rwbeagles-Is your dog's temperament, typical...

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles-Is your dog's temperament, typical...

Of it's breed? read on...

What temperament do you consider typical for your dog's breed(s)?

Is your dog's temperament representative/typical according to your description above?

If not...how does it differ?

Would you characterize the differences as positive or negative within your home and lifestyle?

• Gold Top Dog

I'm pretty impressed with the information on the B&T given here.  Marlowe fits the standard given there (temperament doesn't play a huge role in the official ABTCC breed standard which basically says they should be friendly and neither too shy nor vicious) very well, but he may be a little bit more "up the butt" of his handler than your average coonhound. He's still quite independent and extremely self-centered, but his attention and focus work with me in agility has been really good, better than I expected. He even sometimes borders on...dare I say it? Velcro! But only when it suits him. Also, B&Ts should be highly intelligent but I'm pretty sure that Marlowe's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. I know they get that rep because of their training difficulties, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's more just a general he ain't that bright. It's fine, dogs that are too smart scare me!

The velcroness is actually a little bit of a negative for me--that's not what I'm really looking for in a dog, but since it's not a constant thing with him (and his desire to be with me probably has a huge amount to do with my proximity to food, possession of opposable thumbs, and occupation of soft, comfortable locations) I'm fine with it. I fostered this tendency for a long time because I wanted to take a bit of the edge off the natural independence of the breed (given that we live in a city and he does need to pay attention to me for his own safety) and I may have overdone it a bit. The intelligence? Well, it cuts both ways. He may be easier to train if he was smarter, but it would also be way harder to manage him. As it is he is kept in his safe room by one tiny baby gate that he's never even dreamed of leaping over even though he easily could, and he's kept out of the cat's room with the yummy catbox crunchies and cat food by the same arrangement. Conrad can open doors if they are already open just a tiny crack, either by pulling with his paw or pushing with his nose--Marlowe just stands there and stares at it and waits for someone to come along and open it for him (though who knows, maybe he is the smart one!). I seem to muddle along with his training just fine despite his occasional total denseness, so I'm going to go with the low IQ being a plus.

• Gold Top Dog

The aussie std is:

Aussies are not content to be couch potatoes.  For the most part, however, these are high energy dogs who need a purpose in their lives-a job as it were.  

Very true - Neiko is no couch potato and definitely needs something to do every single day. He follows me around with great interest when I'm working around the house and yard, trying to figure out what i'm doing and how he can help. 

Running, jumping, and rough-housing are all a part of being a normal Aussie.

Yep, unfortunately most non-aussie owners don't understand this and think that the aussie is being aggressive. 

The great intelligence of these dogs, necessary to out-think and control livestock, can be detrimental when left untrained and unused.  

I can see where this would be a problem in a bored untrained aussie. Neiko hasn't tried to out think me yet though.

Aussies learn very quickly,

Neiko is a very fast learner. 3 tries and he usually has it. It's awesome to watch.

Although many Aussies are friendly with everyone, the Australian Shepherd as a breed tends to be somewhat reserved and cautious around strangers.  

This is where Neiko deviates from the standard. He's not reserved with anyone. 

Aussies are often quite protective of their family and property

Check! 

To maintain their high energy levels, typical active Aussies may eat more than other more sedate dogs of similar size, so be prepared to feed plenty of high quality food.

This is so true, and it's actually interesting. Having a high energy high stamina dog like a husky - who is built to go far on little food vs. a high energy, high stamina aussie who nearly eats me out of house and home. Strange how dogs have developed over the years. 

whimsical sense of humor

Very very true!

So the only real difference is reservation with strangers. I'm glad that he's not a reserved dog. I go a lot of places and take my dogs with me every where. I'd rather have them friendly and attention seeking then aloof. 

• Gold Top Dog

Nora is about as belgian as a belgian can get.  Speed of light, reactive, intelligent, active, stand ground, accepting of strangers when asked (but couldnt really care less).  Dess misses the boat on courage.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

From AKC:

Pharaoh Hound

Temperament
    Intelligent, friendly, affectionate and playful. Alert and active. Very fast with a marked keenness for hunting, both by sight and scent.

