Advice on Doberman rescue

• Silver

Advice on Doberman rescue

I am comtemplating adopting a 1.5 year old male doberman.  I have never owned a doberman before.  I have owned a Siberian Husky, Husky/Shepherd mix, and currently have a 2 year old Newfoundland & two cats.  I will be going to meet this dog at an adoption event at a pet store this Sunday.  He is currently in a foster home and from what I've read on his post, he was under weight when rescued, is very focused on food, and is quite nervous in new situations. 

Has anyone out there adopted dobermans like this before?  Do you have any advice on what I should look for when meeting him or methods I should use to evaluate him?  From the things I've read when researching the breed it's said that a doberman of shy or nervous demeanor is not desireable.  I don't want to hold his current nervousness against him, he's probably just had a bad start in life and needs to learn what a stable and loving home is all about.

Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated! Smile

Thanks! Newfiepaws

• Silver

The phrase "nervous in new situations" would make me proceed with caution. It may mean that when nervous he could be pushed into biting, whereas another dog might not. This could be a project dog.

• Silver

Thanks for the word of caution.  I will watch how he interacts with other dogs, people, and children while at the pet store this weekend.  He's been in a home environment for a couple of months so hopefully the foster "mom" can clue me in to any aggressive behaviors.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• Gold Top Dog

The most problematic issue with nervousness in dobes, it usually points out a temperment flaw.  That flaw can result in a fight or flight reaction when stressed.  Food motivated dogs with good bite inhibition (will take the food without taking a piece of your finger too) can usually be helped past nervous reactions.  The key is LOTS of socialization, first from considerable distance so the dog can develop control while the stressors are more distant.  Basic obedience classes, even if you just go and observe the first couple of lessons, maybe even the whole session.  You really need information about any bite history that may be available.  Many rescue situations will not adopt out a dog with a bite history, so there is a chance you wont get much in this area.  Warning snaps, if you can identify the situations in which they occur may be an indicator.  Personaly (after 26+ years in dobes)  I am far more concerned about fear based aggression in dobes than other forms of aggression type behaviors.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

depends on the rescue and how much they understand about Dobes.  Most are "suspicious", not "nervous" in new situations - they were bred to be alert protection animals, so they are on the lookout for abnormal behavior and are suspicious of strangers automatically.  Thus, do NOT expect any kind of immediate "magical bond" - he's still suspicious of you in just one visit.  Dobes want to bond with their "person", but they have to trust and accept you first.  (And they will likely bond to one person - an adult, but will protect any younger "pups" in the pack.)

Personally, the first thing that stood out to me was that you have a cat - Dobes can have some good drive to chase cats or other small furry animals - particularly squirrels.  If there's any opportunity to see him around small furry things running around, I'd take it, because I'd want to see how much interest he shows in wanting to chase it. (And I mean live things - they know a stuffed toy from a real animal)

"Very focused on food" would tell me that you should also be prepared for him to counter surf or steal food - do you have kids in your family?  That would be an area to be hyper-vigilant on and work to train him to resist his urges to steal food (if he does).  During the meeting, I'd use the treats to see what obedience skills he knows and whether he tries to force the issue and steal the treat when he wants it - that's a pushy dog that will take more training than one who respects humans.

I'd want to know how he got into rescue - was he relinquished by the owner?  An 18month old male Dobe can be particularly bratty and pushing boundaries (and his weight) around - and this is a prime age when they are given up by owners.  They can get "big for their britches".

If there's any major advice I could give - it's that a Dobe doesn't need just a loving home - they need a structured home with strong boundaries - meaning, you have to be consistent about what is expected/allowed and what is not - they are too smart and will try to cajole or bully you into letting them get away with things.  Once they see that they can, they push every boundary and can eventually run your house if you're not careful.  You as the owner need to be a leader who is looking out for his best interests and thus need to be firm as equally as you are loving.  Your Dobe will need to respect you almost as much as he loves you.

• Silver

Wow, thanks for all the great advice.  I do not have any children and at 39 years of age don't really plan on having any.  I absolutely would take him to obedience school.  I like the recommendation of taking treats with me, and I'll see what commands he already knows.  What are your thoughts regarding same sex dogs of similar age living in the same house?  The foster mom said she has observed this dog interacting with 25 other dogs of different sexes and he got along great with all but 3, and those 3 were aggressive toward's him first. 

As far as food goes, my Newf is a chow hound himself and with his size he can easily reach the counters so I've already have had to work on that issue with him.  I will be taking my Newf on Sunday to the pet store to meet the dobe (Axel) and so I hope to see how they interact.  I guess I will ask the rescue group if there is any way we could "test" him around cats.  Maybe, if the pet store has cats for adoption I could see if he's intetrested in them.  Not sure how adequate that will be though since they will be behind pexi-glasss and all.

Here is the email that the foster mom sent to me today, I would be interested in hearing your opionion on what she has to say.

Tricia,
    I am thinking that Axel would fit, my only concern really is the cats.  I have no idea how he would be with them since we don't have any.  He is submissive enough with people that I don't think you would have trouble 'correcting' him and he will surely learn to leave them alone if you have food and reward him for ignoring them.

The vet did not say anything to us about a murmur, he was found to be healthy b/4 surgery and was almost back to normal the evening after his surgery wanting to eat and run around. 

