What Breed should I get?

• Gold Top Dog

fameb

GSD - So they've been mentioned the most. The only concerns I have about them is if I can provide it with enough excersize. Would 2 walks a day, and a romp in the backyard whenever needed, enough to satisfy there needs? I might be able to handle the shedding though..That's one thng I have to think about.

That will totally depend on the dog.  I understand your concerns regarding rescue dogs and health history.  What you may want to do, if you want to try a GSD, is find a reputable breeder who has an adult or a maturing pup for sale.  Then you will have knowledge of the health and also a clear indication of the dog's temperament and drives, with regard to how much exercise is needed.  Some GSDs need to be worked for hours daily, while others can be couch potatoes.  Well-bred GSDs should come with an "on/off" switch, so they settle in the house even if they do have high drives.  Mine is such a dog.  She can run all day, but if I am sick and can't go out for a week, she is also happy to sleep on the couch with me all week long.  She will not destroy the house for lack of exercise, but when I am ready to train and do a lot of physical activity, she is ready and willing.  I got her from a good breeder when she was 3.5 yrs old.  The breeder asked me detailed questions and helped match me to a dog.  I researched GSDs for over a year before finally going ahead with her adoption.

I will say that for my GSD, walks are not a good form of physical exercise.  I do not like to run on pavement, but sometimes my husband takes her jogging.  I have to almost be at a sprint just to get her to a gait, let alone running.  For us, walks are used for training and mental stimulation, not real exercise.  Once the weather improves, I plan to train her to run alongside my bike so I can road work her for exercise.  Right now her main exercise is jogging with DH, running off lead in the yard and at parks, and doing agility.  Often when we get back from a 3.5 mile walk, I let her off the leash and she runs sprints around our huge yard.  The walk is really just a warm up for her, so I use walks to practice our rally and obedience training with more distractions. 

My GSD has a pretty short, tight coat.  I am quite pleased with the lack of shedding.  However maybe it's relative, perhaps I was over-prepared!  I do have three cats so I'm used to hair.  Sometimes she will blow her coat and I can pull hair out in fistfulls, but that is a temporary thing and can be managed with good brushing.  Typically, when I brush her I rarely get more than one brush full of hair.  I think a really good diet also helps with coat maintenance and also keeps the dog smelling neutral. 

• Gold Top Dog

In your situation, I would not get a GSD or boxer. Both breeds are highly active dogs, that need things to do. 30 minute walks are not enough for these breeds. I would not worry about allergies, there is no one in your family with allergiesnow, it should not be a problem later on down the line. That said - I am highly allergic to cats (amoung other things) and I have 4 of my own, work with cats and foster (I have 5 total in my house now). I take daily medication, and make sure to keep my room well ventilated with good air circulation. My parents had a cat when I was born, so I'm not sure how that plays into my allergies now. I've always been allergic, and I deal just fine =]

I would adopt an older, mixed breed from a shelter. Black dogs tend to be more 'intimidating'. I would not get a puppy or a dog with a bunch of behavioral problems. Talk to the staff at the shelter, they know these dogs better than any owner they have ever had. Mixed breed dogs tend to live healthier lives. Maybe you could volunteer at your local shelter to gain training knowledge, and possibly find your new pet that way.

• Gold Top Dog
    Hmm..I know you said you wanted a Large breed but have you considered a Pug? They look almost like a minature mastiffs, are short coated, have have a life expectancy of about 12 to 15 years. They also require less energy as a GSD.

• Gold Top Dog

Kyda
    Hmm..I know you said you wanted a Large breed but have you considered a Pug? They look almost like a minature mastiffs, are short coated, have have a life expectancy of about 12 to 15 years. They also require less energy as a GSD.

I have an acquaintance whose Pug just turned 17!!  Personally, they are not for me.  However someone mentioned the Schipperke.  If I ever get a smaller dog, it will be a Schipperke!  To me they are like miniature GSDs. 

• Gold Top Dog

Eek. I've never met a nice schipperke....not the type I would call family dogs!

Pugs are great, as are boston terriers. You just have to watch to make sure they are still breathing ok.... haha.

Still thinking here... What about a greyhound? Calmer dogs, great as family pets - no grooming required (except routine baths, of course) Fairly calm indoors, would do great with walks throughout the day.

• Gold Top Dog

Eek. I've never met a nice schipperke....not the type I would call family dogs!

OMG, I totally disagree! My aunt has one that is the BEST family dog named charlotte. Some guy has one at the dog park too that is very friendly :) I think they are awesome dogs!
    • Gold Top Dog

well, I guess the ones down here are 'special.' I haven't been around too many, but the ones I have been near have not been the nicest dogs!

The last one I dealt with was friendly, and sweet - but would not tolerate sharing his space, or food, or toys. With anyone. No exceptions....Confused

but, like any breed - it all depends on the dog!

• Puppy

I agree completely with the mix breed from a rescue kennel idea. Both of my dogs are mixed one of them is a collie/german shepard and when the doorbell goes she goes nuts, sounds like the biggest killing beast in the world. When the door is opened she sits at the feet of the visitor looking up with the sweetest look of please pet me.

