how do you handle breed discrimination?

• Gold Top Dog

Most people that talk to you and say how vicious they think your dog is because of breed or look are usually the type that I refer to as "can't wait to show you how stupid they are."

At times, Shadow looks like a timber wolf and I've even had a few wonder if he was a wolf-hybrid. And that's a fair question. But the idiots are the ones who ask if he bites while they go ahead and stick their hand out. If you thought that he bites, why offer a tasty morsel?

If I thought he was prone to biting strangers I would a) limit his exposure in public, b) muzzle him.

But more often than not, people want to approach him because he is so striking. Which is not always good. He is shy until he knows you. So, strangers walking up to him with a hand over his head and heading straight on is not the best thing, either. But then, a lot of people come from generations of "train the dog by rubbing his nose in it" mentality and barely know how to read. I don't say that to be mean, it's just that if many of these people knew even half of what they thought they did, they wouldn't say this things. OTOH, I agree, when someone asks a legitimate question in the context of trying to learn, that is another ball of wax.

• Gold Top Dog

With Maska, I get the people who think hounds are stupid, stubborn, or never come when called (because they follow their noses).  In fact, his foster family dumped him because, in addition to the new BF not liking him, his foster mom thought he was dumb.  So the way I handled that was to put a great recall on him, get him a CGC, and make him a therapy dog.  (Their present dog is a dumb and hyper JRT mix LOL)

Big Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

I handle it much better now than I did 5 years ago.  I used to get really offended and hurt by the comments I'd hear about my dog.  But, then I started to realize who they were coming from. Honestly, I get people saying she looks like she wants to bite them when she's smiling up at them.  And, I also get people saying she wants to play when she's trying to bite.  

So, I realized I can't take what these people say seriously.  They don't know what they are talking about. 

I do appreciate it when people keep a distance and ask about her.  I think it's a great way to explain what she's like and get that "she's a vicious chow" thought out of their head.  It usually works well and if we see the same people again they usually are really good about handling the situation so everyone can continue their walk without too much interruption.

• Gold Top Dog

As another owner of one of those dreaded ChowsWink I get it alot. Usually only if I'm somewhere without Legend, and mention his breed. If he's with me, the wagging tail and goofy grin usually put people at ease.  But, I still get 'well HE'S the nicest Chow ever, but he's just an exception'Huh?

• Gold Top Dog

How about, "she's good for a chow"?????

• Gold Top Dog

get that tooStick out tongue

• Gold Top Dog

Ha--we have a new employee at work who has a wolf hybrid.  We were talking about dogs and when I told him I had a pit bull mix he replied "OH--you're one of THOSE people." Hmm 

• Gold Top Dog

sillysally
    "OH--you're one of THOSE people." Hmm 

Ugh...see, that makes me wanna puke!

I almost hate taking kaiser anywhere...yeah, i know he's big and i guess the solid black makes him look a little more scary. Maybe if i start putting silly t shirts or hats on him...

Oh, and Kaiser does not go to the dog park anymore. Since when does playing = aggression?? Oh, that's right...since it's a german shepherd it's aggression, but when Wyatt does the exact same thing, it's play!! Although there have been a few people afraid of wyatt...

• Gold Top Dog

I got that from an old obedience instructor i used to take Diesel to- when we were working on open obedience- "Well, he's doing good for an akita!"  What the heck is that supposed to mean!! 

• Gold Top Dog

Years ago, my first ob class with my first basenji.  The last day of class someone said "Oh she did very well, for a basenji."  Hmm  So now that's a joke in this house.  Too bad that woman couldn't see my brindlewonderkid get a 99 and a 1st place in his second rally outing.

• Gold Top Dog

I've never handled that sort of negative breed discrimination with Kirby, but I have dealt with animal discrimination general.  Many of the  animals I've kept would be considered vicious, nasty, dirty, terrifying, or all of the above by a good pocket of the general populace.  It has never bothered me however because I see it for what it is fear, lack of knowledge, or most often, a mixture of the two.  I've always looked at people who make little comments and scoot away as being much like a leash reactive dog who puts up a front to take on anything scary before it has a go at them.  Looking at people that way it is hard for me to get angry at someone who in my opinion is really missing out in life.

