I couldn't help but post this..

• Gold Top Dog

I couldn't help but post this..

I've been browsing Kijiji.com because I'm trying to sell my wedding dress, and occasionally I browse the pet section. Well here is what I found...

"Shiranians - true life teddybears of the dog world back again by elite demand! We have a tiny Chocolate Sable male and a Shade of White  female and a Light Cream female to offer.

This breed perfectly blends the best characteristics of the Shih Tzu and Pomeranian. These pups will grow up to be the centre of attention - everywhere you go people will ask "What breed of dog is that?" Then they will attempt to find these limited and exclusive treasures but will they be lucky enough to? These pups will grow up to be just like mom a tiny purebred POMERANIAN (in pic below) and dad an AKC REGISTERED IMPERIAL SHIH TZU ; highly intelligent , healthy, non-aggressive, affectionate, good tempered, protective, gentle, loyal and let's not forget CUTE and BEAUTIFUL! They would make an excellent companion for a child or first-time dog owner as they are easily trainable and are very willing to please and not stubborn as some other dog breeds. Trust me , Once You've found a Shiranian You've Found Your Best Friend!

Each puppy comes with;
    • 1 Year Written Health Guarantee
    • Puppy Training Video
    • Needles and Deworming

To view these limited and exclusive Shiranian"

Tongue Tied 

• Gold Top Dog

I can't even PRONOUNCE that. A wha?? Geeze.

• Puppy

Very interesting ! They say that Mutt dogs can be quite healthy , having larger gene pools.  I wounder if its pronounced " Shi-ranian" .. In California Pom Chi's are very popular . ( Truth is Poms and Chi's where breed together in early 1900s to give the Chi's the Long coat ) Who knows, maybe it will be a breed someday :)

• Gold Top Dog

Sure, these "Mutt dogs" can be quite healthy...but so can responsibly bred purebreds.  And so can "Mutt dogs" from a shelter or rescue.  Plus, those dogs cost about 1/10th of a "designer dog."   After all, a designer dog is just the latest fashion trend.  Just like with all trends, they fade out once people find something cuter.  Then guess where those trends go...with clothes, they go to Goodwill, with dogs, they go to the pound.

• Puppy

I guess with some owner's that is true , But isnt that true of any breed ? Do you want to know how many Labs , goldens, GSDs, Terriors, Doxies, Chi's, and other pure breeds there are in the pound .. Geesh One day Animal Control visited me with a beautiful 1 year old Saint Barnard in his truck . ( We are friends with AC , have them visit our Rescue Horse ect )   Some one is less likley to throw away a dog they payed $500+ for then one they got for free on a corner.  A breeder who seriously thinks out a breeding , and knows what they are making , are asking money for there dogs, and keeps records of who they go to ,because they are cared for and vet checked and just as worth $ as a pure breed - more power to them .. Someone who lets there dog just have puppies, and gives them away for free, never looking back .. then you have an issue.

The Lady who thinks it out is more likley to be accessible for questions when there are problems, and be willing to take a dog back if some owners situation changes.

I forgot to Mention , My Step father had 2 Poodle / Cockerspaniels for 12 years , he loved them dearly . He also had a persian cat that lived for 18 years. Its the OWNER , not nessisarly the breeder that matters. There needs to be More Owner  training and awarness of how to care for animals. I think it should be a class for children personaly , along with caring for other people . These days it just seems people are apithetic anymore.  

• Gold Top Dog

sl2crmeg
    I can't even PRONOUNCE that. A wha?? Geeze.

I could think of some really interesting name combinations for that mixed breed but I think that the word filter here would catch most of them.

• Gold Top Dog

It can be true with EVERY breed...however, I have yet to meet a responsible breeder of a "designer dog."  This one is not one...there is no such thing as an AKC registered Imperial Shih Tzu.  That is a designer dog itself.  If I met a responsible breeder of ANY designer dog, I would not have a problem with them.

• Gold Top Dog

ColleenC
    I have yet to meet a responsible breeder of a "designer dog." 

I know situations where crosses are used for specific working situations.  I think that those people are breeding responsibly.

