setters now counting Lillie. The other 2 setters I had could have cared less about doing anything but sitting to get a treat and if no treat was involved no way was they gonna do anything for me. Lillie on the other hand loves to make me happy and will do any trick I ask her to. BUT her recall is not solid. If it's just me and her she will listen to me.I have to leash her when taking Cheyanne out with us because she wont "come" to me and runs around like an idiot.

So like it says everywhere I have read when it comes to Irish Setters recall needs to be taught early and always a main thing to practice.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, Kenya practically trains herself.  With a few exceptions, the other GSDs I know or have worked with have been very easy to train, mostly because they have such a close bond with people and are very attentive to the handler. 

• Gold Top Dog

My aussies are soooooo easy to train it's wonderful. I love love love how easy they are. All they want out of life is to make you happy and work for you.

My husky otoh was very hard to train. Huskies in general are an independent breed and will only obey if they know that there is something in it for them. To top that off, they are very driven to run, run, and run some more so that is always on their minds.  They get bored quickly which also makes training a challenge. This is why I love the aussies - they are a breeze to train compared to a husky. They love to learn. Dakota loves to learn if there is food involved. Otherwise, forget it.

• Gold Top Dog

It's one of the reason I got an Aussie. God bless Luna, she can't get enough of learning and picks things up quickly. She does have a strong independent streak, but that is not the hardest to work with, just requires me to think outside the box a bit more.

• Gold Top Dog

Chyna the Boxer, was easy to train although I did have to reinforce things quiet frequently.

Bevo the Doberman, had issues as a pup, but as soon as we worked through those, he was SUPER EASY to train.  He's whip smart, & very willing to learn.

Brinxx the mutt, was easy to train once I figured out how to get her to focus.

Shooter, & Schatzi the Dachshunds, were not easy to train in the least.  They both have a "what's in it for me attitude" & if given the opportunity they will continuiously push boundaries.  Our house is a very strick NILF house because of the Shooter & Schatzi.

• Gold Top Dog

I believe my favored breed, the APBT is of average capability to train BUT has GOT to be one of the top breeds that wants to please their owner more then anything. Compared to some other breeds I have noticed the recognition upon the APBT of when they get it right. They beam when they are told they got it right, its truly amazing.

However( lol the downside), they are easily distracted even after they learn a command. A lot of times APBT will think their dog has impeccable recall or commands and then they get them out in public and it all goes out the window, LOL.

I'd also say compared to other extremely smart breeds like BC's, aussies and such they probably take a bit longer to catch on.

• Gold Top Dog

I have to say that of all my dogs I find the BCs the most difficult.  They pick up the basics with no problem, but you've got to be very consistent and they get odd notions.

It took me forever to teach Gus to "go to your bed".  Then I realized that he thought that when I pointed outward and said, "Go to bed" I meant come under where my hand was pointing and sit and wait for his treat.  Because I had naturally started, as usual, with pointing right next to his bed.

Cord never did learn "lie down."  He thought the only time he should lie down on command was on sheep.

Ben thinks he can only eat if I say, "okay" in an exact tone of voice.  God forbid I should have laryngitis that day or something.

Ted won't take food from your hand.  I found out it happened when he was five weeks old.  Before I got him.  His breeder was having trouble with possessiveness over food with him, and used the trick of teaching him to only take food on command.  She would offer him food, then close her hand if he grabbed for it.  He's so sensitive to what you want, that he got the idea that taking food from hands was a no-no.  It doesn't matter how wonderful it is or how hungry he is, he will not take any tidbit from anyone's hand.

This is why about 50% of the Border Collies that come into rescue, get some fantasy story about being "beaten" attached to them - they get weird notions.

Compared to the BCs, Zhi, Lynn and Maggie are so cut and dried.  Insert treat, output behavior. 

• Gold Top Dog

AuroraLove

I believe my favored breed, the APBT is of average capability to train BUT has GOT to be one of the top breeds that wants to please their owner more then anything.

I just heard that last night on the Michael Vick special.  It's something I didn't know about them before.  It's a d@mn shame that trait is exploited with these dogs.  Crying

Yes, I LOVE how easily trained my boys are.  Problem with Woobie is that his fear issues make it much more difficult outside of the house.  But he picks things up incredibly fast inside the house where he is comfortable.  This is beginning to take place at the SPCA also because we've taken so many classes there and he's getting pretty confident in that setting.  Just wish it translated to other places more quickly.

Indie is just a dream.  I can't begin to tell you how happy this makes me after dealing with an airedale terrier for 10 years!  I truly loved my Rush, but good lord that dog was hard headed!  He'd do a new behavior once, maybe twice if you were lucky.  After that it was like he was saying "You know, I did that back in '97.  I don't see the need to repeat myself."  Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Zoe, my dachshund, super easy to train as long as food is involved.  She learned how to sit, come and spin in a circle in less than 5 repetitions.  The problem with her is more self-control related.  If misbehaving gets her what she wants (food of course!)  she will be a persistant little bugger.

Zack, my manchester terrier, seems to catch on a little more slowly than Zoe.  But...he has a lot more self control and patience.

• Gold Top Dog
    Papillons are very easy to train FOR ME. They're one of the most intelligent breeds, known for being easily trained, yet many people, even the professional trainers we've used cannot train them. The first obedience trainer we went to could never get Beau to 'lie down'. This is a breed that is so smart, any inconsistencies will be picked up on. They remember everything. They're also very intuitive and I find very easy to shape because of that. One thing doesn't work and they'll start putting two and two together and figure it out. They're great problem solvers. They are also a very sensitive breed. I have literally never seen one so sensitive. If they think they messed up or you are unhappy, they'll just wilt and you'll have a hard time getting them to do anything else until they're sure they've made it up to you. They don't need much motivation, just praise and the joy of learning though they don't mind treats of course. ;) I find them a joy to work with and the easiest breed I've had to train, but other people seem to get frustrated with them.
    • Gold Top Dog

Both of my girls are in the "impossible" category. Almost nobody competes with PRT or Cresteds. I've seen one Crested at an obedience trial, and he was in rally novice (all on leash). I've seen one PRT in rally advanced (off leash) and he left the ring both days. They are both breeds that were bred to work independantly of humans. Both are very prey driven. Both are very food motivated, and have figured out that I'm the one who feeds them. I don't have any problems with them, really. Emma has three rally titles, her CGC, and is trained through the CD, but hasn't competed in that ring, yet. Ena knows sit, wait, heel, front, side (which is a left finish), come when called, kennel, stand, and get your toy. She's seven months old, tomorrow.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Bugsy is easy to train - initially - then once he knows what the payout is he will contemplate whether doing the learned behavior is worth it.  He does learn instantly though - do it more than a few times in a row and you can see the "yea I got that what's next or I'm off to do something more interesting"