Breed advice please

• Gold Top Dog

Breed advice please

I'm looking in to getting an Aussie but I'm not to sure yet. Granted it won't be for a while but you can never have to much research! Lol.

I'm looking for a dog who's Velcro to a point and loves to work and easy to train (ei: picks up tricks and commands pretty quick).

I want an active dog as I'll be competing in agility and rally in the future. I need a breed that does well with other dogs and cats. I know it's a training thing as well.

Grooming is not a big thing with me.. I love sitting down and brushing a dog but I don't want a dog that needs A LOT of grooming each day... 

So any suggestions would be great! As well has a breed website so I can check it out some more. Smile Thanks!! 

• Gold Top Dog

Anyone?? *pouts* 

• Gold Top Dog
    I thought Toy Poodle as I was reading your post, but the grooming might be alittle more then you would want.

Chihuahua

Muttz

Labrador Retreiver

• Gold Top Dog

well when i think of velcro, intelligent, and athletic i always think of GSD and dobie. Aussies are really cool too though. 

• Gold Top Dog

Any size preferences?

Small...Schipperke?  Corgi?

Medium/large...pet quality working line German Shepherd (from a good beeder)?

• Gold Top Dog

Well, I'm partial to BCs of course, they're velcro and super smart and love to have work to do.  But I have a friend with 2 Aussies and they're great dogs.  Grooming doesn't seem to be a big chore, she has one that she shaves in the summer and the younger female has a thinner more whispy coat that doesn't seem to need it.  They are high energy and the young female is named Bunny because she's a bouncing freak!  LOL! 

• Gold Top Dog

You could have EmmaWink but I guarantee you'd send her back, LOL. She is active, super trainable, velcro, and a lot of fun to hang out with.  I *think* she's atypical for her breed, though, but I'm not sure (she's the only one I've had so.... you could ask Dasher's mom or Rose's mom... they have BUNCHES of PRTWink

I think an Aussie would fit the bill, perfectly, if you like their size and don't mind the coat. They're great dogs. Super smart, versatile, and beautiful. 

• Gold Top Dog

Size is no big deal for me. I've always wanted a small dog. Lol. (And I finally got BF to agree to a small dog when I'm finished fixing Wolf. Smile)

Chi's are highly active? All the ones I've seen are semi lazy.. Lol. I guess it depends on how you raise it.  

This may be a stupid question, but whats the difference between a show line GSD and a working line GSD? Besides shape. Lol.. 

• Gold Top Dog

You could always try a papillon if you don't mind a smaller dog.  They are velcro, easy to train, plenty active, and can do great as agility and rally dogs.  They are also easy to groom.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh! If I got a pappy I could play with ears all day! Smile

• Gold Top Dog

This may be a stupid question, but whats the difference between a show line GSD and a working line GSD?

Drive, temperament, and work ethic 

• Gold Top Dog

What would I look for in a breeder of working GSDs?

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81

Careful, when considering a GSD.......many folks love the idea, and when confronted with the situation of puppyhood, all that nasty and destructive behavior, then later on the high drive.........many regret getting this type of dog.

That is how I ended up with my oldest GSD, Luke (passed away last year).......he was a rescue, I introduced him into our home when he was one year old, and he was a total mess.

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81

Dogs should have working/sport titles (HGH, SchHIII, KNVP, IPO, etc) and have OFA, PennHIP, or German hip scores.  They may or may not have conformation titles and if they do, SG is sufficient.  KKL1 or KKL2 breed survey ratings are also desireable (many working lines will be KKL2).  You want a good breeder that will grill you for info and then select a puppy FOR you that meets your lifestyle.  Working line GSDs have good structure for being very active, and most litters have dogs that don't need to actually be doing police work or ring sport. 

Where do you live? 

• Gold Top Dog

I know I am biased, but Westies (West Highland White Terriers) are great little dogs.  They are active and love to go for as long as you like, but love to be with you and love to snuggle with you whenever you like.  They are smart little dogs and are easy to train and are eager to please.  They are such spunky little dogs and make you laugh.  Sometimes, I think they can read my mind and know just exactly when I need some extra loving.  I have four dogs (three Westies and a Golden) and a cat, so they do get along with other animals.  They do like to go after the squirrels, though.  It is one of their favorite activities lol.  They need to be brushed a couple times a week.  They are great little dogs and would be worth looking into.