are you kidding me?!

• Gold Top Dog

are you kidding me?!

I was looking around online at chihuahuas for sale, and came across someone who had a little blue merel long hair female that they sold for $5000! It is sooooo darn cute!!

But are you kidding me?! Why would someone pay that much for a "rare" colored chi....?

Here's what they say about her...

"Here is an extra special female Micro toy merle
    with 2 blue eyes. She is absolutely Perfect in
    every way You will have to look long and hard
    to find one as tiny exotic and special as she is.
    My pups sell briskly so if you want her, a 500
    dollar deposit will hold her till she is ready to
    go. I dont see her going over 3 lbs as an
    adult.She is not going to be suitable for breeding
    as she is way too small. She is only 12 0z on
    april 11 08."

• Gold Top Dog
    Well atleast they were honest in saying she wasnt fit for breeding. Most people would be all for trying to breed her becasue of her rare coloring. I do admit, she does sound pretty.

I never have chosen any of my current dogs on looks or color, rather half of them choose me. Its crazy that people will buy a dog for that sole reason. I understand wanting a working dog of a certian color, like a black Lab whose dark coat is thought to be more water proof then choco or yellow colored coats.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh my gosh, that is insane! 12 oz is like the size of a coke can!! Personally, i would refuse to buy anything called a "micro toy"

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know anything about the price of Chis, but that seems like a lot.  Are any colors considered more or less desirable?  I ask b/c in German Shepherds, there is a HUGE variety of colors and patterns, but no one color or pattern is considered more rare or more desirable than another, so anyone selling something for more as "rare" is a total quack.

• Gold Top Dog

micro toy.....*cringe* 

• Gold Top Dog

Jewlieee

micro toy.....*cringe* 

Exactly, makes my skin crawl.........eeew.....

I actually prefer lighter colored eyes in GSDs......when purchasing only, most of my dogs are rescues, and I have no choice in how they look.....I could never see spending 5 grand on a dog when there are many that get thrown away every day......

• Gold Top Dog
    $5000 is pretty standard for Petstore or byb chi's around here in los angeles. When I looked around for "real" breeders for ollie I found that most breeders sell for 500-1500 depending on the dog. Adds like that make me cringe, the poor soul who is fooled by it will likely spend a fortune on vet bills. Dog's that small have lots of issues yikes!
    • Gold Top Dog

So a toy isn't small enough?  We're talking what?  Small guina pig size?  Large hampster?

I honestly think the little dogs are adorable, but heaven knows as clumsy as I am, I'd be a nervous wreck owning anything smaller than say a cocker.  I'd be so afraid of breaking the little guy/gal that I don't think I could enjoy one.  That's my disclaimer, and having said that, with absolutely no offense meant to toy breeds or their owners, good gosh.....this teacup and micro stuff has just gone wayyyyy too far.  It absolutely can't be healthy to make dogs so much tinier than they already are.

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar
    .this teacup and micro stuff has just gone wayyyyy too far.  It absolutely can't be healthy to make dogs so much tinier than they already are.

i bet its not really a dog at all.....

probably one of these Big Smile

(*(*(*is currently ducking and running*)*)*) 

• Gold Top Dog

OOh OOh I dare you to write them and ask what kinda health tests her parents have passed, LOL. I bet they reply with "she's been checked by the vet as healthy", LOL!

• Gold Top Dog

AuroraLove

OOh OOh I dare you to write them and ask what kinda health tests her parents have passed, LOL. I bet they reply with "she's been checked by the vet as healthy", LOL!

No kidding.  So has my hip dysplastic mutt who has had diahrrea for 2 weeks, lol. 

• Gold Top Dog

Ridiculous price, and the add definitely made me cringe...

ETA:  My chi is just barely over 3 lbs., and healthy as an ox.  Wink  The Chihuahua standard is 2-6 lbs.  It is not the size that would worry me about this particular dog, but the fact that she is obviously not from good breeder, so for THAT reason I would be worried about future health problems.

• Gold Top Dog

I didn't realize that the standard was that small.  So this woman is basically blowing more smoke with the micro toy crap?.

I honestly mean no offense to tiny dogs or their people, but holy cow thats soooooooo little.  I truly would be an absolute nervous wreck with a dog that small.  I break ME trying to avoid breaking it

And yes, it goes without saying that this is not a quality breeder.  Just the whole thing made me see red.  Including the price tag.

• Gold Top Dog

Chihuahuas are seriously that small?  Has that changed in the last few years - maybe knocked the top down of the standard or something?

My inlaws had a chihuahua twenty years ago and I don't remember her being much smaller than Zhi (Chinese crested, on the small side of the standard at 9 or 10 pounds).  She was a freakish dog but I think raised a bit differently she would have been a neat dog.  She was purchased from what I'd call a serious back yard breeder - only BYB in that they didn't show, but their dogs themselves were from show kennels and they did eyes and elbows, heart, etc on the parents.  Trixie had an actual dog-shaped face rather than the smooshed one I see today - maybe the muzzle adds another pound or so?  Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog
    They are not going to stop till dogs are the size of roaches and can be kept in fish tanks.