Breeds and teeth?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Breeds and teeth?

Just curious if some breeds are known to have larger teeth, whiter, less healthy etc.

I know that some small breeds are more prone to dental problems but is there a breed correlation?

I am very curious about tooth size or length as Bugsy's teeth are larger than the goldens or labs we know - may be it can help me with his breed ID's

• Gold Top Dog

That's funny, I've always wondered about teeth and breeds too, cause Cherokee has a very distinctive set of chompers. But I never knew exactly how to ask. Hers incisors are really interesting...they're kind of ridged for one thing, and the two middle bottom ones are shorter than all the rest, which fit her top ones perfectly. I think they're really unique, so I really wonder if it's a breed thing. But maybe it's not even unique..maybe just among the dogs I know, which isn't many.

I know (most?) boxers have creepy crooked teeth, lol. They point every which way but up, I swear. I grew up around boxers, and pretty much only boxers, so I didn't know any dogs had straight teeth.. Imagine my surprise when I got Cherokee and she had these perfect straight teeth! Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

I know the chow has an more teeth than other breeds in their first set of teeth.  And, I believe the teeth themselves are smaller in the front--not positive but I've read that due to the way they were originally fed less meat in China and lived more on grains that their teeth did not evolve like other dogs. 

• Gold Top Dog

An all breed judge would probably be the *best* person to ask... There is definitely a distinctive difference in breeds' bites. Chinese Cresteds actually have two seperate mouths. The Puffs have a regular dog mouth, with a level bite, and they must have all of their teeth. The hairless can have a level or scissors bite, and it is very, very common for teeth to be missing. Their canines look like tusks. They're straight, and point slightly forward.  PRT are supposed to have a scissors bite. Level is actually a fault.

• Gold Top Dog

Dobies have a true scissor bite.  They have 42 teeth.  22 in the lower jaw, 20 in the upper.  Nice, big, sparkly white teeth.

Boxers have screw-y mouths.  They have undershot jaws, & general crooked teeth.  At least in my experience.

Dachshunds also have a scissor bite.  All of the doxies that I know have terrible mouths.  They are very tough to keep clean.  So far, Shooter & Schatzi have had two cleanings each.  They are only 2 years old...

• Gold Top Dog

PRT are supposed to have a scissor bite, but Emma's is level.  Her teeth are loverly, though. They have big teeth, for their size. They're made to sink into prey.

Doxie teeth are truly terrible, Amanda. Is feeding prey model making a difference, in yours? 

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

Doxie teeth are truly terrible, Amanda. Is feeding prey model making a difference, in yours? 

We had them cleaned right before we started prey modeling.  We are about 6 months in, & they have some tartar but not as bad as before.  I have no doubt that they will need frequent cleanings, but I'm hopeful that the diet will help some.

• Gold Top Dog

I know the Scotty standard mentions their "Large" teeth...and most Dachs I know seem to have BIG OLE fangs for their size,....Greyhounds muzzles are so slender sometimes theirs kinda hang out LOL.

Now I know genetics plays a role and two dogs of the same breed can have the same care and diet and one's will gather tartar and dirty a lot easier. Just like some people tend to have yellowy teeth and others naturally white..

I have heard water can make a difference.

The hairless breeds are notorious for tooth issues, now I think on it.

• Gold Top Dog

I was looking at Abbies adult teeth last night and wondering if the size of her teeth would tell me how big she will be full grown. Her adult teeth seem smaller than Neiko and Lily's.

Anyway, yes - each breed has a dinstinctive bite.

• Bronze

I have to agree having had both small and large breeds, that the small breeds, especially dachshund mixes seemed more prone to dental disease. I had one little terrier who had to have all his teeth removed at the age of 11! Then he had to have just soft foods for the remainder of his life.

In contrast, our aging lab mix has nice white teeth, although there is some tartar evident.

• Silver

Our male Airedale that we had, used to have some of the biggest chompers that I had ever seen!  Even our vet was amazed at the size and how much of a scissor bite that he had.  All of our other Airedales had strong, healthy teeth (horrible breath!), and I tend to find that a lot of Terriers share that same trait (Fox Terriers, Lakelands, Bull Terriers, AmStaffs, Scotties etc.).  On the other hand, our Danes had a correct scissor bite, but the teeth weren't anywhere near in size to our Airedales.  I really do think it's a Terrier thing..Stick out tongue

• Gold Top Dog
    The biggest set of teeth I have ever seen on a dog belonged to my sisters Weimeraner. That dog has FANGS! lol Maybe size has something to do with if the dog was bred to use his teeth for his job like some hunting dogs. My mom thinks Im crazy when I brush my boys teeth.
    • Gold Top Dog

Most vets say that Yorkies have terrible teeth, and I believe it.  Fergie, who I adopted at age 11, only has two teeth left.  She's now 19, but she's been missing the teeth for a few years now.

Aussies have a nice scissors bite.  Very pretty when you get that "Aussie smile". 

• Gold Top Dog

BannedBreed Lover

Our male Airedale that we had, used to have some of the biggest chompers that I had ever seen!  Even our vet was amazed at the size and how much of a scissor bite that he had.  All of our other Airedales had strong, healthy teeth (horrible breath!), and I tend to find that a lot of Terriers share that same trait (Fox Terriers, Lakelands, Bull Terriers, AmStaffs, Scotties etc.).  On the other hand, our Danes had a correct scissor bite, but the teeth weren't anywhere near in size to our Airedales.  I really do think it's a Terrier thing..Stick out tongue

Lex has huge teeth! He is by far the biggest toothed(is that even a word?) dog I have ever owned. And his breath stinks too lol!

• Gold Top Dog

My manchester terrier has the biggest tooth:head size ratio I've ever seen in a dog.  His teeth are so big that they don't all fit in his mouth and his fangs are visible when he mouth is totally closed!  They are twice the size of Zoe's and he only weighs 2 lbs more (with most of the weight from his legs, lol)

I can also attest to doxies having horrible mouths.  Zoe would need professional cleanings every 6 months if I did not brush her teeth nightly.  And yes, they have to be done nighly as she will get an infection.