At the same time, I also acknowledge people's fear and while I am more than willing to educate on any of my animals, I don't care if people don't want to learn.  As long as they don't try to attack me or my animal, I'm fine.  My praying mantises are just one of the animals I've kept that most people don't get.  The way some people just look and shudder when I even mention I keep bugs as pets is to me funny.  Still I know it is what society often teaches, that insects are pests that want to eat you and your children so hurry up and buy some bug spray.  I just chalk it up to lack of experience mixed with an often irrational fear.  Even people who do want to meet my buggies are often prone to jumping to conclusions because they just don't know any better.  Nearly every time I show someone my mantises on of the first things they say is, "Oh you made it angry, it's trying to claw at you!"  In truth it is just my mantis reaching out with it's claws to get a hand up.  I know that, because I know exactly what a happy content mantis looks like and what a pissed/frightened mantis looks like.  Someone who doesn't know however just sees a bug waving pointed claws in the air.

I think sometimes people take for granted all the experiences they've had with animals and forget that not everyone is so lucky.  Despite how popular dogs are, there is still a huge portion of people who didn't grow up with one or ever keep one is a pet.  There are a lot of people who are just plan afraid of dogs, especially large dogs.  Even people with dogs can be prone to be afraid of certain breeds.  I don't know anyone who has ever owned every breed of dog, and many people don't have a lot of interaction with dogs outside of their own.  There friend has a beagle and states, "It's so stupid it won't listen to me and it is always got it's nose to the ground dragging me everywhere."  Clearly not a good dog for a pet!  Or they hear pit bulls are bad, and see German Shepards take down bad guys in the news and think, wow those dogs are dangerous.  I better stay away and make sure my kids do to.  Sure it would be great if these people would take some time to learn about the dogs, but a lot of people rather avoid the unknown than investigate it. 

• Gold Top Dog

I have to say I was really surprised in reading through this thread and seeing what you guys and the poor puppers have to put up with.

When I got Veronica I was prepared for all the negative comments and dirty looks; but we have gotten a total of 2 in the 17 months we've had her. I have come to realize that the general public apparrently has no clue as to what an actual American Pit Bull Terrier looks like. All they see is my somewhat petite 50 pound dog that comes up to my knee, wagging her tail off, smiling like a goof ball and trying to lick their faces off and they melt at her feet. My biggest problem in trying to train her not to jump on people is that 9 out of 10 strangers encourage it.

When they ask her breed and I tell them...they look at me as if to say "perhaps you are mistaken"...

Go figure...

• Gold Top Dog

willowchow

Hee! Hee! I get that as well. "He's very calm for an Aussie" 

I am around a lot of dogs and a lot of people and to be honest I don't hear a lot of breed discrimination. As a matter of fact I am generally shocked at how few breeds people even know - even dog people! I see more discrimination based on size and/or colour than breed. But even more than that are people who discriminate against the species. Doesn't matter what kind of dog you got - they hate it! LOL

• Gold Top Dog

i own bulldogs and used to own shepherds and dobermans and never really came across anyone who hated them.... well one person had a fear of ALL dogs... but she was a friend..

my inlaws hate my bulls.... well... they hate Kaydee because she growled my FIL once.. but only because he was acting squirrely around her - scared = Kaydee growling at you. she thinks you're up to no good if you stare at her too  long!

but FIL likes Ben... go figure.. Ben has that Mug typical of bulldogs. looks mean as all get out.. but harmless.

When i take them out in public all i get is complements.. but then again i dont really take them out very often. however i dont have to. i see a lot of bulldog owners in public, bulldogs in tow.. pleased as punch to have their bad dogs walking of flexy leads with pink plastic snap collars around their necks.. i think it depends where you live.

we have a lot of tough dog lovers round here.. mainly because they are hunting partners as well as pets, so they are more appreciated than they would be in other parts of the country.. or city. 

• Gold Top Dog

Not to down play how it feels to have people think your dogs are mean, but I so much prefer that to the people who rush up and pull a "friendly" assault. Caution, even misplaced caution, beats utter recklessness.

Now that I have Eko, people respond very well to him. He is adorable, after all. :) But in talking about my plans to get a ridgeback, I heard a whole bunch of "But they're so aggressive!" type comments.