Intelligent:  Yes, so much that it is actually frightening.

Friendly:  Sometimes.  Most of the time he's aloof and unconcerned.  He likes new people but on his terms.  New dogs the same.  He generally doesn't get along with non-pharaoh males, unless he's known them for a while -OR- they are calm and non-interested in him.

Affectionate:  To those that he knows, he's very affectionate-but again on his terms.  He's not the type of dog that will slather one with licks (unless one spilt liver flavored anything on their face.)

Playful:  Very, but only when he's not in hunting mode.

Alert and Active:  These dogs do have an "Off" switch indoors.  They notice the slightest changes of any and all things.  Move a branch, they need to investigate.  Hang a new picture or painting-it might be barked at for a few hours before it becomes "normal."   As far as active goes, these dogs are the marathon/decathalon athletes of the canine world.  They will go until they can't go any longer, and that can be 12-16 hours of non-stop going-provided they are in good health and have been fed adequately.  They were bred to hunt from dusk to dawn several nights per week, and they will do so if given the opportunity.

Fast: Both in learning and in true speed.  PHs can accelerate from zero speed to top speed in roughly 5-6 strides.  That's 0 to 35-40 mph in a few feet.  

Marked keenness for hunting both by sight and scent:  Not to mention hearing. If I were asked to describe these dogs I would say that they are the perfect hunting dog.  Able to hunt singly or in packs.  They have amazing quickness and agility.  Eyes that pick up the slightest movement, ears that hone in on sounds even underground. 

They also can track and trail with the best of the scenthounds.  Without training they will pick up and trail a scent, and if they lose the trail they will circle (rapidly mind you) in ever widening circles until the trail is reacquired.  They do this faster than any other hound I've seen. 

Additional info: 

They do well in an apartment setting only if they're given the opportunity to run several times a week or taken for daily long walks.  

They are highly food motivated.  So much so that one may end up with a padlock on one's refrigerator due to the breakins that ensue after the dog figures out how to open the door.  

They bark.  There's a reason that the majority of the Pharaoh Hounds in the US have been debarked;  They have a piercing bark that travels long distances and seems to not lose any volume at all.  (It does a hunter no good at night if his dogs are on the trail and he cannot find them-so a loud voice with distinctive barking is very important.)  If you have more than one PH, the barking is contagious.  If one barks, the rest follow suit.  Why?  Because they think their voices are the second most wonderful thing in the world.  (The first being themselves!) 

They are typical hounds that do what they do and if you're not in on it, no big deal.  They will not hesitate to steal (better than any dog you've ever imagined) and when they succeed they are quite pleased with themselves. 

If you have a Pharaoh as part of a multi-dog household, be advised that a) by 6 months the pharaoh will be in control-or be planning the least invasive way to take control of your other dogs. b) your pharaoh will constantly start trouble and then disappear-seeming to be completely innocent of any mischief when found.  c) Your pharaoh will NOT back down from any challenge that comes from outside of the pack and will fight.  d)  These dogs, when on a trail, are completely and utterly focused on the prey.  They will cross roads, highways, open fields and anything else without concern for life or limb.  They should never be trusted, even "just this once." 

• Gold Top Dog

it's breed?

German Shepherd dog (specifically, mostly west German working lines)

I go by the FCI standard (though it stresses protection and guardianship a little more than I like) and also Schutzhund, a sport developed to specifically test German Shepherds in everything the breed should excel at (obedience, agility, protection, tracking, etc).

"With an effervescent temperament, the dog must also be cooperative, adapting to every situation, and take to work willingly and joyfully. He must show courage and hardness as the situation requires to defend his handler and his property. He must readily attack on his owner's command but otherwise be a fully attentive, obedient and pleasant household companion.  He should be devoted to his familiar surroundings, above all to other animals and children, and composed in his contact with people. All in all, he gives a harmonious picture of natural nobility and self-confidence.

