Golden or Lab kennel recommendations....

• Gold Top Dog

Golden or Lab kennel recommendations....

For an acquaintance, does anyone have any good Golden or Lab kennel recommendations?  I am not familiar enough with these breeds.  I only know of one Golden kennel I could recommend based on first hand experience.

• Gold Top Dog

Ledgehill Labs in Lebanon, Maine.  Great temperaments on her pups, and she raises them right.  Litter scheduled for November. 

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks!  I think she is looking for a pup about that time. 

• Gold Top Dog

Paige is relatively new to breeding, but she shows her dogs and competes in agility, plus pays a lot of attention to the health and temperament.  She raises the pups right, with new experiences all the time right up until they go home, and she has been very supportive of the new owners, too.
    I've met quite a few of the pups, and of course I know Ellie, and I find them to be quite lovely - almost lovely enough to make this Aussie lover want a Lab.  Don't be surprised if she interviews a prospective owner thoroughly.  Only thing is, I don't know if she will ship or not.   

• Gold Top Dog

The family is in Maryland so maybe that's not too far for them.  The only kennel for either breed I could personally recommend is Malagold, as I know several of the dogs personally and the breeder titles in conformation as well as agility and rally and does OFAs, but that's here in Michigan and too far.  Since they are popular breeds, hopefully there are reputable kennels in the PA/VA/lower New England area.... 

She is trying to join here (waiting to be approved....?) so hopefully she can give more info on what her family is looking for. 

• Gold Top Dog

For labs, Carrie Eberhard (LegaSea, down here in Dallas) has a litter due soon that I *think* still has some pet spaces on her waiting list. I *adore* her dogs- and I am not a lab person. She has conformation dogs that can HUNT.

For goldens, Summit Golden Retrievers is up in WI (they're a member of the same kennel club as Xeph, although I didn't find them through her but through a local person who used one of their stud dogs) and I've worked with one of their pet dogs as a client and he's a gem- everything a golden ought to be, temperament, health, and conformation.      

• Gold Top Dog

Great Lakes Golden Retriever Rescue is in Michigan

and Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue is in Elverta CA

HB is a GREAT rescue, I volunteer with them so if you have any questions please do  not hesitate to ask.

• Gold Top Dog

http://www.goldheart.org/adopting/available.cfm - We get puppies or very young dogs from time to time.

I'm in Maryland. I'll ask around to friends and see if I can come up with any good breeders. Unfortunately, there are tons of really bad ones around here.

• Gold Top Dog

SalemsMom

I'm in Maryland. I'll ask around to friends and see if I can come up with any good breeders. Unfortunately, there are tons of really bad ones around here.

A list of who to avoid might be helpful too! 

• Gold Top Dog
    I'm biased, but I am really a fan of field bred labs, though they can be quite the energetic dogs (I know ours was). There are some nice kennels out there producing versatile middle ground type labs as well. Sorry, I don't have any actual kennel names on me.
    • Gold Top Dog

Are they looking for a family pet? Or a dog to work? IMO, English Labs are terrific family pets, mainly because they don't have the extreme energy of a Field Lab, but still are energetic, and are a bit easier to handle for the first time owner. Field Labs, IMO, make great hunting, working dogs, they love to be on the go, outdoors, all day everyday. But, if they find a good breeder (which is tough when looking into Labs and Goldens because there's so many bad breeders) they really can't go wrong. Just let them know to be prepared to play, play, play!

I owned an English Lab for 13 years...and Apollo is much like a Field. There's a BIG difference.

• Gold Top Dog

Probably a bench lab as opposed to a field lab, but it doesn't have to look like a bench lab. 

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

...  Since they are popular breeds, hopefully there are reputable kennels in the PA/VA/lower New England area.... 

I'd be careful with breeders in PA.  I know there are some good ones, but the majority of the ones I came up with when I was looking reeked of puppymill or broker.  Sad  There are some good breeders I know from Lab forums in south NJ, and one not to far from me in northwest NJ.  Goldens- my sister got a really nice one from a breeder in Jutland Vermont.  I can ask her for contact info if you're friend is interested in going that far.  Also, would they consider a rescue?  I know of one out by Pittsburgh. I was going to recommend breeder and a rescue in Michigan, too, then saw what you said about it being too far.

• Gold Top Dog
    Profile Goldens

I don't see on their website where they say they are breeders but they are and have a very good reputation. The link provided is to a page on their site that shows their dogs and achievements, not puppies. I don't think they have puppies all the time. I live in the area and am familiar with their reputation.

Our first Golden came from a breeder in Newbury MA, our current two came from a breeder in Dade City Florida.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh, totaly forgot the Lab breeder I was going to recommend in Michigan has a great website with breeder listings.  I'd trust anyone on her list.  Unfortunately, Laura had to have one of her seniors pts the other day, so, in tribute to her, the site will be black for the next couple of weeks.

http://www.kelrobin.com/