LGB Dog Aggression

• Silver

LGB Dog Aggression

Ok, every week in Toronto Sun, a pet trainer has a column in which concerned pet owners can write in and ask for advice.  Think of it as a "Dear Abby" for pet lovers.

Normally I don't become enraged with the letters, as you can tell some people are new to the pet ownership game and are genuinely looking for some advice, but today's letter really stumped me.. shocked me.. and angered me!Angry 

The letter goes as follows:

" We have a five year-old female Anatolian Shepherd named XX.  I got her as a 12-week old puppy and was told this breed was non-aggressive, protective of her flock (which would be children in the home if she is not on a farm), low maintenance etc.  She sounded perfect to me as a mother of four children.

Three years ago she attacked a neighbour's dog.  In the spring of 2007 she attacked my boyfriend's Cockapoo, who required stitches.  In the summer of 2007 she made a growl and bit at (not actually touching her) a 3-year old girl who was visiting our home.  In the fall of 2007 she escaped from the house, ran into the street and attacked a small dog that was being walked by an older man, resulting in stitches.  In July of this year our gate was not latched, XX nosed it open and attacked our neighbour's dog.  This attack was vicious.  He was totally submissive, yet she kept biting.  He had 10 punctures and nearly lost his tail.  Two weeks ago she again bit my boyfriend's dog.  When XX goes after an animal she will stop at nothing and could easily hurt anyone who gets in her way.  I am now looking for a home for her.  The only other option is to have her put down.  I contacted an Anatolian rescue society, but have not received a reply."

Is it just me, or is this dog owner completely missing the whole point about responsible dog ownership?  They did no research on the Anatolian breed, because if they did, they would have found out that a LGB needs to work, can and does frequently have dominant traits and is not low maintenance.  By the sounds of the letter, the dog does not receive proper amounts of training/exercise etc..  This person simply took the advice they were given, and decided to look for no further information.Huh?

Why would they wait to take action until after the dog has attacked for the 6th time????  Alarm bells should have gone off after the first!  In Ontario, we have banned Pitbulls out of fear.  Yet, dog owners like the above, are the ones posing a greater risk!  Assuming that the writer is from Ontario, there is  Dangerous Dog Legislation in place which states:

"Expanded Part IX Proceedings: It is now possible to commence Part IX proceedings where it is alleged that:

•  A dog has bitten or attacked

• The dog has behaved in a manner that poses a menace to the safety of persons or domestic animals

• An owner did not exercise reasonable precautions to prevent a dog from biting or attacking or posing a menace to the safety of persons or domestic animals

• An existing order has been breached. "    The Dog Owners Liability Act goes on to further state:

• Part IX Orders: In Part IX proceedings arising after August 29, 2005, the existing legislation and amendments will provide that if a court finds that a dog has bitten or attacked a person or domestic animal or that the dog's behaviour constitutes a menace to the safety of persons or domestic animals, the court may make the following orders if satisfied that they are necessary for protection of the public:
    • Destruction order
    •  Order that dog owner take specified control measures

• Order prohibiting further dog ownership for a specified period of time.

• Control Measures: The existing legislation and amendments provide some examples of the sort of Part IX orders that the courts may make in cases arising after August 29, 2005.
      Examples include:
    •  Confinement of dog to owner's property

• Restraint of dog by leash and/or muzzle

• Posting of warning signs.

• Mandatory Sterilization: Any dog subject to a Part IX Order (other than a destruction order) must be spayed or neutered within 30 days of the order or within a different period of time, if the court specifies one.
    • Expanded Offence Proceedings: It is an offence to contravene any provision of the DOLA or the regulations or any order made under the DOLA or regulations.

Specific offences will include:

• Failing to exercise reasonable precautions to prevent a dog from biting or attacking a person or domestic animal.

• Failing to exercise reasonable precautions to prevent a dog from behaving in a manner that poses a menace to the safety of persons or domestic animals.

• Penalties for Offences: Penalties in DOLA offence proceedings will be as follows:
    • $10,000 fine ($60,000 for corporations); and/or

• Six months imprisonment; and/or

• In addition to any other penalties, the court will be able to make restitution orders requiring convicted persons to make compensation or restitution to victims.

This dog owner, if they live in Ontario, is very luck that they weren't reported to animal control; as I feel XX would have been taken away a long time ago.   I wanted to post this to partially rant (my apologies...Embarrassed) but to also point out again, that it's people like this, who take no responsibility for their dog, then when their lack of knowledge and training goes awry, they pass the dog off to a rescue, so that they can now deal with this dog;  and who here feels that this dogs actually has a fighting chance of being rescued?  XX did no wrong, she was just doing what came naturally, and because her owner never took full responsibility of the situation, now XX is the only one who has something loose.  Thankfully no people or children were seriously mauled, and that no animals subcomed to the attacks.

I know there's a few members on here who have LGB, and I'm curious to hear their comments...

Ashley

• Gold Top Dog
    That is a sad story for both dog and people. The owners didnt know the dog would be that protective or thier family and the dog was just doing what it was bred to do. The gaurding and bitng sounds like normal LGD behavior but terrible for a pet dog. I agree that they should have done their research when getting a dog of that breed. I know anatolians who are okay with guests on their farm but I would never expect one to act like a golden retreiver which is what it sounds like these owners expected. They wanted a dog would gaurd their children and yet accept strangers and strange dogs perfectly.

You are right these breeds need ALOT of work to be acceptable pets because to get them to accept everyone and ever dog they meet would be going agaisnt their instinct. It is do-able but I think would require more experience then the dogs owners had originally expected. It irks me when people do not research a breed.

• Gold Top Dog

And, it also irks me when irresponsible breeders place dogs like this in "pet families" with kids.  The only reason I got my Aussie was that I am a trainer, and, not only could I manage my dog, I could find a suitable job for her.  Seldom does my breeder place a dog with anyone who does not plan to do herding trials or use the dog for farm work.  Good policy in the case of LGB's and a lot of the old style herders, too, as some of them are guard-y as well.

• Gold Top Dog

If you do your research and get a LGD from the right lines, PLUS do your homework and train and socialize the dog correctly, you can integrate such dogs quite nicely into society.  Just like herding dogs, not all LGDs are equal.  ASs are one of the more reactive/aggressive breeds. 

Sidebar:  It's odd to me that some of the breeds that are like that are the ones that right now are being AKC shown and bred as companion-only dogs.  Kuvazs, Anatolian, Akbash, Komondor - these breeds are just about the last ones I'd pick as being household-friendly.  Just kind of an aside there.

Anyway, yes, your impression is correct - it wasn't just the owner, but they got fleeced by an irresponsible breeder, too.  I don't know what people are thinking. 

I almost didn't open this thread, by the way, because I didn't know what a  "LGB" was.  I've always heard livestock guardian dog but then my experience is limited to the working world. 

• Silver

brookcove

I almost didn't open this thread, by the way, because I didn't know what a  "LGB" was.  I've always heard livestock guardian dog but then my experience is limited to the working world. 

I was actually stumped as to what I was going to put in the thread title... I've heard of many different terms to describe these breeds, and Livestock Guardian Dog/Breed I had hoped everyone would be able to understand...Big Smile  Sorry if there was any confusion...

Yes, I agree too that the breeder was/is equally at fault.  I personally feel that this breed choice was wrong for this particular family, and the breeder, if they were responsible in the placement of their puppies, should have ensured that this home would have been able to handle such a powerhouse breed.

Ashley