Breed advice please

• Gold Top Dog

Check out the mini Aussies - neat little dogs and the well breed ones are really just small Aussies. I see them quite often at agility trials now and they have really grown on me.

http://www.namascusa.com/

• Gold Top Dog

snownose

oranges81

What would I look for in a breeder of working GSDs?

Careful, when considering a GSD.......many folks love the idea, and when confronted with the situation of puppyhood, all that nasty and destructive behavior, then later on the high drive.........many regret getting this type of dog.

My high drive GSD was not a destructive puppy (only ever chewed two things - the back of my shoes and the edge of the deck steps) and is not at all hard to live with. A well bred working GSD should have a balanced temperament and not be bouncing off the walls 24/7. Many people confuse "hyper" with high drive - just because a dog is crazy active doesn't mean they are high drive and just because a dog is high drive doesn't mean they will be crazy active.

That said, not everyone needs or really wants a GSD. They shed like crazy, they have serious guarding instinct and they need a confident owner to properly train and socialize them. They do need exercise and training and that doesn't matter if you have a high drive working GSD from a good breeder or a rescue GSD from the pound. As a breed they do best with someone who wants an active pet - one that they "do stuff" with instead of one that just lays around the house. When looking for a working line GSD, ideally the dogs will be bred to SV standards meaning the parents both have working titles (SchH or HGH herding), hip ratings from Germany and a conformation rating. These things ensure that the dogs being bred have the proper GSD temperament and structure.

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD

My high drive GSD was not a destructive puppy (only ever chewed two things - the back of my shoes and the edge of the deck steps) and is not at all hard to live with. A well bred working GSD should have a balanced temperament and not be bouncing off the walls 24/7. Many people confuse "hyper" with high drive - just because a dog is crazy active doesn't mean they are high drive and just because a dog is high drive doesn't mean they will be crazy active.

Yeppers, I can't get Kenya excited about anything in the house no matter how hard I try, but in training and on the field she is a sparkplug! Crazy bursts of energy and drive.  It took a while to turn that into the right intensity and focus, but now that we've finally connected we are training REALLY hard these days and I regret more and more we won't do bitework b/c we are joining a SchH club and going for the BH.  The working GSD should NOT be so high strung they can't settle in the house.  On the contrary, they often make great house dogs b/c if their smarts and drives are utilized with training and exercise, they have the right outlet for that energy and make great house pets.  A GSD without an on/off switch is not a good example of the breed.

If you look at working line breeders, they will ask you what you plan to do with the dog and since you won't be doing SchH or ring sports, they would match you with a dog that has less drive. 

You could also look for "green" dogs from working or show line breeders - these are young dogs that haven't really been trained beyond basic obedience and manners.  Often breeders hold back pups and find out the pup is not turning out as they wanted so they are offered to pet homes. 

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

oranges81

What would I look for in a breeder of working GSDs?

Where do you live? 

I live near Vancouver BC. But to find the right dog for me, I'd be willing to travel. Lol. Gives me an excuse for a road trip! Big Smile

Wow. That's a lot of things to look for.

Overall I do like the GSD and I do want one in the future. So I'm going to add the breed to my list of dogs to research Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD

Check out the mini Aussies - neat little dogs and the well breed ones are really just small Aussies. I see them quite often at agility trials now and they have really grown on me.

http://www.namascusa.com/

I think if I am getting an Aussie, I'd rather a full sized one.. Thanks for link thou. I'll check it out Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

westiegirl3

I know I am biased, but Westies (West Highland White Terriers) are great little dogs.  They are active and love to go for as long as you like, but love to be with you and love to snuggle with you whenever you like.  They are smart little dogs and are easy to train and are eager to please.  They are such spunky little dogs and make you laugh.  Sometimes, I think they can read my mind and know just exactly when I need some extra loving.  I have four dogs (three Westies and a Golden) and a cat, so they do get along with other animals.  They do like to go after the squirrels, though.  It is one of their favorite activities lol.  They need to be brushed a couple times a week.  They are great little dogs and would be worth looking into. 

I never even thought of a Westie! Shame on me cuz I know a family that has one! For sure I'm going to look in to that breed as well! 

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD

Based on this statement I am assuming that  this is the only GSD you have ever owned? Correct me if I am wrong.........most GSDs run on high octane when young.....Rumour is 8 years old and when he was young he suffered from SA, he overcame that and his hyper ways....he is a super good dog now.....I grew up with this breed, I have been around this breed for 30 plus years.......and I am not kidding when I say it takes these dogs a few years to calm down.......

Truley is another person with a young GSD who has shared this experience.....

• Gold Top Dog

snownose

and I am not kidding when I say it takes these dogs a few years to calm down.......

So they are like Lab's in that sense? I'm used to that. I've owned Lab's all my life.  

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81
    So they are like Lab's in that sense?

I don't think so, but i'm only on my first GSD. We had a lab when i was younger...she was more into destroying stuff. Kaiser is still just really energetic. He is so well behaved, but needs to get out and RUN, and run a lot everyday. He has never been destructive, but paces and cries if he's cooped up. Most labs i've seen have been pretty happy to chill out. Not so much with a GSD, haha. Kaiser is 3 and has shown no signs of slowing down.

