Need some advice on this breed.

• Bronze

Need some advice on this breed.

I'm not a first time owner but am a first time owner with two young kids. I am looking for a puppy that will do well with a 5 and 2 year old. I have had a golden retriever and samoyed both were awsome. With my nephews, I found this one can someone tell me the breed or mix or some idea.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/made2000/puppy.jpg[/IMG]

• Gold Top Dog

An adult rescue that has been evaluated by skilled foster home.  It is not a good idea to bring a puppy into a house with children so small.  The time and attention needed to raise and train all three is spread too thin.  Puppies have a number of behaviors and children have a number of behaviors that when paired together develop the chance for bites and vigorous play in which situation all three are potentially in danger.

There are plenty of older (but still quite young) dogs, with adult control of bladder and bowel looking for homes.  In fact, I just saw an article in our local paper that owner turn ins due to mortage woes and other financial problems are on the rise.  Consider your local shelter if they have evaluators available or rescue organziations that have evaluations as part of their process.  The evaluations should look at you and your situation as well as the dog.  Your breeds of choice have some  very good rescue networks;  just google the breed name and the word "rescue".

• Gold Top Dog

Consider a Keeshond.  We have a keeshond mix and she is an AMAZING family dog.  Every time I see one at the dog park their owners say the same thing.  We have two kids also and she's just so sweet and gentle and very tolerant!

• Silver

Golden Retrievers and Samoyeds are both very very good with kids. So your past dogs may have set the bar very high when it comes to behavior with kids.

Keeshond are similar in temperament to Samoyeds IMHO so that could be a good recommendation.

I think Collies, Samoyeds, and Newfoundlands are the best breeds as far as loving and being good with kids.

• Bronze

Hi,

Please don't take this the wrong way.  When my kids were ages 2-5 they really could have cared less about having a p uppy vs a dog.  To them just having a dog around was exciting and fun.  Saying  that.....please consider adopting a young, six mos -2 years, dog.  One that has been in foster care and the foster parent knows the personality.  Also, potty trained.

A puppy takes a lot of time.  I probably spend 2 hours a night with my Border Collie.  Not to mention obedience classes a couple nights a week

A major mistake I made was not taking seriously the dog that wants to be the alpha or thinks he has to be the alpha.  You said you have had dogs in the past, just not with two young children. Then you may not be aware that some dogs will actually compete with a small child .  When there are small children most dogs consider the kids equal or lower in the "pack" then they are.  Resulting in aggression from the dog. Nipping when the child goes near a food dish/toy or whatever.  I think, personally, this is why so many dogs end up in the pound or shelters.  Because they were "mean" to a child.  The dog was "aggressive " and growled.  Most dogs do this because they haven't been trained right, not because they are "bad" or "mean" dogs. It's sad that so many dogs end up killed each year because the owner didn't take the time to learn proper training.  I"m not saying this is YOU. I'm just saying in general......

If you are going to get a puppy , no matter what breed it is, please do some reading first.  It's not always about the breed, as much, as it is how we train the puppy and ourselves.   There are more aggressive breeds I would avoid, that's for sure.

I had a newfoundland when my kids were as young as your children are now. She was a doll and I'd suggest a newfie to anyone.  They are BIG and they do knock the kids over, on accident.  Just make sure if you go with a large breed dog you have time to walk and exercise that dog a couple times a day.  Their hips need it.   

If you buy from a breeder  please contact your local , for that breed, group.  They can give you names of good breeders and not back yard, mill breeders.  Those of which don't take into consideration the stud/bitches health record then produce pups that will not be healthy.  Last time I looked for a Newfoundland , in Mi., they were going for 1,800-2,400 from a good breeder.  Well worth the price if you want a healthy dog.

I am adopting a dog in the next week or two.  I've talked to several foster parents on which dog may be best for my home.  The one that will come live here has never shown signs of aggression with cats (I have three), does well with other dogs , and has been well socialized with children. 

Anyway, just some thoughts.  I hope you find the best doggie for your family.  Dogs and Kids should just be together!

Hugs, Java

• Gold Top Dog

to answer the OP about what breed that pup is...  looks to me like a long line of lab/shepherd crosses. MAYBE some bulldog of some sort. but too young to tell with that picture and at such a young age.

if you're home a lot, or if SOMEONE is going to be home then a puppy is not necessarily a bad idea. but the adults must resign themselves to the fact that:

puppies chew

pee constantly

chew

poop constantly

pee and poop and chew

bite, which is part of the chewing.. which is really just teething, like a human baby

they'll jump up on you, which is cute when they're small.. but annoying and dangerous when they're over 40lbs..

they move at a fast pace constantly(which can overwhelm kids) then they fall flat into a coma like sleep, which is NOT a good time for the kids to play with them..

its going to be constant supervision for all involved. the teething and rapid pace will eventually go away as the pup gets older.. ONLY with training and firm boundaries.

now.. everything i have just said was never even once a consideration when my own parents got us a puppy or a dog..... we survived Wink but i will be honest... with my own kids i wont be having such a lackadaisical attitude about it.

i think you should introduce your children first to what ever dog or puppy you are interested in, or introduce them to dogs belonging to a friend or relative. have your kids ever interacted with dogs before? or any animal? some kids, not all, can be unnaturally gentle with animals.. my oldest son had his own kitten(not on purpose) when he was only 7 months old. i brought home this homeless kitten bound for the shelter. i agreed to find it a home, but instead this cat took up residence on the tray of my son's walker. and my son would stroke this kitten from head to tail. my OTHER son however..... not so. we call him "Mongo" for a reason... he just sorta crashes into and mauls everything.. people, animals, objects. all the same to him. 

• Gold Top Dog

Like everyone has said, puppies can be very time consuming. They tend to be full of energy, full of poo, and have a desperate desire to chew on anything they see. An adult or waiting a little while might be easier on your nerves.

But as far as breeds go, a newfoundland would be awesome. Great pyrenees are also very good with children when raised with them. Both of these breeds are very large, slow moving, and typically very calm. They seem to handle all the running, screaming, and rough grabby hands a little better than some of the smaller breeds. Typically very good natured and protective of children.