When we got him he was nearly 'starved to death'.  I'm guessing he weighed about 35 lbs and was literally a walking skeleton.  We fed him for about a month and treated him for kennel cough and got enough weight on him to get him neutered.  Since then we've had him about another month, I'm guessing he weighs about 65 lbs and could stand to gain at least 15 more.  With food - he will gobble everything in site as fast as he can, but he is not aggressive at all about it, just in an extreme hurry to finish.  I believe he would eat until he had to purge, so his food intake will need to be monitored for his safety.  Preferably he should be fed several times a day.  Currently we are feeding him 2 cups a food 3 times per day sometimes 4.  He is nervous at Petco on Sundays but we continue to show him there to get him exposure to going places.  There have been about 3 dogs out of maybe 25 that have not liked him a nd when threatened by them he would not back down of his own will, that is why I'm suggesting a pet meet.  He had an adoption appointment last week - the gentlemen fell in love immediately but his 5 yr old female mixed breed didn't like him.  Overall w/ people he loves everyone and once he settles he is quite loving and willing to obey and would prefer to lay in your lap.  We do think he is pure bred dobie, however we did pull him from Animal Control with no history and have no way to prove such a claim, therefore we must refer to him as mixed.  He is very doberman in personality.  He is energetic, a clown, a big baby, and yet pushy when he wants something, and usually he just wants attention.  In addition to being starved of food he was likely starved for attention and treasures any and all attention someone will give him.

Axel does like to play with other dogs he just didn't like the three dogs that wanted to attack him.  He plays with my 3 yr old boxer (70lbs) as well as a 40lb lab mix that I dog sit for.  He was submissive to a 3-4mth old rott mix pup that I fostered when I first got him.  And he played nicely with a 35 lb staffy bull terrier that I was fostering.  He knows 'sit', 'down', and 'come'.  He is working on learning to walk better on lead.  He is also learning the command 'off' because he does jump up for attention.  Once he's had a good run, he does settle down.  He is a nervous 'spinner'.  He whines and walks in circles when he is nervous.  We feed him in his crate and he rushes to get in.  He is quiet and clean in his crate.  He has not been loose in our house for any length of time so I do not know if he would 'tell you' when he needs to go out, we just take him out on a regular schedule.
    • Silver

Thank you for the advice and tips on dobies.  If you check my most recent post I put the email for Axel's foster mom in there and I would be interested in seeing what opinions you may have what she has had to say.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Gold Top Dog

Based on the email,  I would meet and greet in at least two other locations than the pet store over 3 or 4 days if possible.  The behavior level described is typical of dobermans.  The eating pattern will occur with dobes who have not been starved (I had one) but had hypothyroidism.  That can be checked with a blood test and managed even if the condition does exist.  The nervousness described would make me develop a very structured plan if I brought him home.  No furniture, no laps, etc.  Lots of pets etc, but not cuddling on furniture.  I would make sure the dog spent some time crated while the other dog got attention, then switch so the other dog is crated while the dobe is out.  I would likely use that for indoor obedience practice.  This strategy can help teach self control.  Be prepared for whining and mini fits, reward the quiet behavior of the crated dog on occassion.  Keep the sessions short 3 to 4 minutes.  I would also have some alone time for both dogs in crates even when your are home.

When getting dog out of crate, no explosion or charging out.  Making the dog wait and walk out of the crate is important.  Now dont be surprised if you get airborne behavior another stride out.  One of my dogs spent the first two years of her life airborne.

Do not walk the dogs together until both dogs have excellent leash manners and verbal cues were the only tool necessary to refocus and deal with distractions (dobes are reactive in nature and will feed of each other when there is a squirrel or other distraction).  No sense in practicing bad behavior (voice of experience here).

Once the dog has been in obedience classes for a couple of sessions, I suggest asking those individuals you trust at the training facility to take your dog while you go somewhere out of sight.  This behavior is needed for CGC but also working self confidence buildings in both of you.

Dont baby the dog.  Be structured and have high expectations the dog can meet because you have structured the environment to support the dog.

Do specific controled interactions with the cat.  Also have a safe haven for the cat (you can cut off the bottom of a door of a closet as one option) My brother in law used this idea to restrict access to litter box and food.  He actually turned a closet into a cat room with climbing shelves, scratching posts, etc.  The door was cut in half just above the knob and again at the bottom about four inches.  A bit extreme but a neat idea.

Disclaimer:  The ideas presented in this post are the result of my training as an educational behaviorist, my experience with dobes, and my teaching and problem solving with rescues and public obedience classes.  I have used or observed each of these strategies.

• Silver

Thanks for your advice, if things work out I will definietly try those training methods.  Why do you advise no cuddling on furniture?  Is it ok to cuddle on the floor?  My bathroom is where my litterbox is located.  I keep the bathroom door closed at all times and have put in a kitty door.  The cats like it and it seems to keep my newf out of trouble in that area. Do you have any concerns regarding both dogs being males? They are both neutered.

I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all the advice.  I just want to make the best decision possible.

• Gold Top Dog

I suggest no cuddling on furniture or access to furniture because dobes are pushy and give an inch, they take a mile.  Possession of furniture can also lead to rumblings in the masses.  One dog has a sport and none are allowed within whatever boundary has been determined by the dog on the furniture.  Now cuddling on the floor or in my house it was "toe pets".  You sat in your chair, the dobe laid on the floor in front of you.  You used your feet to pet (puffy socks were great for this).  Lots of physical praise when training as well.

In my home, furniture is invitation only, and not until you have very nice manners.  Any grumbles you are on the floor in a heart beat.  

As to two males,  I think it could be just fine.