Silken Windhounds

• Gold Top Dog

Silken Windhounds

Looking at a silken windhound to call my own.

Although I have researched and continue to do so, any personal experience with sighthounds would be awesome.

Also, what do you think about this breeder:

[url]www.allagantesilkens.com[/url]

• Gold Top Dog

Ohhhh, I love the SW's.  Just gorgeous.  I think whippets (not quite SW) are the most biddable of the sighthounds.  But you may not be able to trust your dog off leash in an area with things to chase.  Coursing is lots of fun for the pups and I'd love to do agility with a SW

• Gold Top Dog
    Yeah a Silken Windhound would be awesome at agility. lol Flying over all the obsticales. The breeder looks like a good one to me, but then I am not seasoned in that kind of things since none of my dogs have come from a breeder.
    • Gold Top Dog

If you're really wanting an accurate appraisal of the breeder, contact the breed club and speak to members, they will know more about what this breeder is and isn't contributing to the breed.  They can also let you know about breed events where you can go and meet dogs in this class, talk to owners and breeders and find out what living with one is like and see them in action for yourself.

Also, before adding a family member with a lifespan of 10-15 years, since you're 16, you should discuss what your future holds with your parents.  In all likelihood, it will be more their dog than yours if you plan on college, etc.  It's hard and more expensive to find housing that allows dogs and that should be considered as well when you move out on your own.  If your parents are on board and willing to have it be their dog when you leave home, then involve them in the breed research as well so they will know what is in their future as the primary owners of the dog.  Also find out what health issues are common in the breed and honestly assess whether you and your finances can handle it if any of these issues come up.  Even with the best, most careful breeders, things happen, make sure the finances are there to provide the best home possible for the dog before making it a part of your family.

FWIW, there are several sighthounds that frequent our dog park, several rescued greyhounds, borzois and whippets.  The energy levels of these dogs are very high and they must be provided with the opportunity to run off-lead and burn that off (or so I'm told by the owners).  Do you have a place where that can be done safely, such as a dog park or a large, fenced property?  These dogs also have thin skin which damages easily when they run at high speeds.  One of the greyhounds has had multiple surgeries because of grazing an object at high speed and ending up severing muscle fibers because of its thin skin.  Even wrestling and playing with its housemate has caused serious injuries.  One of the borzois took a chunk of one of the greyhounds at the dog park and resulted in hundreds of dollars in vet care.

All things to consider before adding a doggie family member. 

• Gold Top Dog

We did an Agility for Fun class with Pofi (who I think has some sighthound in his mix) and the only other dog in class was a SW.  She had fun with the class and the owner also tried to do lure coursing with her.  As SW are not a widely recognized breed yet (kennel club wise) competing is kennel club sponsored events is problematic (per this owner).  There are SW clubs, of course, and they do sponsor some events! 

This dog was very sweet and beautiful - a little shy and reasonably biddable.

BCmixs makes some good points about the challenges of owning sighthounds - they can be fragile and do need to have open space to run and because recall is not always as reliable as with some breed (especially if small furries are involved) access to well secured open space (fenced) is pretty important.  Prey drive will likely be high (a Chihuaha owner dropped out of our class because she did not like the way the SW was eyeing her little dog).  Pofi has caught and killed a number of squirrels - he's even caught them while on lead!  I work VERY hard to get him to recognize cats and small dogs ARE NOT PREY!!

• Gold Top Dog

BCMixs

FWIW, there are several sighthounds that frequent our dog park, several rescued greyhounds, borzois and whippets.  The energy levels of these dogs are very high and they must be provided with the opportunity to run off-lead and burn that off (or so I'm told by the owners).  Do you have a place where that can be done safely, such as a dog park or a large, fenced property?

This is partially accurate - sighthounds LOVE to run and IMO should be given a chance to do so on a regular basis. BUT these are not "high energy" dogs at all, most sighthounds are very calm and prefer spend the majority of their time lounging on the sofa. They are unique in their energy needs because being selected for being sprinters, they tend to be able to be satisfied with short sprinting sessions (compared to most herdng or sporting breeds who won't even be getting started after a sprint). I personally would probably not have a sighthound without a fenced yard because running is such a joy for them. They also may not be safe at dog parks due to high prey drive if small dogs mix with large ones - I have known prey drive to be an issue with Greyhounds even in dogs up to Mini Schaunzer size. I suggest Patricia Gail Burnham's new book Treats, Play, Love: Make Dog Training Fun for You and Your Dog for anyone considering a sighthound. The book is a general book but has tons of specific references to sighthounds because the author is a long time Greyhound breeder. I think the book is a good training book and can really help someone understand sighthounds as well.

