What Breed should I get?

• Gold Top Dog

fameb

However, I'm leaning towards submitting an application to a reputable Dog Rescue nearby, tell them my wants and needs in a dog and maybe they can match me up with the perfect match. Find our new addition to the family as well as save a life.

This is a WONDERFUL Idea !! Take your time and be as clear and open as you were in your initital post. You seem to have tremendous understanding of your world and the adventures and challenges you have. 

Many times dogs end up in rescue not because they are "defective" but the breeder made a bad placement or the circumstances of the placement radically changed.  Loss of jobs or non dog related health issues.  Having worked with rescue for a long time I know many fine dogs end up in limbo through no fault of their own.

The Standard poodle is really a great choice BTW, they are not all foofy dogs, the hair styles vary and are only limited to your and your groomer's ability. I think the Standards who are corded rather than combed out are waaaaay cool.

Keep all of us informed we love to follow adventures!

Bonita of Bwana

• Gold Top Dog

First of all, congrats on getting married! I think rescuing a dog at a shelter would be wonderful (we did that this "time" around), however,  Idid come across some breeds that may fit you requirements (links are also posted). Good luck!

Alapaha Blue Blood Bull dog:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alapahabluebloodbulldogs.htm

Black Mouth Cur:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/blackmouthcur.htm

Boxer:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/boxer.htm

Catahoula Leopard Dog:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/catahoula.htm

Doberman Pinscher :

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/doberman.htm

Dutch Shepherd: 

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dutchshepherd.htm

Chesapeake Bay Retriever:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chesapeakebay.htm

*I also feel that Staffordshire terriers, Pit Bulls, Mastiffs, etc would be great breeds for you... they are wonderful dogs despite their reputation... if you consider getting on of the "bully" breeds, makes sure there no BSLs in your area or any threats based on breeds from insurance companies. 

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD
     I would be hesitant to suggest you allow a rescue to match you up with what they feel will fit you. Most people involved with rescue are not knowledgeable about temperament or breeds and mixes are a bit harder to predict what you'll get.

Thank you for putting down shelter workers. Most are highly knowledgable about their dogs. They know their temperments, and how they react to different things. Yes - shelter enviroments are not ideal for many dogs, but many shelters have certified trainers to help their dogs and many are starting to have behaviorists on site.

AgileGSD
    This may be an unpopular opinion but I would not suggest a retired racing grey for a home which may have small kids in it. Retired racing greys are not socialized to children and have not been raised to be pets.

There are not children in the home at this time. They will have plenty of time to socialize the new pet and get him acclimated to children. Not all dogs are raised around children, and this can be a problem in many situations. I know many greyhounds that do extremely well in homes with children. But, as always, it depends on the dog.

BTW - Labs shed a TON. And not all are good family pets due to inbreeding and such. Many are great. I would go with an older, mature lab if that's what you are looking for.

• Gold Top Dog

Well most of the large breeds do not live long lives like the smaller breeds do and many of the very dominant breeds are not always good for a first time owner although it can work if you go into with the right frame of mind and do your research.

How about an Airedale?  Life expectancy of about 11 years, one of the better breeds for people with allergies and able to guard and protect

• Gold Top Dog

Airedales seem like a good fit. They might need a little more excersize than I'm able to give though.

I researched dogbreedinfo.com and it really seems like a Spinone or Standard Poodle is the best fit for me. I have experience with Poodles (although toy).

While keeping smaller breeds in mind, what about The Boston Terrier. Would they fit into my lifestyle??

• Gold Top Dog

I think you should go for it and get the Standard!! I admire a guy who is confident enough to own and love a poodle. They are wicked clever and happy dogs. Bostons are trendously cute BUTTTTTTT heat is a huge issue for them.  Airdales require a lot of socialization and training. Spinone's do have some health issues so be vililant about the breeder and kenn;.......

Bonita of Bwana

• Gold Top Dog

Since you like the Spinone, what about a German Wirehair Pointer?  The Spinone sounds like a better fit, but might be more difficult to find. 

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989
    Thank you for putting down shelter workers. Most are highly knowledgable about their dogs. They know their temperments, and how they react to different things. Yes - shelter enviroments are not ideal for many dogs, but many shelters have certified trainers to help their dogs and many are starting to have behaviorists on site.

I am not trying to put down shelter workers. I am sure most got into rescue because they love dogs. The majority IME are kind hearted but not all that educated about dog behavior or about breeds (if you doubt that one, just one look around petfinder at all the breed misIDing shows that it is true). That is fine but doesn't make them the best judge of what dogs and people match up. I have seen some very sad situations where a shelter worker convimced someone that a totally unsuitable dog for them was the one that was a perfect fit. It is great that some shelters are lucky enough to have knowledgeable trainers but not all do.

AgileGSD
    I know many greyhounds that do extremely well in homes with children. But, as always, it depends on the dog.

BTW - Labs shed a TON. And not all are good family pets due to inbreeding and such. Many are great. I would go with an older, mature lab if that's what you are looking for.