Sound nerves, alertness, self-confidence, trainability, watchfulness, loyalty and incorruptibility, as well as courage, fighting drive and hardness, are the outstanding characteristics of a purebred German Shepherd Dog. They make him suitable to be a superior working dog in general, and in particular to be a guard, companion, protection and herding dog."

Is your dog's temperament representative/typical according to your description above?  If not...how does it differ?

Yes and no.  Yes - Kenya is very intelligent, controlled, alert, versatile, hopelessly devoted to one person, always ready to work but very much able to quietly settle in the house, aloof towards strangers, very tolerant as far as meeting other dogs or strangers wanting to pet her, etc.  She is very high energy and has intense working drives.  No - Kenya has terrible nerves and no courage.  It is a shame considering her pedigree, her great structure, and her working drives.  Her smarts, athletic abilities, and drives just cannot make up for her weak nerves.  I do consider a very strong character one of the most important factors of a German Shepherd.  I'm NOT talking about a dog being aggressive, reactive, protective, guardy, etc, but a dog that will do ANYTHING it is trained and commanded to do. "Apathy, weak nerves or over excitability, shyness" are faults according to the FCI standard, all which can sometimes describe Kenya.

Would you characterize the differences as positive or negative within your home and lifestyle?

Both.  Sometimes her nerves are a stress factor for me, particularly when we have people over than don't behave appropriately around her, yelling her name and reaching at her face.  I also would have liked a starter dog for Schutzhund, but she won't be that dog.  Maybe we could get a BH (obedience), AD (endurance) and do some tracking, but she really is not suited for any ring sport.  However, when I read about some of the issues SchH-competitive acquaintances sometimes have to deal with, I am eternally grateful that I was given a dog with such unflappable household manners and self-control.  This also gives me the chance to build and shape her confidence the way *I* want it to be, rather than starting with a great working dog that is overly confident indoors and is constantly testing boundaries and making a mess.

• Gold Top Dog
      with Children: yes (with supervision and proper socialization)
      with other pets: can be.. high prey drive!
      with dogs: can be... high prey drive!

Socialization requirements: very high, this dog is confident and intelligent, if they don't have the tools to suitably assess a situation it becomes dangerous

Ha....well no surprise there that is true!

Temperament Notes: physically and mentally one of the ultimate canine athletes

Ah, she is a lil athlete my crazy girl!

Training requirement: not as high as would be expected but definitely required to help with socializing and general guidance of an impulsive and clever dog

Eh, Rory was super easy to train but requires a steady and firm level of obediance....if you give a inch........maybe its cause she is a spoiled female, lol! Or maybe its that I am harder on her because of her breed, I always want her to be on her best behavior. For example a corgie came into my work office the other day, off leash and running amock. My first thought was "if that was a pit bull that wouldnt fly" even on his or her best behavior

• Gold Top Dog

Lillie

Temperament
    The Irish Setter has a rollicking personality. Shyness, hostility or timidity are uncharacteristic of the breed. An outgoing, stable temperament is the essence of the Irish Setter.

Around other dogs she doesnt know she is timid.But everything else fits her.

And Jewlieee Jayde is right on about the food. Gosh that pup just wants food all the time. Now my first aussie would eat her 2 meals a day and be fine. And both aussie's love everyone so they arent typical on that part. 

• Gold Top Dog

for mine its Spot on for Kaydee, but not for Ben... but he is supposed to be half American Mastiff (Panja, not the Old English lookalikes) so i dont know how to go about assessing him... he caves under pressure.. isnt not confident.. self preservationist.. Sad 

• Gold Top Dog

I dont have any standards in front of me..but

For Goldens, theyre normally outgoing and friendly with all...and Kodi is not that way.  I usually joke and say Kodi and Diesel switched temperments, sence she really just "tolerates" strangers and other animals.  Shes never aggressive, but can be a bit timid occasionally.  Mostly she just ignores others.  She'll let another animal sniff her, or a stranger pet her, but she just ignores them and doesnt wag her tail, and would never walk up to greet someone she didnt know.

