Your breed, then and now

• Silver

Your breed, then and now

I thought it would be fun to have a thread with pictures comparing dogs of long ago and dogs from today. You can chose pictures to emphasize how much the breed has changed, or how little.

So of course I get to start. Samoyeds then and now. And how about a side game? We can try to guess what era the "then" picture is from. Anybody want to guess when this photo is from?

Then

Then

Now

now

• Gold Top Dog

Here is a St. John's Dog, aka: a Labrador in the begining breeding stages.

St. John's Dog 1856

Nell 1856

This (St. John's) dog was part of the breeding stock for the Labrador and had white feet and a white muzzle.   This trait was noted in some other Labradors being bred in the 1800's in England.   Today the breed standard prefers no white in the coat color.  Sometimes as the present day Labrador ages you will notice that areas that gray tend to be the paws and muzzle. Perhaps a left over of the St. John's Dog?  Nell is 12 years old here. Nell was owned by the Earl of Home (1799-1881)

• Gold Top Dog

The German Shepherd Dog then:

The German Shepherd Dog now:

S Konzert vom Drachenberg - West German 

Candia's Toil N' Trouble - American

25 x SchH III Eagle vom Eichenluft - East German

Galant z Pohranicni Straze - Czech 

• Gold Top Dog

This is Oberon.  He was one of the first Pharaoh Hounds in this country.  This was the mid 1980's. 

Oberon is the closest to standard PH I've ever seen in a photograph.  Those that knew him IRL say that he was almost perfect.  But when pressed for his faults, depending upon which person you talk to, the faults change-but all were minimal.  He was smallish, 22-23 inches and less than 50lbs, but still what I would breed for, were I to breed. 

And this is Xerxes, a pretty darned good rep for his breed.  I'm posting his pic because I don't have permission to post anyone else's right now.

The breed has changed very little in thousands of years.  Mostly due to the fact that it's been in the AKC less than 40 years.  Now we're beginning to see massive changes-larger dogs, finer boned bitches, more concentration on which bloodline the sire is from and less concentration on preserving the breed standard

• Silver

BlackLabbie, is the St. John's Dog also behind the Newfoundland? The head made me think of Newfies.

Xeph, I am going to take a guess at the time period of the picture you posted. 1920s?

• Gold Top Dog

I think so, but am not 100% sure. Here's something I did find:

"The larger St. John’s Dog evolved into the large and gentle Newfoundland dog, likely as a result of breeding with mastiffs brought to the island by the generations of Portuguese fishermen who had been fishing offshore since the 1400s."  -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_Water_Dog

• Gold Top Dog

BlackLabbie

I think so, but am not 100% sure. Here's something I did find:

"The larger St. John’s Dog evolved into the large and gentle Newfoundland dog, likely as a result of breeding with mastiffs brought to the island by the generations of Portuguese fishermen who had been fishing offshore since the 1400s."  -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_Water_Dog

This is the same information that I've read in my Lab history books. 

Here's a more current Lab.  This is Caleb's Great Grandfather, Garry (Ch Langschott Gale Force From Kim Valley) 

• Gold Top Dog

Loos II, the grand dame of the modern Border Collie (by modern I mean the registered working collie, post Telfer's Hemp and the beginning of sheepdog trials). 

An extreme influencial early stud, Herdman's Tommy:

And Dickson's Hemp, another important stud:

Some of the most influential modern working Border Collies:

Templeton's Roy:

MacKenzie's Don:

Templeton's Moss:

A random group of working Border Collies at a trial last year:

A show dog, the proponents of which claim to preserve "original type."  Wink

• Gold Top Dog

If anyone wants Beardie pics I've got one of those, too.

Modern working Beardie (great grandson of Paul Turnbull's Blue and the only Beardie to run in the American National Sheepdog Championship):

• Gold Top Dog

These are some Boston Terriers between 1890's and early 1900's...

These are Bostons from at least 1910...

And now....

• Gold Top Dog

Beagle 1943:

Beagle 2008:

• Gold Top Dog

Leonberger, circa 1930:

Leonberger current:

• Gold Top Dog

Akita c.1945-50 and prior:

Akita current (USA):

• Gold Top Dog

Actually, the first dog I posted was none other than Horand v Grafrath, so that photo was taken between 1900-1905 xD  Captain von Stephanitz discovered Horand in 1899 

• Gold Top Dog

bulldog from 1766

the first AKC bulldogs Crib and Rosa 1817

and today

70's/80s Performance type (or Scott) American bulldogs

70's/80s Bully/Classic or "Johnson" type  

And Southern White, or White English (what i grew up with)

Johnson today

Scott Bulldog today - with the man himself

not much change eh? lol kidding.... of all the breeds out there the one that has been changed most has been the bulldog breeds.... i'll let someone else pitch in and do the Bull and Terriers Big Smile