Red Rotties?

• Gold Top Dog

Red Rotties?

how come i have never seen/heard of one before? Red dobies sure... but a rott?

http://mastrsdggy.deviantart.com/art/red-rottweiler-64296059 

• Gold Top Dog

He looks mixed, to me. Could just be the coloring throwing me off. Super cute dog.

• Gold Top Dog
    I remember reading somewhere that you only got a red rott from severe inbreeding. There was a picture there of a red rottie that came from an Opps litter from a reputable breeder.
    • Gold Top Dog

i found this online just now - http://www.amrottclub.org/redrotts.htm

interesting stuff..

• Gold Top Dog

Interesting indeed.  As an Aussie owner, I'm amused that what is considered "red tri" in the Aussie breed, and is a lovely and desirable color pattern (notice the red tri beauty in this post - Sioux!), is not accepted in the Rottie.  All this stuff is just a matter of taste for the aficionados of each breed, except if the color characteristics increase the likelihood of physically or mentally deficient dogs.  I support the Rottweiler club wanting to keep to its published standard, but if the occasional red is born, it's a beautiful oddity just the same - so long as it's spayed or neutered.  I do not support the intentional breeding of red Rotts, though, any more than I would support the deliberate breeding of white Aussies.

• Gold Top Dog
    Looks like a mix to me too and any other pictures, I've seen of them, also look like a mix. Unfortunately, many people will believe it and want to buy one, because they are so unique. That's what the people who breed them are counting on. A lot of different info on the internet about them, from those speaking of how it is pretty much genetically not going to happen, to the reasons, genetically why it does happen. To me, when I've compared photos by comparing ears to ears, eyes to eyes, hindquarters to hindquarters, etc, they always look like a mix, so my thoughts are they are all mixes. And regardless if they are or not, they are not acceptable to the standard.
    • Gold Top Dog

I've seen Kelpies with that coloring (often mistaking for Rott mixes b/c of the pattern and short coat), but never a Rott.  Cool!

We've got a red tri Aussie in Kenya's advanced class.  Very pretty dog! 

• Gold Top Dog

My best friend has what you could consider a red rottie.....she is actually pit/rot mix (what a combo huh, man and dog eater, lol). She gets a lot of attention in public, I personally think she looks like she has down syndrome and continually remind my friend of this, lol! But it would be pretty easy to make a red rottie with prope mixins. She looks brown in these faded pics but her coat is a really nice red

• Gold Top Dog

lmao @ Aurora - thats so mean saying their dog looks like it has downs syndrome!

but you're right about one thing. i would be super concerned about crossing a rott with a pit for that very reason. that would be a ticking time bomb with the wrong person. 

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs

Interesting indeed.  As an Aussie owner, I'm amused that what is considered "red tri" in the Aussie breed, and is a lovely and desirable color pattern (notice the red tri beauty in this post - Sioux!), is not accepted in the Rottie.  All this stuff is just a matter of taste for the aficionados of each breed, except if the color characteristics increase the likelihood of physically or mentally deficient dogs.  I support the Rottweiler club wanting to keep to its published standard, but if the occasional red is born, it's a beautiful oddity just the same - so long as it's spayed or neutered.  I do not support the intentional breeding of red Rotts, though, any more than I would support the deliberate breeding of white Aussies.

Dilutes are traditionally considered to be a "weaker" animal, which is one reason why many standards don't allow for them. I don't believe that dilutes are as unhealthy as many early breeders worred they'd be but recent vaccine studies do prove them to be more at risk for reactions. Our dilute ,mismarked corgi is sensitive to light and gets sunburned. Sheep don't react the same to white/light dogs as colored dogs (hence livestock guardians being white or light colored) and in many breeds excessive white often comes with health issues. In other cases it is just looks and meant to preserve the breed's traditional appearance.

Re: Inbreeding: Most breeds carry some odd colors or coat types and the "severe inbreeding" theory isn't accurate. These things pop up when two parents happen to have the recessive gene for it and the two dogs don't need to be related to have that occur.

Some other oddities:

The dog featured on clicker lessons is a long haired Rott: http://www.clickerlessons.com/

Mastiffs come in long coats too: http://www.fluffymastiff.com/

Aussies have LOTS of variety in color! http://www.ashgi.org/color/

Dalmatian spots come in more than just black and brown: http://www.geocities.com/paisleydals/color.html

GSDs come in a variety of colors/patterns, some are dilutes: http://www.4gsd.net/colours.html 

I am sure there are a lot more links like that too. I am always interested in seeing what different colors or coats different breeds carry.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh she's my best friend so I tell her the dog is goofy, lol. She's turned out to be a good girl despite her mixins but she's defintly not a dog park dog.

-The long hair mastiffs are really kinda freaky looking huh?  Wow I really want to see one in real life!

• Gold Top Dog

My aunt has had 2 long haired rotts.  They were both gorgeous.  It is a disqualifying fault though.  From what I can tell sometimes faults happen in the best of breedings, so I'm not really upset to see them on *rare* occasions.  Now someone intentionally breeding to make faults come out....yea, that's a problem.

• Silver

Yup it's a big fault as well as that huge white patch, roached back and fearful eye......Wink

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

I've seen Kelpies with that coloring (often mistaking for Rott mixes b/c of the pattern and short coat), but never a Rott.  Cool!

We've got a red tri Aussie in Kenya's advanced class.  Very pretty dog! 

Liesje, whatever you do, do NOT tell me where that dog lives LOL.  What a beauty indeed. Do you know who bred her?

• Gold Top Dog

From what I understand in Lapphunds, the dilutes are quite coveted. There are a few breeders in Australia that are very proud of their cream/domino/blue/liver dogs. The breeder with the cream dogs seems pretty unwilling to sell hers. I don't think they're that amazing, as they look more like weird GR crosses than Lappies, but the dominoes are stunning, and the livers are really lovely as well. Even the black, tan and whites there are so many of are actually not so easy to come by in their home country, I think. I'm secretly hoping for a surprise liver pup just for me in the local litter due at the end of March, but with two black, tan and white parents, I think they're all going to be black, tan and white. Nonetheless, one such crossing produced a couple of white dogs with black markings a few years ago. Lappie colours are not exactly straight forward, I understand.

Jill has a bit of that Kelpie red in her. Dunno if you can tell in the siggy, but she has a liver nose and pretty pale amber eyes.  I have this odd feeling I've seen a red rottie somewhere, but maybe I'm imagining it.