As a breed, Greys are just not my choice for kid dogs. That isn't to say that some aren't great with kids but my experience in general makes me hesitant to suggest them.

How exactly does inbreeding make dogs bad pets? That sort statement has to be one of my biggest pet peeves and shows a lack of understanding about breeding in general. I'm not trying to be mean, it is a common thing I hear (that and "overbreeding" causing problems). I think you mean indiscriminate breeding - where breeders aren't striving to produce good temperament, good health and general soundness. I agree with that and agree that you have to be careful with dogs from indiscriminate breedings, as they may not have the proper temperament for the breed. Most rescue/shelter purebreds are the outcome of indiscriminate breeding but being there are so many, I think someone could find one with a good temperament for a famile pet. With Labs (good point about the shedding) for people looking for pet Labs I usually suggest looking for someone with English show lines - on the whole they tend to be calmer, more laid back and easier to live with than any other type of Lab I have seen but still are trainable.

Another really good and often not thought about option for a Lab (and some other breeds too), if you aren't set on a puppy is to contact service and guide dog organizations and apply to adopt a "washout" of their training program. Dogs washout of that sort of training fairly easily for things which wouldn't affect their ability to be good pets. These dogs are adopted out to pet homes and they are already trained for basic obedience (many have much more), well socialized, all vet care done, hips xrayed and lots of info about background, temperament and training. Might be worth checking out! Other dogs which you can find through service dog orgs, depending on the group include: GSDs, Poodles, Goldens, Golden/Lab mixes, Viszlas, Smooth Collies, Dobermans, Boxers and Doodles (Labradoodles, Goldendoodles - which are all mixed breed dogs).

• Gold Top Dog

IF you get a "doodle", DO NOT pay big bucks for it. Go to a shelter and pick one out dirt cheap.

As for rescue people not being up on dog breeds, I personally can tell the difference in over one hundred breeds at a glance. I am a volunteer at our local shelter and I am the one the PAID ACO comes to when she doesn't know what a dog is. I know the difference between an American Bulldog and a Pit, a can tell at a glance if the dog is a Shiba Inu or a mix (yes, we have several Shibas come through regularly), a Bernese Mountain dog vs. a Greater Swiss, etc. 

Be careful with those generalizations!Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

So does anyone know of any good shelters in the Toronto area?

One that has lots of knowledge and might be able to match me up with a dog that fits my lifestyle??

• Gold Top Dog

check out petfinder and it will bring up the shelters in your area

• Gold Top Dog

Good luck in finding a dog and I'm glad you're doing research...

There are quite a few spinone breeders in ontario...and google shelters in the toronto area...

My friend in Guelph loves the Guelph Humane Society...

Obviously I'm partial to Mastiffs...

Maria

• Gold Top Dog

lorib
    As for rescue people not being up on dog breeds, I personally can tell the difference in over one hundred breeds at a glance. I am a volunteer at our local shelter and I am the one the PAID ACO comes to when she doesn't know what a dog is. I know the difference between an American Bulldog and a Pit, a can tell at a glance if the dog is a Shiba Inu or a mix (yes, we have several Shibas come through regularly), a Bernese Mountain dog vs. a Greater Swiss, etc. 

Be careful with those generalizations! 

IME most/many rescue/shelter people are not all that dog knowledgeable - just dog lovers who find rescue to be a worthy cause. Nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean ALL rescue/shelter workers fit into that catagory. If you have studied your breeds - good for you! It still doesn't mean you would be the norm and it sounds like you are the exception at your shelter. I suspect my experience is the norm, since such a large number of dogs on Petfinder are not properly ID'd. I have been told on other forums over the years by numerous rescue people that they "don't have time" to learn about breeds, behavior and training (often because they are "too busy saving dogs";) so I know it just isn't my area.

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD
    am not trying to put down shelter workers. I am sure most got into rescue because they love dogs. The majority IME are kind hearted but not all that educated about dog behavior or about breeds

Actually, at the humane society where I volunteer, most of the dog walkers know an impressive amount of dog breeds, definitely more than the average person. And they are extremely knowledgeable about dog behavior - I have learned so much from them. 

fameb - Good luck with your search! I think going the rescue route is a fantastic idea. I was just at the humane society today, and I got to know a very sweet, gentle, 3 year old german shepherd mix.  You can find dogs like this at pretty much any shelter. And if you opt out of rescuing, I hope your choice breed works out for you! : )

• Puppy

Is there a reason why dachshunds didn't make the list? A wire dachsund doesn't shed at all and it's easy to learn to groom yourself. Wires are more active and longs are more laid back. Most people don't know that longs actually shed less than smooth doxies.

With two sizes, three coats, and MANY colors and patterns they are a good fit for a lot of people. They are wonderful with children contrary to what many have been told. They live to be approx 16 yrs. The back problems are limited with good bloodlines and good training.

I know I'm biased but I get hot under the collar when I hear(and it happens A LOT!!!), "I'd never have a dachsund they have too many back problems"