Beagles in blue merle? not...

• Gold Top Dog

Vets aren't really considered experts on breeds. Chance is SUPER cute!!! I'm no Beagle expert, so I'll let the others chime in, but what a handsome boy!

• Gold Top Dog

he's cute - I would say he's a beagle/cattle dog mix. he looks to have more of a ticking pattern, not merle - but it's hard to see in some of the pictures - I could be way off!

• Gold Top Dog

That is not the merle pattern. That's blue tick and I'd wonder if he might have some blue tick coonhound in him. Coloring to me, anyway, looks more like the hound than the beagles with ticking. As someone else as mentioned, vets aren't necessarily experts on breed identifying. Seems to be a lot of different breeds, with this blue merle pattern showing up. All I can say is it is sad that people are so gullible and will spend so much money when they can rescue one of the mixes from a shelter that is a very special dog and a rarity. As far as AKC registered, I don't think that proves anything, when you've got someone that is just in it for the money. If they have 2 purebreds registered, they can use those dogs to get the papers for the pups but still be using a different male to breed. I've heard of instances of people breeding their dog and the dog getting over the fence and breeding with another dog and the pups not being purebred but they still got papers. Those ones did not sell as purebreds because they were obviously different. However when a person has bred the coloring in and bred back to the purebred so that eventually you will get a dog that is quite similar then folks do fall for it and spend big bucks for dogs like these merle beagles.

• Gold Top Dog

your hound is a bluetick...not a merle. Bluetick and redtick are seen often enough in hunting lines..looks very like any bluetick hound that is pictured on a hunting breeder site. HERE IS ONE.

How big? height and weight? Blueticks often have a very different look to the face because of the eyes and markings...gives them a quite different appearance than a traditional tri or red & white.

I would say Beagle...depending on how big. It's not unheard of for hunters to mix something else in there...

Yeah...vets know a lot but breeds for certain are not one of them, unless he is a longtime houndman. But Beagle isn't over the top.

• Puppy

Yeah, I figured he was mixed with a blue tick hound.  I just knew he had beagle in him . . . i did not pay for a rarity as some of you might think.  I adopted because so many pets don't have homes and I grew up with dogs my whole life.  As a law student I just wanted a pet especially since I moved into a home with a fenced yard rather than my old apartment that did not allow pets.  Chance was on their website and he was in the right weight range ( I have a back problem and can't lift heavy things or animals or people for that matter).  He is still a little heavy when I have to pick him up at the vet or when another dog approaches (he is 29 pounds).  He was 20 when I rescued him from the shelter, but I have read a lot on beagles and apparently they are known to stop eating when in kennels or shelters. 

He was the first dog in the crates and I fell in love with his sweet and sad face.  I could not leave him.  I was going to adopt a basset hound that already had a foster mom, but since Chance was in the shelter I took him since he had no home.  He is so great, though hyper at times, but that is fine! He is young and loving and definitely deserved a home as all pets usually do.  my parents paid 1200 for our double dapple dachshund and I have always refused to pay so much for any dog rare or not.  Too many have no homes or families . . . and I am glad I could Chance a great home (my two roommates here at school love him and he is grateful). 

Does anyone know about separation anxiety though?  Not sure if this something he has always had or just got while being abandoned. 

Thanks for any more info on his breed. 

Let me know if this link to his pictures works or not.  I think the consensus might be beagle with blue tick hound (which I kind of assumed before). 

Thanks! 

http://petsite.com/int-en/p_pet_gallery/u5511/p6461/g5666 

(copy and paste it into your address bar)

• Gold Top Dog

....looks like a basset/beagle to me.... but i may be wrong.

• Gold Top Dog

misti703

I think the consensus might be beagle with blue tick hound (which I kind of assumed before). 

Thanks! 

I just want to be clear that I don't think your dog is a mix BECAUSE of the bluetick. 100% all Beagle...come in bluetick. It is a color acceptable and often seen in running hounds. I think your hound could be a mix because if he is a lot larger or heavier thana  running hound...that could point to another breed. If he is within the parametes of size for a Beagle then I don't really see a lot that IS NOT, Beagle.

Just wanting to clarify Smile

• Puppy

NOT, it`s not a recognized color.
    • Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    acceptable and often seen in running hounds

She didn't say "in the AKC show ring". (emphasis by me)

• Gold Top Dog

He looks like the blue tick beagles my grandpa raised when we were growing up... they are very popular around here. I'd never seen a "normal" beagle until I was in my teens, unless it was on tv or in a magazine.....