For Akitas- Aloof with strangers, dog aggressive.  Diesel definatly has the dog aggression down.  And thats pure genetic no doubt about it.  The dog has had extensive socialization/training, and has been aggressive sence 4 months old.  He is manageable of course, but i'd never turn him loose with another dog other than the two in my family.  Aloof with strangers- thats funny.  A very well known breeder once told me that "Akitas only tolerate strangers, they do not like them"  Well in that case, he doesnt know any strangers!  Anyone that even looks in his direction is fair game.  Whenever i bring him into work, all it takes is a look and hes bounding at the end of his leash tail wagging to anyone that will give him a bit of attention.  Especially kids.  Nothing but kisses and wigglebuts!   Of course that "guarddog" characteristic does come out.  Dont think your sneaking in our yard when your not known!

For the Beauceron.  Tessa so far fits perfect, except they are also known to be somewhat standoffish of strangers..of course working at a large retail petsore, shes also learned like Diesel theres no such thing as strangers, while on neutral ground.  They should be confident, and never timid nor aggressive.  Thats her forsure.  Shes only 5 months old, so theres been lots of new expereiences, and ive tried to expose her to all sorts of things..and even some things that seem somewhat scary, she'll stand back and examine them for a second, then walk up and get a closer look.  Shes never been the type to tuck her tail and ears and run, nor snap.  Theyre known to catch on quickly, be active and outgoing, but get bored of routine.  This is her.  Shes been amazing at how fast shes caught on, but we cant drill on things over and over.  its nice though, we alternate what we work on, and she learns more, and noone gets bored!

I love Tessa temperment so far.  She fits the standard, and personality/temperment is a big part of why i picked the beauceron breed.

As for Kodi, i love that shes very sweet and layed back and gentle like a golden should be..but sometimes i wish she wasnt so timid, as she is the demo dog for my obedience classes right now.

As for Diesel- i love that hes outgoing and frinedly.  It makes me smile when people step bakck because "theyve heard how aggressive akitas are" or "that big dog is scary" and then they come around and get brave enough to pet him and fall inlove as he rubs on their legs and arches his back for a butt scratch!  Unfortunaly, I wish we could have done away with the dog aggression!

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, for the most part my boy has a typical cairn terrier temperment: tenacious, stubborn, high prey drive, independent, talkative, but not a barker, alert, happy, always ready to go on a walk or play with his toys, not a cuddle-bug. 

However he is not agressive toward any dog (my last cairn always had to be the top dog and was a tester). ALL dogs are his friends and ALL people are his friends.  He scores zero as a watchdog.  He also is totally trustworthy with my guinea pig.  He will not hurt it.  I allow the guinea pig to free roam for his floor time and my cairn's only interest in him is the poop.  My last cairn was the same way.  The guinea pigs were never hurt or frightened.  My cairn is an excellent hunter of rats and mice.  He also unsuccessfully tries to get squirrels and rabbits. He tries to fight possums and skunks.  Deer are of no interest to him. 

• Gold Top Dog

Stick out tongueI think Legend has the temperament of what a Chow SHOULD be, but which doesn't always happen since there are so many BYB Chows out and about, where no attention is paid to temperament(which is what gives them the reputation they have)

Temperament
    Keen intelligence, an independent spirit and innate dignity give the Chow an aura of aloofness.  It is a Chow’s nature to be reserved and discerning with strangers.  Displays of aggression or timidity are unacceptable.  Because of its deep set eyes the Chow has limited peripheral vision and is best approached from the front.

He's definitely a smart guy not sure how independant he is since he's always a foot away from me and is really sad if he accidentally gets shut out of the bathroom when I showerStick out tongue He's not aggressive (he's a favorite at both the vet and the groomer) and is never timid..he's pretty bombproof in most situations.

There doesn't seem to be a temperament standard for yorkies (?!) but Jules seems pretty true to other yorkies I've been around.

