staffordshire bull terrier

• Gold Top Dog

staffordshire bull terrier

Are staffordshire bull terriers considered pit bulls?

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/magic_pottie/TerStaffordshireBullTerrier.jpg[/IMG]

I'm going to be getting another dog during the summer, most likely a Chihuahua, but with some convincing I could probably convice my parents into letting me get different breed (I do LOVE chi's dont get me wrong..). But parents say no pit bulls because something about insurance goes higher or something? and that it would be hard to find a new home that will allow them when I move out...

• Gold Top Dog

They are usually included on the same lists.  I have to say I think it's hilarious that you are thinking Chi vs. SBT!  I think the same thing sometimes!!  I love my Chi's but sometimes wish they were bigger.  When I think of what breed I could get that has the same short fur and loveable, smiley, personality I think of the Staffies.  There are more similarities than one would think and I've had both.   Both usually big time cuddlers, both sometimes misunderstood by the public at large, both hate the cold...  Too funny!!!

• Gold Top Dog

corgichick
    But parents say no pit bulls because something about insurance goes higher or something? and that it would be hard to find a new home that will allow them when I move out...

Many insurance companies will not insure you if you have a staffie and they are one of the breeds targeted in BSL.

• Gold Top Dog

I guess it depends on your insurance company? We have BSL in my country, but staffies are most certainly exempt. They're a VERY popular breed over here, although I know one killed a dog at our local dog park last year.

• Gold Top Dog

This really depends on the company.  There was one company we looked into that would not insure pits, rotties, or dobes, but would insure "Staffordshire terriers." 

We deliberately went with a company that does not even ask breed because of Sally.  They only ask whether the dog has a bite record, and whether the dog is guard or attack trained.  They have a one bite policy though--one bite and they drop you unless you get rid of the dog.

If you have not already done so I would check is there is any BSL in your area.  The majority of BSL includes staffies. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Yes, they are often included with pit bulls in BSL, apartment and insurance restrictions. A small dog like a chi would be perfect, because they fit well within the breed and size limits at most apartment complexes. Finding rental housing with a pit bull is no fun. In my apartment in Boston, we paid an extra $100/month in pet rent. That was a few years ago, so I expect it would be more now.
    • Gold Top Dog

check your company. during the Dangerous Dog Amnesty in the UK last year(or was it the year before that?) the only dogs that survived it were the REGISTERED staffy bulls...... i dont know why that matters but it saved a few lives and caused some close shaves with others.

• Gold Top Dog

Yeah, we totally lucked out with our apartment when we got Sally.  Our landlord was someone I'd worked for for years and her only requirment was that I get her fixed (which was going to happen anyway).

If you are planning on moving into a rental property within your future dog's lifetime I would think very, very, very carefully about getting anything that could be considered "pit type."  Not that I'm trying to discourage you, but if you are not into the idea of jumping through 13278731864 hoops to find somewhere to live, you may want to really think about another breed.  You should see what the people on my pit bull board have to go through to find housing--I thank my lucky stars everyday that we finally own our house. 

My cousin has a pair a rotties (one is old and dying of cancer for heaven's sake) and she literally searched for months and months and months (and this was for rental houses, not apartments) to find somewhere to live.  She said that the second the potential landlords laid eyes on the dogs, or that they mentioned the breed, the interviews were over.  The landlord who actually ended up renting to them never asked the breed of the dogs--she just started to tell him that the dogs were large and he went on and on about how great big slobbery dogs were and never asked anymore questions.

If this is something you truly feel you are up for, by all means go for it.  All I'm trying to say is that if you are planning on renting at all in the future, insurance might be the least of your worries.

• Gold Top Dog

one thing i learned is not to mention your dog's breed.... "Dont Ask Dont Tell" sorta thing.....

if you see an add that says pets are allowed just leave it at that. dont just ASK if they have a ban on anything specific..  read the contract yourself and if its vague or doesnt mention anything of the sort or if they dont mention anything of the sort then good. i wouldnt even introduce my dog to the landlord..

buuuut i've been lucky.... out where i live, and where i have grown up, people are fans of bulldog breeds. everyone has a hero story to tell about their bulldogs.. but in the city its different. its harder to find an apartment, not because of the breed, but because of the size of the dog, but there are a few places that ban bullies - and then ignore the tenants when they bring them in - the dogs owners just do their level best not to have a situation to call attention to them and their dogs.

• Gold Top Dog

DumDog
    one thing i learned is not to mention your dog's breed.... "Dont Ask Dont Tell" sorta thing.....

if you see an add that says pets are allowed just leave it at that. dont just ASK if they have a ban on anything specific..  read the contract yourself and if its vague or doesnt mention anything of the sort or if they dont mention anything of the sort then good. i wouldnt even introduce my dog to the landlord..

Not so sure that is such a good idea.  You are setting yourself up to be stuck in a contract while not being able to keep the dog on the property.  Lease agreement seldom contain breeds listed.  The wording usually contains terms such as "at owners discression".  I'd be completely honest upfront because I have seen too many times when a person will move in and within 30 days having to get rid of their dog because they didn't make sure it was ok to have that breed there.

• Gold Top Dog

You might also want to do some research into how the tide is turning in your state and area regarding BSLs.  You could be fine now and then a law or ordinance passes requiring you to carry additional insurance, walk with a muzzle, etc. and that could impact your life in a way you didn't expect.  It's also pretty difficult to have to move and leave your home because of a law like that just to keep your dog or to avoid the higher insurance premiums.  Info from your homeowners insurance might be in order too, there might already be an exclusion, etc. that you don't know about in your policy.  Most of us never know how our policy handles things until there's an issue and then it's too late.

• Gold Top Dog

I'd love to have one, but I think it would be better not to. If for some reason BSL becomes a problem in the future I dont think I could part with my dog and I think it would be hard to find a good place to live where they allow pitties.

I'd take one home in a heartbeat...I have a thing for chocolate pitties.

I'd love to adopt one of these guys...

http://www.animalhouseshelter.com/details.asp?animalid=6320917

http://www.animalhouseshelter.com/details.asp?animalid=-16695005

http://www.animalhouseshelter.com/details.asp?animalid=-25514585

• Gold Top Dog

They sure are cute. I'm thinking about getting a pittie in the future but it all depends on where I end up. And since I'll probably have a couple large dogs it'll be difficult to find places to live anyways. Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Steve thats true but i'm not so sure they can legally change their contract that easily.. which is why i mentioned the contract being might be a good thing. many people dont even consider breeds when leasing property. at least that hasnt been my experience. i've lived in a lot of different homes and only came across one person that refused pit bull types.. and she was an old lady with grand kids.

its all up to circumstances in the end though. and the worst part about this is that it wont stop here. there is a lot more controversy involving this breed than living space and insurance companies Sad