• Gold Top Dog

Personally, I do not consider these type of crosses as "designer breeds."  Breeding for a working purpose is completely different than breeding two cute dogs to make even cuter dogs.  I've heard that the lab/golden poodle mixes started out as breeding stock for better therapy dogs...unfortunately it didn't stop there.  If that is the reason they are being bred by some breeders, then good for them.  I know of a ton of Aussie/BC that are used for working around here.  These dogs are being bred to fill a purpose.  The people are not making tons of money off of them and they are having the proper health tests done before being bred.  Now, the Chiweenies, Shih-poos and PomChis that are being bred...I've NEVER seen one come from a breeder that does the proper health testing and waits until at least 8 weeks before placing them.  Most are placed at 5-6 weeks around here.  That is one reason we get so many in shelters, they are being set up to be biters (nippers) already by losing out on so much socialization by being placed so young.  To me, that is NOT a responsible breeder and the dog is a "fad" not a dog being bred properly to work.  Even if these "breeders" were trying to breed a better companion dog, I would still have a problem with them until they do the proper testing and place their puppies responsibly.

• Gold Top Dog

To stray a little off topic

I look through the pet sections on Kijiji all the time. Some people seem like reputable purbred breeders on there. Have any of you actually purchase a puppy off seeing an add on there? Are there actually legit breeders on there?

Maybe I should make this it's own thread.

• Gold Top Dog

I just glanced at that site, but I saw NO reputable breeders.  The only "real" registries in North America are AKC, UKC, and CanKC.  The others will let you register anything and everything.  A reputable breeder rarely has to advertise puppies because many times they have a waiting list.  Sometimes litters are bigger than expected and more homes are needed, but they will not let their puppy go to anyone.  Personally, I'd stay away from any "breeders" on that site.

• Gold Top Dog

I look at the Toronto section, since that's where I'm from.

Many of them state that there pups are CKC Registered, come with papers, health guarentee, parents are on site and such. They even provide there websites. So I thought some of them might be reputable. I was always wondering..Thanks for clearing that up.

• Gold Top Dog

ColleenC

I just glanced at that site, but I saw NO reputable breeders.  The only "real" registries in North America are AKC, UKC, and CanKC.  The others will let you register anything and everything.  A reputable breeder rarely has to advertise puppies because many times they have a waiting list.  Sometimes litters are bigger than expected and more homes are needed, but they will not let their puppy go to anyone.  Personally, I'd stay away from any "breeders" on that site.

I agree.

My area is horrible for BYB's, but around here I'm sad to say 90% of the people here have no clue about BYB's or Puppy Mills. I wish I was exaggerating on that estimate. The first time I ever heard of a BYB or puppy Mill was actually on this site, its not a well known thing around here. And my family/ friends think I'm crazy for opposing BYB or puppy mills because they don't understand the difference.

I personally will never understand ads like the one I posted. There is no way that person can guarantee all the things they said, and unfortunately someone is going to buy one of those puppies and may end up with alot more than they bargained for.

This part of the ad bothers me the most:

"They would make an excellent companion for a child or first-time dog owner as they are easily trainable and are very willing to please and not stubborn as some other dog breeds"

I can only guess how many would end up in a shelter or in not so great situations with that being said. I would NEVER suggest a  Pomeranian to a first time owner or with a family with children (unless had knowledge on the breed and were aware of how careful you have to be with them and children). I know that I got a Pomeranian as my first official pet and I was horribly and utterly shocked for the first year and a half I had her. They are super strong willed, stubborn dogs and very high maintenance. Even as a mix I'm sure they would keep some of their stubborn Pomeranian personality.

• Gold Top Dog

Liv
    Even as a mix I'm sure they would keep some of their stubborn Pomeranian personality.

Oh, don't you know?  These mixes ONLY take the good qualities from each breed.  Any negative qualities disappear. Angry

• Gold Top Dog

TheDogHouseBCMPD

Oh, don't you know?  These mixes ONLY take the good qualities from each breed.  Any negative qualities disappear. Angry

LOL! 

Dontcha just cringe at the fancy-schmancy names they come up with for the colors?  Reminds me of a site someone emailed me a link to...some kind of designer kitten.  $2000 for a cat the size of a soda can.