Need some Beagle help

• Bronze

Need some Beagle help

Hey Guys,

As you can see this is my first post and I love these forums.  They are crammed full of info.

My wife and I recently had to put down my 13 year old Redbone Hound (late last summer) and are now ready to get a new addition to our family.  We had been renting and now have purchased a home so we are wanting a dog in the house. 

We have pretty much decided on a beagle.  She loves them and my first dog was a beagle.  I know some of you have beagles in your home, so I am asking for any info you could share.  I spend lots of time outdoors and my wife walks already so I am not to concerned about him getting enough energy. 

I would just like to know the ins and outs of a beagle as a house dog.  Thanks yall

• Gold Top Dog
    As you can see from my picture, I have six of them in my house (actually one was out of town at the time the pic was taken). They are wonderful dogs, love everyone, have stunning personalities. They are independent thinkers, they love you, but they dont need you. I love that about them. They do shed a little twice a year, but nothing awful. They can be difficult to housebreak, although I have had much success with crate training them. I have also found that they are big dogs in a small body and are tough minded and free willed. They can be hard to train, but once you break through the mental block they have and know how to get into their brain, they actually are quite easy.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions. I raise Beagles and show them in conformation and obedience and work with rescue, so have a bit of experience with them. There are several other Beagle breeders on the forum that I am sure will put in their input on living with these hounds.
    Are you looking to get a rescue or a puppy?
    • Bronze

Thanks for the quick reply, we would like a pup but will not rule out a rescue.  Wife will be home for good in May (has been in pharmacy school since we have been married) so we will not be getting one until after then.

I have read on here to stay away from backyard breeders, but here in MS there isn't an abundance of formidable breeders as you seem to be.  Do you know of a good source/list or something where I could locate one? 

• Gold Top Dog
    The best place to go is http://www.showbeagle.com/american.htm. There is a list of reputable breeders that have been screened and approved by a very well know, respected beagle Judge. I would recommend anyone off this list. There is also a Beagle rescue in your area http://members.petfinder.com/~MS97/mississippibeaglerescue.htm. Good places to start your search. If you decide on a puppy, it is best to research and talk to breeders now and most reputable breeders have a waiting list. My website has some good information on things to look for on a breeder and things to ask. You can see them at http://www.geocities.com/allegrobgls/puppies.htm.

Good luck in your search and as I said before, let us know if you have any other questions. We are all here to help!
    • Gold Top Dog

I'd also highly recommend Mostly Beagles rescue....they are a great org. Based in Olive Brach, MS.

Link To Rescue

• Gold Top Dog

LawnDoc

Thanks for the quick reply, we would like a pup but will not rule out a rescue.  Wife will be home for good in May (has been in pharmacy school since we have been married) so we will not be getting one until after then.

I have read on here to stay away from backyard breeders, but here in MS there isn't an abundance of formidable breeders as you seem to be.  Do you know of a good source/list or something where I could locate one? 

Keep in mind that most breed rescues have very extensive transportation networks.  I watch the German Shepherd board for chances to volunteer for transport and it's not rare to see dogs being moved from the east coast to the west coast by volunteers.  If you find a dog in rescue that is a good match, don't write it off because of state lines, etc. I also see people volunteering to pay transport costs in order to help place dogs.  Now this is for German Shepherds, but I'd imagine with a breed as popular as the Beagle, the Beagle rescues would have some sort of transport and volunteer network.

• Bronze

Well, Mostly Beagles says no fence, no beagle.  I sent them an email to ask.  Is this a problem I am going to run into everywhere.  We do not have plans to build a fence.

• Gold Top Dog

LawnDoc

Well, Mostly Beagles says no fence, no beagle.  I sent them an email to ask.  Is this a problem I am going to run into everywhere.  We do not have plans to build a fence.

Hmm, I would hope not.  I got both my dogs through a rescue and I do not have a fenced yard.  When I buy a home I will probably build one though (I rent). 

• Gold Top Dog

yep likely so. You might even run into issues with breeders...why do you guys not want/have a fence? Have you considered at least a small kennel run for when the hound is outside from time to time?

No fences, are why there are usually a ton of Beagles in rescue, if I may be frank. I have fences and mine have still gone wandering a time or two....now we have things secure. Took some work tho LOL Hounds can be impetuous!

They (rescues) do have to worry about that.

ETA: there're folks here have dogs and no fence without issue...Beagles even...but they do tend to wander...and recalls can be tricky. Perhaps if you try to speak with them about what your plans are for the daily life of the hound, where it will stay...how potty trips and exercise will be handled....etc. But honestly...buying one of those kennel kits from Tractor Supply could really help out a bunch.

ETA again...consider that many of the older hounds there are there because they wandered off, or ran off after some scent. they might even be chronic escape artists/door bolters/etc...that does happen with the scenthounds from time to time...so try to view it from their perspective.

