What Breeds are my dog?

• Bronze

What Breeds are my dog?

My dog Maggie is a rescue pet found in a garbage bag in a dumpster. I am highly curious as to what breeds she can be. I have heard everything form Rhodesian ridgeback, to pit bull, to beagle. Can anyone give suggestions?

The last is her normal coat color before being shaved (she sheds a decent amount). When not shaved the line down her back is almost black and very coarse  compared to the rest of her fur.

• Silver

At first, just looking at Maggie's head, I thought she was part Jack Russell; but then looking at her body structure, she has a muscular build like a Pitbull, but there is something almost Pointer like about the side profile of her.  Whatever her mix, she's really cute.

You never mentioned her weight, and you also mentioned that she gets shaved.  Does she have longer hair?

• Bronze

Maggie is about 50 lbs. she doesn't have long hair, its short and thicker, she just sheds when she isn't shaved ^.^ 

• Gold Top Dog

I have a MAggie too.  We got her as a pup at a flea market.  I am not making that up.  Big Smile

The coloring is very typical of "yellow" dogs with the gene for sable.  Sable can be expressed in the most subtle way - with black tips on the hair in only a few places (my Maggie is a red sable, which is really weird).

The head reminds me of a bird dog.  Pointer of some kind, possibly.  Crazy as it sounds, because of the size, I know.  But it would also explain the color and erect tail carriage.  A Dalmation would also provide the right look there.

I'm thinking Dachshund and JRT for the rest.  You've got to have something in there with shorter, more erect ears, so it can't  be just Dachshund.  It could be anything, really, but JRT would provide the right size, ear set, and just something about that look and stance - lol.

• Bronze

When she was a pup, she reminded me of her fellow housemate who is a JRT. I was leaning towards that until more of her demeanor  showed. Maggie is EXTREMELY laid back. she hardly ever gets excited. I ma currently going through my many pics of Maggie to find her puppy pics. I will post them as soon as they are uploaded.

Puppy Pics:

• Gold Top Dog

BannedBreed Lover

At first, just looking at Maggie's head, I thought she was part Jack Russell; but then looking at her body structure, she has a muscular build like a Pitbull, but there is something almost Pointer like about the side profile of her.  Whatever her mix, she's really cute.

You never mentioned her weight, and you also mentioned that she gets shaved.  Does she have longer hair?

So did I.  Something about her body reminds me of a colored Bull Terrier.  I agree, she's really cute, whatever she is.

• Gold Top Dog

i highly doubt she is a mix of two pure breds. seeing as how bully types are beyond popular i would have to say if there is a pure bred parent it would have to be a bull type. MAYBE RR....

the three types i see most are hound, bull, Ridgeback, ... and after that maybe german shepherdXdoberman, with labrador.

yeah thats the mix i believe. which translates into a generation of mutts lol which goes back to my first statement. i doubt she had a pure bred parent.

• Gold Top Dog

Gosh what a toughie! She differs from pic to pic but she is so darn cute!

Found in a dumspter? What is wrong with people?

• Gold Top Dog

Hopefully Bonita will be along to give you her opinion on the RR guess.  I see boxer in that face but I'm not very good at this game.  Big Smile  Bless you for saving her, poor dear.  Who would throw that cutie in a dumpster?????  Hope there's a special chamber in hell reserved for them!

• Gold Top Dog

i have a black lab mix named max, but i dont know how to post the picture in the forum to show people what he look like.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't really have a guess...i agree with the probably some time of bully mix. She looks too short and stocky to be a ridgeback.

• Bronze

I would like to add that her other litter-mates found in the trash bag have grown to about the size of a RR. the only exceptions were her and the one other female. the others were also colored as a RR or German Shepard. Maggie was the only on out of the bunch to have more than one color. sick thing is they were found a block away from an animal shelter.

• Gold Top Dog

Before I say anything "profound"   here is a recent rescue   RR X beagle cross   named Peanut Butter

This was a person's answer to an Apartment sized RR ..... Cute as Heck and if Rescue hadn't asked us to get her I would have kept herin a heart beat, could have SOLD her 50 xs if I was unethical.  What a sweetheart, My husband kept saying she is spoken for RIGHT we aren't taking her home RIGHT !!  Noooooo...I was just buying her collars and leashes and toys and treats  Dang she was soooo cute!!  I would have kept her forever if I could have shook my Ethics !!

Folks cross RRS for a million reasons they need a tougher dog , a better Pig Dog or Deer dog , something that will fight beyond a fight, orrrr they want a houndy dog that will be cute and sweet and cuddly yet still atheletic , Peanut Butter was all of these and more.... well not a big time figthing dawg.... Wink

I can "see" RR in the head piece of your fur kid. The over all body shape is rather like the dalmation which is wheer they stole our standard when the RR first came from Africa to the US.... obviously there is more, but the suggestion of a heavier coat on the spine is not brain surgery to see a realtionship to my darling breed . Often instead of the reverse coat for the ridge you will often find like a Buckskin horse a color difference...

When we get a Slick back or Ridgeless Ridgeback , they aren't marked by a different color unless there are other breeds involved.  Smile

Sooooooo can I see RR in your Baby

Bonita of Bwana

• Bronze

Thank the detailed response. Peanut Butter is soooooo darling ^.^ the head piece is what our vet was going by when he suggested it. he said she had trademark Rhodesian wrinkles. that is in the same breath he mentioned pit bull for the body. My husband and I believe someone was wanting to cross breed a fighting dog, and something didnt go right, so the literally pitched them. i think the vet also thought RR because when she got in there she was a bit scared and her hackles were all the way up. hers gos for the nape of her neck all the way to her tail. the darkened part is the only area raised. she is the sweetest thing though, no matter what the mix. i couldnt ask for a better dog with my two children. they pull on her chase her and sometimes get downright rough with her. Maggie just sits there and wags her tail the whole time. If I could figure out her breeds i would definitely recommend a mix like her. She listens EXTREMELY well and always look for permission before doing anything shes unsure of being right. the only thing we have with her is she gets a tad bit of separation anxiety. Maggie likes to chew when left to her own devices.

• Gold Top Dog

katklich
    My husband and I believe someone was wanting to cross breed a fighting dog, and something didnt go right, so the literally pitched them

I have heard people wanting to cross pits/RRs for fighting...