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81

snownose

and I am not kidding when I say it takes these dogs a few years to calm down.......

So they are like Lab's in that sense? I'm used to that. I've owned Lab's all my life.  

They are kinda the same size, so yeah.  GSDs take about 2 years to fully mature, both physically and mentally.  If you are thinking of doing agility and rally, you'd definitely want to do rally first and not start actual agility (full sized obstacles) until the dog is 1-1.5 yrs.  The destructiveness totally depends on the dog/lines/breeding  and also the training, socialization, and boundaries you've set for the dog though.  When they are adolescents they often go through a fear stage and/or a stage of being really annoying and trying to test all the boundaries!  If you are prepared for this and expect the energy level, then it can pass without incident.  I know plenty of people who don't have complaints about their GSD puppies and adolescents.

If you decide to seriously consider the breed, join the GSD board.  There are some of the best and most reputable working line breeders that post there daily (no, they do not advertise their own dogs). 

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81

Liesje

Where do you live? 

I live near Vancouver BC. But to find the right dog for me, I'd be willing to travel. Lol. Gives me an excuse for a road trip! Big Smile

I don't know many kennels in Canada or in the northwest, but if you're willing to travel, Heidi Theis is about 10 hrs from you, in Idaho, and I know if *I* lived within a day's drive of her, I'd definitely be checking out her kennel!  They are west German show line dogs, but hers also have a decent working ability and out of all the German show lines in the USA her stud Obi is one of the best as far as the protection test for Sieger shows goes.  I've heard from various people that she is really nice and follows up on her dogs.  She won't sell you a pup and then never answer your questions.  I like breeders that want relationships.

www.theishof.com

• Gold Top Dog

snownose
    Based on this statement I am assuming that  this is the only GSD you have ever owned? Correct me if I am wrong.........most GSDs run on high octane when young.....Rumour is 8 years old and when he was young he suffered from SA, he overcame that and his hyper ways....he is a super good dog now.....I grew up with this breed, I have been around this breed for 30 plus years.......and I am not kidding when I say it takes these dogs a few years to calm down

Nope not the only one I have had but the only one I would call high drive. As I said high drive and high activity level are not at all the same thing. None of mine have had SA, been overly hyper or destructive. My GSD friends don't have these problems with their dogs either. Jora is 10 1/2 and still has as much "GO!" as she did when she was younger. If you want to see for yourself:

Agility (sound is bad): http://youtube.com/watch?v=b978hwOAmJ8

It is funny you question my experience with high drive dogs, as they are almost all I have ever owned. My first purebred was a collie who had an great working temperament. People at training often remarked they loved him but "wouldn't want to live with him". He would retrieve or tug until he was exhausted and was very active when out and about. He was a great house dog though and spent most of his days just laying around. That is pretty much how my current dogs are as well. Belgians are known for being "high octane" dogs (I actually use that term when describing them to people) yet none of mine have been destructive, hyper or had SA. Our corgi is rather "hyper" (as in very easily overstimulated, very active) but even he is a great house dog and not destructive. One of my current boarder Belgians is a bit destructive when left alone but it is more due to her upbringing as she is just a year old and has mostly been a kennel dog or on the road with a handler. FWIW what I would not call her a high drive dog but she is quite active.

• Gold Top Dog

Nice agility video!  She IS fast!  Soo many GSDs look quite clumsy on the agility course.  Very nice :)  I'll have to show it to Kenya...  Wink

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD
    It is funny you question my experience with high drive dogs, as they are almost all I have ever owned.

That is why I said correct me if I am wrong.......eh

I have only had one dog with SA.....and it was hard to deal with, but we conquered........also, chewing up shoes and part of a deck is destructive behavior.......I currently have 4 dogs, 2 GSDs 1 Husky/Mal, 1 Husky/Chow, all are inside/outside dogs via doggie door ,and I can not claim that young GSDs are just lay around the house dogs......yes, when they get a few years under their belt......

Btw, I enjoyed the video.......

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

Nice agility video!  She IS fast!  Soo many GSDs look quite clumsy on the agility course.  Very nice :)  I'll have to show it to Kenya...  Wink

Thanks :) She is a good girl! A lot of people are surprised at how fast she is and even more so now that she is older. She LOVES agility! Really she loves doing anything! Here is a fun one of her and Jagger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxPP8jmQGW8

Snownose - she didn't chew up "part of the deck", just the very corners of a couple steps going into the yard that are at puppy eye level. And the shoes she chewed only pulled up the edge of the back - I still wear them for going out in the yard. I don't really count that stuff as being a destructive puppy at all. And of course ALL puppies should be supervised and confined when not being watched. A lot of owner's puppy problems is poor management. Most puppies will chew on stuff if left to their own devices, most puppies will be wild if not properly exercised or stimulated. That isn't breed specific and doesn't mean the puppy is a difficult puppy.