• Bronze

I just had not planned on building a fence.  I guess if we really want a beagle I may have to or get a kennel.  I do understand the door bolter part cause amber, my past dog, was terrible  about trying to beat me out the door.

Thanks for your help guys, I will probably call over to mostly beagles and talk to them so I can tell them my plans and I can find out what they require.

Sorry RW for placing this in the general chat.  I'm a Newb

• Gold Top Dog

LawnDoc
    Sorry RW for placing this in the general chat.  I'm a Newb

hey no worries! Doing stuff keeps me outta trouble LOL!

I definitely think talking with Mostly Beags is a good idea...or any rescue.

Relationship is important with breeder or rescue. You want to know each other, feel comfy....feel like you can trust one another. Very important. You sound like a "good catch" for a rescue Beagle....hopefully it will work out, good luck and ask away if you have more ???'s

• Gold Top Dog

LawnDoc

That's basically rule #1 of Beagle ownership - no fence, no Beagle. I will not place a pup in a home that does not have a fenced in area ... Beagles are hunting dogs - it doesn't matter if you purchase on from a show breeder, go to a rescue, or buy a field bred pup, you're still getting a hound that is hard wired to independantly follow it's own nose & block out every other distraction ... Unfortunately, their owners are considered distractions when a pet Beagle is on an imaginary trail. Keep in mind this breed is one of very few purebred dogs that require no training whatsoever for field work. They need experience, but the instinct is so strong all the hunter has to do is place the dog in the woods and they're off. That's about the extent of training of the greatest field champions, and don't think for a second your pet Beagle's instincts have been washed out by one iota. Not only do Beagles require a fence, they must have a secure fence. I know there are many families who I have turned down on the basis of not having a fence who are adamant about getting a Beagle, and are going to get one anyway, from whomever doesn't care about the environment in which the pup will live. Please re consider this breed because we are not just blowing smoke ... Beagles cannot be trained to remain on your property, and no matter how well trained they seem - it's only an intimation of trained behavior. Never, ever trust a Beagle to obey you when it matters.

Beagle Pros/Cons
    http://houndmuzic.tripod.com/id33.html

Trust, A Deadly Disease
    http://www.sheltie.com/trust.htm

• Bronze

The rescue that we adopted our beagle from (www.tribeagles.org)  does not require fences for all of their beagles.  They leave it up to the foster mom/dad to decide.  There are many who specify "no fences/leash walks only" because so many beagles have a Houdini like ability to escape from even the most secure fence.  Much better for those dogs to be leash walked.

• Gold Top Dog

First of all congrats on looking to bring home a Beagle. I do not have a Beagle but a Foxhound (sorta like a Beagle on stilts) LOL

LawnDoc

Unfortunately yes and it infuriates me. I can understand hound rescues taking this stance to ward away certain owners but in my experience, they even enforce this with people who are offering good homes.  Friends of mine have turned to BYB's or chosen an entirely different breed because some hound rescues are so adament with the fence rule. IMO they should take this on a case by case basis and realize that to save lives, you cannot make the criteria to rescue so rigid that it alienates people. 

I count my lucky stars that my Foxhound was found by a friend of the family - I have no doubt that I would have been rejected had a rescue been placing him! Dodger gets 2-4 hours of on/off-leash exercise everyday, we do agility, flyball, tracking, rally and obedience but I have to jump through hoops and beg to rescue a hound (which is no guarantee that I'd be granted such a privilege) because I am missing a fence?  I personally think Dodger is better off without a fenced-in backyard - since I have to walk or drive places to exercise him properly/safely he ends up getting a heck of alot more stimulation and socialization. Without a backyard I don't have to worry about barrier aggression, escaping, or anything/one getting in and I don't have to worry about my backyard being ruined by poop/urine.    

A backyard does not equal a good hound owner or a happy hound.  A backyard should never be a dogs only source of exercise or socialization and IMO that is exactly what rescues are implying when they insist on fencing. Hounds can do their business and be exercised, socialized and trained without a fence so WHY it has become a stipulation to hound ownership is beyond me.

Sorry for the little rant but it is truly one of my biggest pet peeves as a hound owner! I hope that you are able to adopt a Beagle when the time is right! Hopefully if you build a relationship with a rescue or breeder you will find the right Beagle to bring home (with or without a fence)!

• Bronze

Thanks for all of your insights.  I have never had a house dog before so all of yalls experiences are very helpful.

I too can understand rescues and breeders stance on a fenced in area for your beagle to roam but I just hate the fact that someone does not look at it as a case by case policy.  If me and my wife were couch potatoes that came home from work and never beckoned the door again until the next morning, then yes, I need a fenced in yard so I can open the door and let him out and in.  But we are not, I do lawn care and landscaping so I am always outside doing something after work.  But I really love the breed so if I have to have a fence or kennel I will get one.  I spoke to my vet this afternoon and he made the point that most beagles are kept in a 8x8 kennel and anything bigger than that would work, so that would be an option.