High Desert advice

• Puppy

High Desert advice

Greetings and Bow Wow's,

I live in Nogales Arizona on the border with Mexico in the high desert at 4000 ft.  I am trying to figure out what breed would excel here. My 85 year young father lives with me. He was a hunter and gravitates toward the hunting breeds like German Shorthair Pointer, Vizsla, and Weimaraner. We also like the Jack Russells and various Coonhounds as well as the Airedale.

We have a decent sized fenced in yard of about 1/3 acre, with a pool. I worry about snakes, scorpions and centipedes as the hunting breeds are fairly relentless and fearless.It can get cold here at night and hot in the day yet there is a large varience in shade to sun, just as there is during night and day. I work, but Dad is usually at home. I do travel  for three weeks at a time twice a year. Otherwise, I am normally home within 24 hours.  

I believe we do not want to consider a long haired dog. Short or wire haired is perferred. Probably looking for an ideal range of 40-60 LBS. We have no other pets. Companionship is the principal reason yet alertness and protectiveness are desireable as well. However I am not looking for a guard dog more loyalty. There is a covey of quail living on my roof that I will probably have to eliminate.

I perhaps like the idea of a mature, well trained dog as opposed to a puppy. This is partly due to my father being 85 and my plans uncertain should he pass. Dad likes to take daily walks and I would like a dog with him for excersise.

Would anyone have any opinions, additions, comments or suggestions? Thanks for your valuable time. Spencer

• Gold Top Dog

Nogalesman
    He was a hunter and gravitates toward the hunting breeds like German Shorthair Pointer, Vizsla, and Weimaraner.

You might also look into the Vizsla, they are wonderful companion dogs.

• Gold Top Dog

I live in Reno, NV. I'm at about 4800 ft. elevation, it's considered high desert here also. I own a weimaraner.  He does fine.  I also have a JRT/Chi mix... whom moved from Hawaii with me.  She freezes here and I keep a coat on her whenever she's outside more than a quick potty and on very cold days I keep it on her all day long.  Logan, the weim, gets cold when you'd expect it, blowing, driving snow and under about 30, if he's out for more than a few minutes.  But I've taken him to the dogpark in some baaaaad weather and he did great.  So, for the most part, he's pretty tolerant doesn't seem that the altitude effects either of them.

The thing to keep in mind with a weim (or any of the breeds mentioned really) is that training is a must, these are hard headed, high energy dogs that need a way to outlet it.  Mine is still too young to do everything I want... but eventually we'll be doing 10+ mi hikes and biking regularly.  He's much happier and easier to live with when he's been exercised.  I also have been taking him through obedience classes... he's excelling at it, and loves learning.

Also, please when considering breeds, just make sure to go to a reputable breeder (versus an online dealer/pet store/backyard breeder) to prevent the health and temperament issues that are so prevalent in most of these breeds.  My weim came from a superb breeder and his personality and temperament is truly exceptional.  If you want help finding a breeder let me/us know... I'm sure we can recommend you to several.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

• Gold Top Dog

In addition to what's been suggested, I recommend checking the different breed rescues in your area, especially since you are entertaining the idea of going with a mature, well-trained dog. Maybe even a sedate (but still fairly active of course!) senior dog would be a good fit with your dad. 

Try these links:

http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/resources/rescues/az-rescues.html

http://www.petfinder.com

Good luck with your search!

• Gold Top Dog

Pure bred rescues ALWAYS have seniors looking for homes.... I wouldnt let distance fool you.  We have moved dogs from one coast to the other and from the northern border to the southerns (and in a timely manner).  I would look for dogs who started in a desert climate.... Saluki come to mind,,,, never off lead.... I think of Whippets and Greyhounds as well.  Love to be couch potatoes but would be ready for an on lead ramble just about any time.  There are plenty of hairy belgians,,, I would think mal over the long coated dogs...They have the have the visual intimation factor with respect to appearance and alertness.