But the point is from a shelter you can view the dog, walk the dog, get exactly what you want. There will almost always be a little training to be done but this is the case getting a dog from almost any situation. Getting one which is a little older (2 years or so) will also keep you safe from any surprises (my brother got a cross breed puppy, turned out the parentage was not as expected and one of them was a great dane, the dog was huge within a year).

• Silver

A staff could be a good choice as they are  great with kids, real smart, they will protect you and your family especially kids, they are athletic, hardy and are just generally great dogs, a very good choice for a pet, even though people say theyre terrible dogs theyre not, they are lovely.

• Silver

a staffie would be a good choice, they are good with kids, they will protect you and your family especially kids and weaker people, they are hardy, they are athletic, friendly and smart. in general a lovely dog, very good with kids! i have one and he is great

• Gold Top Dog

OP has already stated he can't have a bully breed.... unfortunate, but it's the law where he lives.

• Gold Top Dog

As a GSD person I have to say - don't know what people are thinking about suggesting a shepherd for you. They are a mismatch for several things you said were important. German Shepherds shed....and shed...and shed. They are one of the worst breeds for people with allergy issues as well. They are also a more dominant, "harder" breed and many have much more serious guard dog instinct than just barking at strangers. That can and should be controlled but you sound like you are more looking for a dog that is friendly but barks when strangers come up to the house. I just don't think GSDs are for you, as much as I like them and as much as they can be awesome family dogs :)

Most any dog will bark when strangers come to the house, even super friendly breeds. Most untrained dogs can't be expected to protect you when there is danger, as much as most people want to believe their dog will. Dogs who have the best inclination to be naturally protective and willing to back it up if needed are going to be dominant dogs. And they are going to be dogs that you have to watch closely and train to accept strangers of any sort coming into their territory. It is a lot to ask of a dog to be friendly and welcoming of some strangers and aggressive towards others and known when there is a threat where they need to attack someone. Lassie does it but not many real life dogs do.

Maybe a Curly Coated Retriever? http://www.ccrca.org/ They have a single coat and while they shed it is a much lighter shed than a breed with undercoat.

What people have mentioned about grooming needs is very valid - most of the non-shedders have higher grooming requirements, as in they need professional grooming on a regular basis (a couple times a year just won't cut it). A Standard Poodle would fit what you want but they need professional grooming (or you need to learn to do it). Of course, you can just have them shaved down very short all over every few months. If you choose that they have pretty low to no grooming needs between trims. So they may be worth looking into, if you'd be ok with taking the dog to the groomer every couple months.

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you everyone so much for all the help. All of you are so helpful, and have really helped my narrow down my choices.

The Breeds I chose to consider are

Spinone Italiano

Curly Coated Retriever

Standard Poodle

Portuguese Water Dog

Greyhound (Retired Racer - for less excersize needs)

Labrador Retriever

However, I'm leaning towards submitting an application to a reputable Dog Rescue nearby, tell them my wants and needs in a dog and maybe they can match me up with the perfect match. Find our new addition to the family as well as save a life.

• Gold Top Dog

This may be an unpopular opinion but I would not suggest a retired racing grey for a home which may have small kids in it. Retired racing greys are not socialized to children and have not been raised to be pets. They can be great dogs, no doubt but many are prone to startle aggression and IME sighthounds in general can be "touchy" about children being rough or too physical with them.

I would be hesitant to suggest you allow a rescue to match you up with what they feel will fit you. Most people involved with rescue are not knowledgeable about temperament or breeds and mixes are a bit harder to predict what you'll get. That said, if you want to rescue a dog check out breed specific rescues for the dogs on your list! There are always tons of Labs looking for homes in Lab Rescues :)

• Gold Top Dog

The problem with rescues, apart from not knowing anything about their health, is that you don't actually get that great an idea of what the dog is like from seeing it at a shelter, even if it's an adult. Chloe was a young adult when my mother got her from the shelter, and it was several months before she came out of her shell and started to blossom, and 2 YEARS before she got it into her head to kill Penny. There were factors involved, of course, but geez it was heartbreaking to fall in love with that dog and then have to put her down after 2 years of bonding because she was suddenly hellbent on killing my dog and the whole family was in danger. I could never put my trust in a rescued dog ever again. Even my rescued rabbit has some bizarre behavioural problems and there have been times when I've wondered if she is actually genuinely a bit crazy in the head. I have no doubt there are plenty out there that are fine, but my furry family means too much to me for me to risk a rescue.

If the shedding doesn't worry you too too much, you could consider a Finnish Lapphund. Huh? Huh? Wink My lappie puppy was born last week and I'm counting down until I get to take him home. They're the sweetest dogs, and something else with kids. It's like they're made for kids. They have kid instincts. They're pretty healthy apart from the odd hip problems and they are prone to Progressive Retinal Atrophy, but that's entirely genetic and most breeders health check for that. They're not as big as a German Shepherd, and they have a lot of hair, though. The hair is pretty easy care and only needs a brush a week, I'm told.