And sadly there's no elf standard, but I think that if there were, Ginger would fit it nicely

• Gold Top Dog
    The ideal disposition (For a Labrador Retreiver) one of a kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. Yes, I beleive Hammer has a typical Lab personality. He is gentle and kind around children, and friendly to new peopel without being 'overly friendly'. When he greets people he ussualy sniffs them then moves on unless petted or talked to. He will do almsot anything I ask of him, but he will od it twice as fast if I have food in my hand. lol He has only showed agression towards other unaltered males who he doenst know. (I hope this will fade when he gets gelded >Is large and bouncy, with an enthusiastic attitude toward life
    Definatly Hammer. He is always happy, expecially when it time for a walk. Tail is almost always wagging even if he is just tripping along beside me on the leash. Ham loves being with people, even if its just sitting with his big head on our lap. He can be such a baby, sometimes. :)
    (The Giant Schnauzer)Is versatile -- when well-trained, can learn and do almost anything. Is large and strong, yet also lithe and elegant Has a wiry coat that doesn't shed too much and a whiskery face with a wise expression.
    I have only owned one GS but I would say this fits Joe pretty well. Even tho he counts as a senior dog he still learns new tricks easily. Once her learns something new it sticks with him. He doenst shed nearly as much as my other two boys do but he still needs brushing/clipping. The last bit is so very true. Everytime someone meets Joe they always remark about how 'old' he looks. His ears and tail are natural so he donest look asscary as others of his breed looks pretty 'wise', especially when he has not been clipped for awhile.
    His temperment is shyer and more timid then it should be.

No real standard for mixedbreeds.
    Charlie is a healthy mix of Husky/Golden traits. He doesnt like to recall when he gets a romp through the woods but learns agility very easily. Charlie is calm when meeting other dogs nad people, he perfers to ignore everyone unless they speak or touch him. He isnt afraid to fight if challenged but otherwise will not start a fight. Probably the prettiest of my boys, he acts like a prissy woman who knows how pretty she is. lol It can be a pain when he meets new people and they offer out a hand for him and he moves away. But its good when on the agility practice course and somenes pup gets zoomies, Charlie completly ignores them and continues on the course. ><
    • Gold Top Dog

Misty's a Border Collie, and I would have to say her temperment is very much that of a BC.  I even think better!  Being a BC, and them being herders and mostly dealing w/ animals, since there's no animals for her to herd other than her own miniture sheep (Tabitha, Maltese) and the cat (Tigger), she does exceptionally well with people!  Not that I expected anything different, but she's just GREAT!

I would have to say positive w/ our lifestyle, but then again, we actually brought her into our lifestyle.  We love to boat in the spring, summer and fall, so, when we first got her we introduced her to the River and she took to it like a natural (w/ a little help from Max, the black lab).  So, we are very pleased w/ her.  She even enjoys the boat ride, which I was concerned about, since BC's have sensitive hearing the motor on the boat can get loud, but she handles it like she was born there!

• Gold Top Dog

The UKC breed standard states:

The Alaskan Klee Kai is very curious, active, quick and agile. His loyalty and alertness make the Alaskan Klee Kai an excellent watchdog who may be territorial despite his small size. While affectionate with family members, the Alaskan Klee Kai is reserved and cautious with strangers and in unfamiliar situations.

Yep, that sounds about right.  Honor depicts the first sentence to a "T".  She's extremely active, always bounding around the apartment, and is forever getting into everything.  Honor is very alert in terms of the comings and goings of the apartment, and always alerts us when someone's in the hallway. 

Where she diverts from the standard is the last sentence.  I've actually tried hard to help Honor not to be too reserved or suspicious.  AKKs can be very wary of strangers, which causes undue stress on the dog AND the people trying to pet him/her.  So DH and I have socialized her like crazy since day one.  She exhibits some of the caution with strangers, but there's no wariness or fear.  (Actually, we always describe her as a flirt, because she'll run up to you, lick and sniff, then bound away!).

So all in all, Honor's a solid AKK.  And I wouldn't have it any other way. Smile