I LOVE the look of Silkens! I was just saying to someone today that I really liked this breed. FWIW And I still have the dog I bought when I was 17, had the dog I got at 11 until he died of old age and known plenty of people who can say the same. Everyone's situation is unique and I don't think a generalization that "it will be the parent's dog in the end" is fair to make. That said, it is something that a teen wanting a dog should consider - will you be able to commit to having a dog for the next 10+ years? If not or unsure, do your parents want the dog as much as you do?

• Gold Top Dog

The dog would be coming with me when I move out.

I'm not going to make the commitment then abandon the dog to my grandma and her partner.

I'll reply some more but I have to go eat supper! So brb.

The dog would be coming with me when I move out.

I'm not going to make the commitment then abandon the dog to my grandma and her partner.

I'll reply some more but I have to go eat supper! So brb.

Edit:

Anyways.

To be honest my grandma and her partner don't really care if they have another dog in the house, they're happy with 2, and would be happy with 3. (3rd being the pup i'd be bringing into the house, of course.) I fully understand the commitment a dog would be, and would plan to keep the dog until he/she passes. Thats how I want to commit to any animal I am responsible for.

I'd be responsible financially and anything else the dog would need.

And I do have a fenced dog park I could go to, however it isn't seperated from small dogs and big dogs, it's a mixed park. But the majority of the park regulars consists of medium to large dogs.

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD
    This is partially accurate - sighthounds LOVE to run and IMO should be given a chance to do so on a regular basis. BUT these are not "high energy" dogs at all, most sighthounds are very calm and prefer spend the majority of their time lounging on the sofa. They are unique in their energy needs because being selected for being sprinters, they tend to be able to be satisfied with short sprinting sessions (compared to most herdng or sporting breeds who won't even be getting started after a sprint). I personally would probably not have a sighthound without a fenced yard because running is such a joy for them. They also may not be safe at dog parks due to high prey drive if small dogs mix with large ones - I have known prey drive to be an issue with Greyhounds even in dogs up to Mini Schaunzer size.

Agree totally with AgileGSD!  Part of the reason I think my Pofi is a Lurcher (sighthound x herding breed) is because of his incredible capacity for lounging...he has awe inspiring bursts of energy and when he really kicks it into high gear at a dog park people stop and stare because it is a beautiful sight.  But when we come home and inside, he is ready for quality napping on the sofa or bed!

• Gold Top Dog

Energy level may vary.  I know my 16 month old basenji puppy has more energy than my 5 year old malinois.  But basenjis are a bit of an odd ball breed, even amongst other sighthounds.

• Gold Top Dog

agilebasenji

Energy level may vary.  I know my 16 month old basenji puppy has more energy than my 5 year old malinois.  But basenjis are a bit of an odd ball breed, even amongst other sighthounds.

I know that Basenjis are considered sighthounds as are Rigdies (I believe due to hunting style) but IMO they really don't fit the typical sighthound type in temeprament or looks.

• Gold Top Dog

They are so darned pretty. We don't have them over here.

I got Penny when I was 13. Since then, there have been several years where circumstances have just not allowed me to have her with me. It sucked. My mother agreed to let me have a dog with the agreement that she would take the dog if I couldn't. Good thing, too. I've promised to repay her by minding her dogs when she needs me to now that we have a yard to put them in. 

• Gold Top Dog

Okami

Looking at a silken windhound to call my own.

Although I have researched and continue to do so, any personal experience with sighthounds would be awesome.

Also, what do you think about this breeder:

allagantesilkens.com

You should join the Yahoo! silken windhound group.  It's a great place to network and learn more about the breed and the people. 

I just wanted to add:  I love the Thai Ridgeback in your siggie!  They're such a cool breed. 

• Gold Top Dog

Don't forget to have your SW tested for the MDR-1Delta mutation.  Breeders can "clear" their litters via DNA but I don't think this is a priority in the breed so I wouldn't hold a failure there as a sign of negligence.  Wink

They are beautiful dogs.  There's some old pictures of rabbit lurchers that look very similar - and Border Collies have those bloodlines in them. That's why you'll see some build very slim and whippet-y - and these dogs also tend to be from extremely prey-driven and independent-minded lines.  I think it's my fondness for those lines that makes the Windhounds catch my eye. 

• Gold Top Dog

Hum.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I am having doubts though, I'm leaning towards a Ibizan.. would be easier competition (lure coursing) wise.

I am so torn. Lool

I love both.

• Gold Top Dog

Okami

Hum.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I am having doubts though, I'm leaning towards a Ibizan.. would be easier competition (lure coursing) wise.

I am so torn. Lool

I love both.

Beezers are cool dogs too, but have a completely different temperment.  They're the "clowns" of the sighthound world.  Rarely serious for a moment, and always looking to meet new people and make them laugh.  Do your research with the breeders though-loads of research.  The Ibizan is still an independent sighthound to an extent, so make sure you know what you're getting into.  

One last thing I cannot stress enough:  Meet some of the breeder's dogs.  You don't know what you're getting until you meet the dogs themselves.