Dogs acclimating to vastly different climates than breed was established in.

• Gold Top Dog

Dogs acclimating to vastly different climates than breed was established in.

My chihuahua loves it 110 F in the sun. However...He can hang out in the teens playing in the snow too!. When he was a puppy only weeks old he would go out to take care of business every 2-3 hours. Temps went down to single digits. He would still fuss around sniffin and finding just the right spots! Mugsey is now almost 3 years old! It is raining and 34 f. He's been out for aver an hour...without his raincoat on! He's not shivering. Wet yes. So Mugsey is living proof that dogs can acclimate to vastly differing climates than the breed originated in! Mugsey's brothers and sisters in Lancaster, CA shiver when it goes down in the 50's.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I can totally see that, my two are used to a very narrow range of temps. I guess I am too lol. I wonder what will happen if I move to somewhere cold for fellowship. I hope they will adapt.
    • Gold Top Dog
    They will do fine if you relocate. Just keep them warm with a nice sweater of jacket! I make real nice ones. It is best if they can acclimate when they are little babies. But Us mammals are quite resilient! By the way, your chihuahuas are very cute! I love chihuahuas too! They're great. All of them love to go under the covers. It is because they're south of the boarder brothers, sisters, and ancestors live and lived under ground. They still do in Mexico! They hang out in packs and are quite vicious too! I know of 2 guys who tried to capture one and the pack attacked them. I met the one guy and asked what happened to him. Looked like a bob cat ravaged him! But no! It was a bunch of little chihuahuas! Amazing! They go for the throat in the wild like a pit bull only miniature! So becareful not to get yours to mad!!!
    • Gold Top Dog

Zhi's original genes go back to the African continent (she is a Chinese crested hairless dog).  But, she does fine on cold days as long as she has a coat to keep off the cold wind and any moisture - just like I would.  I basically dress her as I feel I'd need to be comfy, as she does not have a typical canine fur coat.

Border Collies are UK dogs and like the cold far more than they like the heat, from what I've seen.  But they can acclimate pretty well.  When we are working in the summertime, they get to going in pretty hot humid conditions.  Again, if it's not comfortable for me, I won't push them either. 

• Gold Top Dog

My German Shepherd does great in the winter, being a double-coated breed.  I cringe when I see breeds like this wearing "coats".  She actually gets hot and starts panting after a few hours of napping so I let her out and she runs in the snow, eating it and rolling in it.  If I try to put dog clothes on her she is miserable hot even though it's snowy and below zero windchills.  In the summer she was always hot.  I can't imagine all the German Shepherds living in souther Florida!  I suppose Kenya will have to adjust if we move south. 

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

I can't imagine all the German Shepherds living in souther Florida!  I suppose Kenya will have to adjust if we move south. 

I see them doing it everyday, and I still don't know how they do it, or any of the outdoor dogs down here.  A Neighbor across the canal from me has an all outdoor black German Shepherd and a Jack Russel.  I feel so sorry for the poor things outside all day, and bored witless.  Half the time they see me and Kirby out in the yard the German barks like crazy.  It's especially annoying at times because the way our property is set up on hills to protect from flooding, the dogs can see right up to the back of our house and often bark when they see the light flipped on when I pee Kirby at night.  Thankfully Kirby just ignores them.  What I can't figure out though is they also apparently have like a pack of 4-6 other ankle biter size dogs, and another German Shepherd that they keep indoors.  I guess the unlucky German Shepherd and Jack Russel didn't make the grade to be worthy of living indoors with the rest of the family.  =(

I feel so sorry for so many of the dogs in our neighborhood.  Because everyone has at least an acre, a lot of people seem to think the perfect thing for their big yard is some unlucky big dog to sit and pant in it.  My neighbors have a Shiba Inu and an English Bull dog that are kept as outside dogs.  Yes, you heard me, an English Bulldog with it's delicate skin and short muzzle out in hot South Florida heat.  Worst thing I found out from another neighbor is the only reason they got them was to breed them for money, which they already did.  I wasn't happy about the fact that the bred the poor things, but to learn that was the only real motivation behind getting the dogs is just sickening, especially considering the fact that poor bulldog had to have a C-section to give them those pups.  Then they repay the dogs by leaving them to rot in the backyard. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Wow! What a cute pair you have there!! The Chihuahua is my favorite bred too. My Mugsey goes with me everywhere. I make all of his clothes. Jackets and sweaters, hats, booties, etc. I have these double fleece hoodies that keep him dry in the deep snow like we get here in Mt Shasta. 4 feet on the flat right now! I'll post a pic in my gallery to view of real snow country! Thanks for the great reply! It's all informative and fun!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've seen the Chinese Crested before. They are kool dogs for sure. They have interesting personalities! I think they are mysterious! If any aliens are truly visiting us, maybe one of their dogs got loose and mated with a snouzer?!?!?!?!? What do you think?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Your Kirby is a really neat looking dog! a Pappiyon right? I like your pic you have enhanced. Keep up the great doodling!
    • Gold Top Dog

Poor Rosco hasn't adapted to the NY weather. He is in clothes from about November - April, indoors and out. He gets cold quickly and will shake. You'd think an Am Staff would do better than that. I wonder if it has to do with his repressed immune system...

• Gold Top Dog
    Just keep that Rosco bundled up! You can get doggie booties for him. I actually know where to get some really good water proof ones! The snow will ball up into ice globs on their feet. It's weird.
    • Gold Top Dog

Rascal and I both grew up in Southern CA, but he's adjusted to the New England cold better than I have. If we're just going outside for a potty I don't put his coat on unless it's below 10*F, but I usually start shivering (in MY coat) before he does, just with his fur.

Of course, when we very very first moved, the minute it got below 60* he'd be shivering. I told him to suck it up, and I guess he took my advice to heart! Stick out tongue  (He still does appreciate his doggy coats for longer walks, though. Especially if it's windy.)